Page:
BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
under the bridge of spinning goodness i was asked by pyrolific if i cold do a antispin weave.... i didnt know what he was talking about and nether did he apparently... i did an antispin fountain as my best attempt... so please tell me were we talking about an actual existing movement here or was josh just sprouting crap?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
nah your friend was right the move does exist. Take a look at this

itll take me years to learn that sort of stuff

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
man thats a shocker - [Old link] is even on the first page!

not that i understand it particularly well or anything.

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Triptoemember
71 posts

Posted:
What the hell is that!!eek is that the weave backwards??? that video confuses me!!

-I love goats and cheesecake-

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
normally when spinning forwards in the weave your arms go one on top the other on top (arm over arm) (and contiue to do so until you stop weaving) backwards weave arms do the opposite... one goes under the other... an antispin weave is when spinning forwards one arm crosses under then the other crosses under... i can do it now so thank you all for refering me to the proper thread... but i have officially labeled this move as crap... thats right i think its poor.... ubblol maybe if the timing was perfect and you created a small four petal flower in frount of you i would be good but other than that its just gay ubblol

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
brett, if you could, could you post a video of a normal 'simple' antispin weave without all the other stuff like 5beat, behind the back, isolated... etc

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
changed my mind on that... i like it alot now ubblol hmm...

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
sorry im a hippy without a camera or an idea of how to post a video ubblol

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
^ get a crap one for £30 or so and youtube it all

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
thirty quid.... not on a perforers salary ubblol nah i have a camera doesnt work though.... but try this... from forwards weave you notice that when crossing from the right hand side to the left hand side your right hand goes above the left to make the cross over.... no all antispin is, is instead of crossing your right over left cross your right under your left (might have to raise your left hand a bit and use short poi!) then reverse roles going the opposite way and bobs the ol proverbial

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I have some basic movements that I was workin out in a vid in my gallery section here.. It's a bit crap and not quite right, but gives an idea of hte movements.

Here's a link:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

It's kinda hard to see from the angle, but the hand underneath is crossing over first.

Anyways, I need to update that with a better vid.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
thanks for that... thats pretty much what im doing... cept im playing with different patterns/timing as well smile

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
Ya know, I've been spinning for a while now and consider myself a pretty darn good poi-er, not a master or jedi by any means, but pretty good in my own right. I however don't really video myself and honestly don't care to do so. And I don't really watch many peoples vids honestly because there's only so many times I can see people doing a weave. But one person who just puts me to shame every time I think i'm getting good is RobertBruce (also goes by pupdogg i believe). His vids have made me jump up and run outside to try stuff more times than probably anyone else on here.

But to get to the point, one of the things I saw some time ago on one of his vids was the antispin weave. If you check this vid of his [Old link] and skip to exactly 1:40 he starts a forwards antispin weave and keeps it for about 5 secs or so. S'not much but at the moment its the best example of a well done forward antispin weave I can recall.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
right so, decided i'd put off actually learning to do this move for too long, so in typical me fashion i sat here in front of my computer for a while trying to beat my mind into shape to visualize the movements needed to do the antispin weave. (I find if i think/visualise before even trying a move i get it soooooo much faster). anwyays, after a bit went and tried and on the second go around got it down and am now in the process of cleaning up, fixing the planes and all, seems my planes go a bit sideways doing this move. AAAAANYWAY long story short, got it both ways now and have just spent about 15 min working it into a full antispin weave fountain. and man is that freaking weird but watching in the reflection it looks cool.

Suibom, you are very close in that video to getting it, obviously u know you have way to many beats but the basics are there. the thing that threw me at first is the arm extension/contraction that is necessary to make this move look actually circular.

The 3 main hand positions that ya need to this move are: Over opposite shoulder, under opposite arm (about waistish level for good looks), and straight out in front about shoulder height. your hands move from one to the other in that order, one hand 1 beat behind the other.

The real trick here is getting the crossover to work right. As everyone knows a normal 3bt weave is Over Under Out, and the anti spin version is no different. What IS different is HOW your arms cross. in a normal 3bt weave after the "over" part (say if we are concentrating on your right hand for this move) your left arm would essentially contract inward and up while your right hand would go up-out-down-in inorder to make the arm position switch happen. (don't believe me, do the 3bt forwards motions with your hands right now, see how one hand pulls in a bit to make room for the other to cross? told ya so) Well no more! In an ANTISPIN weave (once again following right hand) after you do the over part (which is over your left shoulder btw) you LEAVE your left arm straight out (actually the left hand is at this very moment going into the "out" part of the 3bt) and pull your right hand over to the right just a tad ("inside" if you will) so the poi can clear your left arm. Then you essentially go UNDER your bicep for the "under" part. Now, while your right hand is moving inside->down->under your LEFT hand is doing out->up->Over (over right shoulder). Also what should be understood here is that the "out" part of the antispin weave is "Out" in 2 ways, both the poi is spinning the 1 beat on the same side (left on left, or right on right) AND the arm is litterally stretched STRAIGHT out in front of you.

anyways, this is all very very confusing im sure as all poi text explanations tend to be, if i have time I'll clarify with a lil drawing later.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
in the video it just sort of looked like an isolated weave. I know im wrong but thats all i see

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
imbalance thats exactly where i went antispin fontain... get the timing good and its really quite funky

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
so, is this a forwards weave, but with the arm movements of a reverse weave (plus a little modification to make the chains fit through)

Or am I oversimplifying?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
no, in actuality you are STILL doing the same general motions as a normal forwards weave, Over->Under->Out. you are simply changing the manner in which the poi "cross" each other AND adding a long arm in there (a lockout if u will...)

whats happening is your are doing a forwards weave (clockwise looking on from right) but moving each hand in an over all circle that is reverse (counter-clockwise looking on from the right).

