Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
Last night I had a bad case of the hiccups and my mate did a cure on me which I must admit is the best cure I have ever had for them, and they stopped immediately! Here's how it goes:

Get the hiccuping mate to stand on one leg and put their little fingers in their ears. Then get a glass of water and pour it into your mate's mouth while he's doing this and then, hey presto, no more hiccups!

He reckons he's got a 100% success rate with his methods so next time you've got them give this a try, it really works!

Are there any other techniques that you know work for this too?

Happy spinning,

Salinger

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
take a glass of water and try to drink it competely bent over forwards... i know it sounds really strange, but it also does work...

i like your method, gotta kep it in mind

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I just do some breathing excersizes and if that doesn't work I run untill I get out of breath (which isn't very long)

NickCMonkey Wrangler
183 posts

Posted:
All I do is slow down my breathing rate for probably 10-20 seconds and it almost always works.

NothingsPerfectmember
79 posts

Posted:
I've always just held my breath for a while. It works about 95% of the time...there are those few stubborn hiccups that just won't go away. Hiccupping is an involuntary spasm of the diaphraghm, I believe, which is why controlling your breathing can cure hiccups.

~And when the day arrives I'll become the sky, and I'll become the sea, and the sea will come to kiss me for I am going home. Nothing can stop me now.~

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I've heard of breathing into a paper bag, being tickled into exhaution, drinking from the opposite side of a glass, all marginaly effective.

It has always been my firm belief that most hiccup cures are not designed to stop them, but rather to make the person look completely foolish.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

Magickal_Kaleidoscopemember
119 posts

Posted:
nothing beats the original.

hide behind something jump out and scream boo!!!!! in there face.
if it doesn't work u didn't say boo properly
it is pronounced b-uuu

jim bombadilmember
142 posts

Posted:
years ago I'd been hicuping for about 3 days solid. My friend said to me Try hiccuping "SATAN" so as my next hiccup came I mouthed the name of the dark prince and I stoped hiccuping. I didn't hiccup again for maybee 4 years, not once. I figured I must of sold my soul to the devil to be free of my hiccups. One day at college I was talking to a Christian friend of mine. I told her I was sorry but I couldn't share her religion as I'd allready sold my soul. She told me that her God would never let me sell my soul for something so silly and the next day I hiccuped!! Spooky huh?

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Prometheus:

It has always been my firm belief that most hiccup cures are not designed to stop them, but rather to make the person look completely foolish.

I'm pretty sure I probably looked like a complete prat when I did this!

But I think that it's only from distracting the hiccuping person that the hiccups go away, or by using the breathing techniques that other people do, which don't really work for me.

And btw, that Satan thing is f***ing wierd mate!

[ 04. February 2003, 02:14: Message edited by: Salinger ]

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
I discovered a cure when I was 8 that I have used ever since. All you need is a mouthful of water and the hiccups will be gone in 10 seconds, guaranteed. It hasn't failed me yet.

Get that mouthful of water, tip your head back as far as possible, and swallow a bit. Then bend over as far as possible and swallow a bit more. Then tip your back again and swallow the rest.

It works on the same basis that drinking from the opposite side of the glass work on, and you look significantly less silly (but not completely sane either).

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
To cure hiccups without looking insane or even slightly strange press on both sides of your throat, with one hand fingers one side thumb the other, just under your your jaw so you can feel your windpipe under slight pressure. Using the other hand dring from a glass of water.* Guaranteed to work every time.

*Also works using beer, fizzy drinks or any drinkable liquid instead of water.

Are we nearly there yet?