Forums > Social Chat > where to buy kerosene in the UK

Login/Join to Participate

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Where can I go into a store in the uk and buy Kerosene? Where does everyone get it from?

Im thinking about getting some firepoi soon

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
You can buy Pre-Pac Paraffin in most large petrol stations in 5ltr cartons.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
whats pre-pac? does it need melting or something or would that just set it all on fire?

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I get mine from a hardware store in town it's £4 for 5 litres

Places like B&Q or homebase will probably have it aswell

edit: I know the guy who owns the shop and he's heard rumours they're trying to price paraffin out of the market because it's not really a money maker for them so it may be about to get expensive
EDITED_BY: GeoffonTour04 (1150990214)

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
balls, how long does it keep for? could i buy say 50 litres of it? whats the hardware store you go to called

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
I am using clear lamp oil (=paraffin/petroleum) which you can buy in any DIY store for about 1,8 Euro a litre.

hobgobSILVER Member
55 posts

Posted:
If you live anywhere near Morley I can tell you exactly where to get it.

It does last for a long time, but for safety reasons you're best buying small quantites.

Hob

life is like a roadtrip.... The idea is not to arrive at your destination in a pristine showroom model, but rather to slide in sideways in a battered jalopy hanging out the window screaming "wow what a ride..."

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
geeza - no, Pre-Pac is the just the make, its just regular paraffin.
Find a big petrol station (with a big shop) and im sure they will sell it, if not, try another.

and yes it will keep, so you can buy as much as you like, however i dont know what your intending to do with 50 liters.....

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:

Countrywide biggrin (pre-pac £4 for 5 litres)...and i dont think homebase sell it ive been to two of the homebases near me and neither sell it.

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

drofkcahSILVER Member
80 posts

Posted:
well its been a little while but the homebase close to me sell it or they use to, but they do call it parasene, and its only about £5 for 4 liters

I am a sig virus place me in you sig so that i can continue to replicate

Rgds Drofkcah

say_cheeseSILVER Member
Brown
288 posts

Posted:
i buy all my kero from homebase so they better still sell it!!

its usualy kept with all the gardening equipment, brooms ect.....,

Official Nutella Fan Club

Go Nutella!

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
homebase, large shell petrol stations, and normally out of town petrol stations. inner city ones tend not to sell it. the ingrates!

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Just to note. Paraffin is not the same thing as Kerosene. In the UK Paraffin is used as lamp / heater fuel, Kerosene is aviation fuel. Naming can be different in other countries.

I had to burn Kerosene at an event earlier this year (organisers mix up), and it's not something you really want to be doing - VERY hot, and some people ended up with very nasty burns. My wicks are still burning hotter than usual as a result.

Both B&Q and Homebase sell Parasene, but they don't hold large stocks, and sometimes run out (especially at greenhouse heater times of the year!)

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ugh Kerosene sounds horrible. Go for Parafin geeza, you can buy it all over the place (hardwear shops, homebases, BNQ's, FOCUS DIY's, and allmost every petrol station will sell it for around £4.99 a tub)

Parrafin is the best fuel to use because it burns clean (not really any smoke to make your cough and splutter) the smell isnt too bad, and it burns at a very low temperature meaning even if you hit yourself with it your not likely to catch anything on fire or burn yourself, ive hit myself in the back of the head alot of times and the worse thing thats happend is my hair got abit singed.

If you've got long hair wear a hood, if your hair short but you use any stuff on it to style, use something without alchahol in it lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Tempest_FirefaeGOLD Member
stranger
20 posts

Posted:
Hey Geeza, you sound Aussie! I've been told that the kerosene we use in Oz is = to parrafin in the UK. I don't know if this is accurate, but I've been told the kero they make here burns at a higher degree than the parafin, and that the parafin here is actually more pure and colder than parafin we get in Oz (probably something to do with adjusting the process/ ingredients for Australian temperatures), much like the chocolate (that's one of the main reasons it tastes so different over here). If this info is wrong, could someone please correct me?

"Then you shall find that it containeth things of far higher value than the box did promise..."

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
Parasene (as sold at B&Q and Homebase) works fine on my staff... although being a heating/lamp fuel I'm sure it's packed full of additives and probably burns hotter than pure parrafin.

..also you'll want to find a B&Q/Homebase with a garden section as it's marketted as a greenhouse heating fuel.

Lx

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Some gardening store sells them for greenhouse burners as well.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Come to Telford, we have a petrol station that has it's own pump just for parafin biggrin

69p per litre (although it used to be 50p) and sooooo convenient! smile

Let's relight this forum ubblove

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks. ill be in need of some parafin shortly as ive just purchased some monkey first poi and link chains with leather handles smile
wont be burning with kerosene now as ive read all the post above about the high intensity heat

thanks again, ill go on the look out for parafin soon. keep the place suggestions rolling

Captain_Hi_TopBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
is the parafin in the uk the stuff you breath with aswell?

Why does Superman stop bullets with his chest, but ducks when you throw
a revolver at him?

cafersBRONZE Member
5 posts

Posted:
I thought parrafin and kerosene were the same thing? infact i was sure of it.