BrettStarPLATINUM Member
old festy hand
765 posts

Posted:
actally i agree with geoffon... hmm... will think about this latter...

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Imbalance - i very much disagree. Unless you're doing some completely different movement that is also weaving and antispin, which is possible i guess shrug

My forwards antispin weave (and all others i've seen) definitely go Under->Over->Out->

but i wouldn't say it's "arm movements of a reverse weave", because antispin hand movements look and feel totally different. Less like a circle, and more like this

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
My antispin weaves are super sloppy but you can definitely feel and see the antispin. I agree, Under->Over->Out-> is the pattern on the forwards weave.

I took a look at the pupdogg vid link above at 1:40. It sort of looks like an antispin weave but I'm pretty sure the poi heads are not crossing inside under the arm. What he does looks more like a long arm isolated weave.

Check out the ros & oli vid "Sending Signals to Spaceships" for a good antispin weave example. 3:58 into it to be exact.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
ahem, now that you've SEEN the antispin weave i refer to... it IS antispin its simply in a different manner than you 2 are talking about. hands do reverse circle, poi spin forward. :-P man wish i had a video camera.

but yes, the under-over-out is also antispin, just way more complicated.

but if you don't wanna call what i'm talking about a correct antispin weave then fine, what is it?

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Yep, it is an antispin pattern and it is a 3 beat weave which makes it an antispin weave. It's also a long arm isolated weave tongue and you can mix it with the other antispin weave.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

RovoGOLD Member
(the person actually known as Chris Bailey)
544 posts

Posted:
Just thought I would add a lil bit about turning antispin weaves for those new to the concept.

When you turn a normal weave 180 degrees you make the turn as the poi swing to the same side as your turning. So if you're turning to the left as the poi swing to the left side you start/make your turn.

When you turn an antispin weave, you use the same relationship as there is between the hand motions in a normal and antispin weave. You do the opposite!

So if you're turning an antispin weave to the left, instead of making the turn when the poi are on the left you make/start the turn while the poi are on the right side of the body. Then you'll be able to go right into a rev antispin weave. If you try to turn when the poi are on the same side you're hands will come together and you'll end up doing a 5 beat variation or something that is not an antispin weave.

Peace, Love, Circles

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Not sure if I misunderstand or disaggree there confused If you turn to the left with the poi on the right hand side of your body don't your arms just colide with your torso? And I think I've been managing to turn antispin weaves as normal, turn left as the poi move left etc, without needing extra beats. As I say I might just be misunderstanding, and my antispin weaves aren't that tight yet. I don't have time now but tomorrow I'll put up a video of me failing to turn the way you recommend and seemingly managing it the normal way so you can see what I mean, and all being well put me to rights wink

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Ok, I've put a vid of my antispin turns on youtube. YouTube's made it a bit pixely and faster than it was, but you get the gist. Rovo, would you mind having a look to see how it compares to what you weredescribing? And anyone else with any advice would be cool. It's not that tidy yet but it reels about right, and the beats before, during and after the turn match those in a normal werave turn. Anyhoo, comments please smile

Edited to put the link in redface
EDITED_BY: Tom_Shill (1153159465)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
that sure looks like turning forward to backward antispin weave to me.
Tis exactly how i does it smile

360 antispin weaves are mental, what with the constant poi heads whooshing toward and away from your face as dizziness slowly mounts.
I was doing them at a bashment night in stockwell once, and the bouncer came up to me and asked what martial arts i was studying.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
bounce2Hehe, awesome. Thanks simian smile

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
The anti-spin weave turns I do are a little bit different.

When I do anti-spin weaves I don't straighten my arms out at all and my wrists go directly under one another during the crossover. Then when I turn to the right doing a forward antispin weave I make the turn when the right poi is on the left side of my body. When I turn to the left my left poi is on the right side of my body. This way there are no extra beats when I go into a reverse antispin weave.

I have a bunch of editing to do on some other videos but I'll try and get outside sometime today to make a clip of the way I turn anti-spin weaves. smile

Peace, Love, Circles

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
A video would be great. I still can't figure out how that would work. Just as a quick note, there aren't any extra beats this way either. It might look like there are but if you compare it with a normal weave turn it's exactly the same.

But yeah, bring on the video, I can't wait to see what this looks like! smile

RovoGOLD Member
544 posts

Posted:
I will put a video up later tonight when I go home.

The thing that makes me confused by your turns is that our antispin weaves look so different. I'm going to go shoot the clip now and I'll have it up as soon as I can. ubbrollsmile

Peace, Love, Circles

Page: