Forums > Social Chat > Now i remember why i hate summer...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Well its that time again, the point i hit every year, where ive been looking forward to summer for months, and as if by magic the Hayfever demon appears, sticks his fingers up my nose and pokes a stick in my eye.....

and man does it p*** me off. I spend the whole summer battling against rubbing my eyes, and hugging a box of kleenex (quit laughing at the back) for moral support.
And i cant find any drugs that work..... at all, clarityn my arse...

Its such a lame allergy, but its so easy to forget just how controlling it can be, and how it can reduce you to a dribbling mess in a matter of minutes.

Im sure there are others here that know what i mean, and i need help! can anyone suggest anything that helps???? ive tried most of the tablets/eyedrops and i know about the spoon full of honey thing but it doesnt do much...

someone come and cut off my nose......

frown

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Bumpetybumpbumpbump

Well, my hayfever officially kicked in today eek This year I'm going to do something about it, anything about it.

I'll take a look at the Flonase stuff when I leave work, but are you able to drink while taking it? Its beer garden season and I don't wanna stick to orange juice haha. Last year I ended up a wreck for 4 months, eyes so swollen I could hardly see (anyone who saw me around 3pm any day at PLAY will attest that).

Has anyone any experience with anything like this? I've had good experiences with reki treatments before so I tend to trust those who offer reki as one of their services. £200 for a permanent cure seems pretty reasonable to me, assuming I don't get ripped off, but it also seems a bit much to be true....

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
dunno if that would work but it's worth a shot yah?

beer garden? that seems to mean one thing to me as a stater and something completely different when you actually go to the u.k. and sit in the "beer garden"...which in my experience was a concrete patio with cheezy garden furniture and plastic umbrellas.

there are some methods of herbal therapy you could pursue as well, if you're brave ;3 i find the byproduct of smoking a certain herb causes my sinuses to completely empty. due to the nature of the herb, though, i only get that treat once in a great while. /sigh

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :willworkforfoodjnr

I'll take a look at the Flonase stuff when I leave work, but are you able to drink while taking it?

The beauty of Flonase and other nasal steroids is that the absorption into the body is negligible. Thus, there are no interactions with alcohol, foods, or other medications. The effect is completely local and there are no steroid side-effects from using it.

Reiki is great for many things, but not for allergies.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I went and got some Flixonase spray. Not made much effect yet, but its only about 18hrs since I started taking it, so fingers crossed smile

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I've never been able to take anything for my allergies. It either makes me tired or it makes me jittery. I've considered taking a children allergy med as the amount of active ingredients might be better for me than the adult

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I think I'm beginning to get a bit of hayfever too... my nose and eyes don't stream, but I get a real itchy feeling on the roof of my mouth, which I'm pretty sure is sinus related (or I could be getting some strange virus, there's a few of them floating around at the moment). I keep trying to scratch my mouth with my tongue, which doesn't really work well!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
i am not particularly a fan of pharmaceuticals, unless there is absolute dire need.

black tea, echinacea, honey and vitamin c get me through just about every ache and pain and cold and allergy season

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

3,556 posts

Posted:
does nothing for me

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

I went and got some Flixonase spray. Not made much effect yet, but its only about 18hrs since I started taking it, so fingers crossed smile

It's a MINIMUM of 72 hours before you will notice an effect.

I usually recommend to my patients that they use a good-going shot of saline spray just before using a nasal steroid. That cleans all the goop (that's a technical term) out of the nose so that the steroid can actually contact the mucosa and exert its effect.

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :faithinfire

I've never been able to take anything for my allergies. It either makes me tired or it makes me jittery. I've considered taking a children allergy med as the amount of active ingredients might be better for me than the adult

I assure you that a nasal steroid will have no such effect. Since it is not absorbed into the circulation, it cannot have any effects outside the nose. You do need a prescription for it in the U.S., though.

-Mike

3,556 posts

Posted:
And this is why I don't know who to vote for
smile
I have no health insurance

Faith

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK now this is fairly left field and I may be glumped by medicos for mentioning it.. but...

I used to get vile allergies, primarily to mould spores and house dust. Very similar effect to hay fever though a different trigger. My then husband had the classic hay fever, triggered by pollens, particularly grass pollens. A right pair of snotty red eyed miseries we were.

Both of us switched our diets, following the 'eat according to your ABO blood type' system. We have different blood types: I am a B; he is an O.. He had to lose a lot more items than I did. Was totally worth it though, for both of us.

It was quite amazing how quickly I lost the allergies..a month or so and it all calmed down and I haven't had allergies for about 8 years now. I also lost assorted other symptoms, gut swelling etc that would not seem connected, but had also caused distress. In the meantime, sure, why not use the sorts of drugs Mike is suggesting.. but calming the body down by losing irritating foods so it doesn't freak out with the extra load of allergens is the long term answer in my book. If I eat not good for B things now, I really feel the irritation quickly. The gut reacts first.. the rest would follow I'm sure. But I don't go back to the foods that don't suit my blood type, and I stay clear eyed and unsnotty. Easy. There is a lot of info on the internet about it; the basic stuff is by a chap called D'adamo.

This system (particularly its somewhat fanciful 'evolutionary' theories about why it works) are is easily dismissed as having no scientific basis. My experience of it would rightly be dismissed as 'anecdotal not evidence based'. However as 100% of the people I know who follow it (about 8) have had entirely positive outcomes.. and following it does not mean a diet that is overly restricted or unbalanced in terms of proteins etc, it could be worth giving a shot. Will not harm, may very much help. Maybe later down the track someone will figure out why it works (which I'm sure will be different to what Mr D'adamo has hypothesised) For myself, I don;t really mind if it's because it makes the pixie aliens happy... I no longer have the crappy symptoms I had.

Good luck, snotheads wink hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :newgabe

We have different blood groups: I am a B; he is an O.. he had to lose a lot more items than I did. Totally worth it though.

Depends on your "blood group diet" people.

In Michigan, I saw a case of folate deficiency from someone who was following one of those diets.

-Mike

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Kneejerk, Mike. Why would someone have folate problems? because they cut out all greens?
That sounds like personal extremism rather than what I am talking about. Really now, we can come up with bad reactions from any approach.. iatrogenic reactions to drugs etc. Straining ligaments doing yoga...Idiots who lose all their protein cos they are being... whatever....

The things I had to cut out were basically chicken, soy, wheat and tomatoes. Leaves a hell of a lot else to eat. I eat an extremely wide diet and thrive. With no allergies.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

Kneejerk, Mike. Why would someone have folate problems? because they cut out all greens?
That sounds like personal extremism rather than what I am talking about.

No, it means that you have to be careful of elimination diets. Nothing more.

You're an adult. If you feel that it helped you to eliminate all chocolate, then that's great for you (and I pity you wink ). Go ahead and do it; I won't stop you.

I personally find that there are fewer side-effects to using a nose spray once daily than to following an elimination diet. The side-effects of elimination diets include a feeling of deprivation, social isolation (can't eat what everyone else is eating), and possible nutritional deficiencies, depending on how extreme the elimination diet is.

-Mike

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Nah, I can eat chocolate. Thanks for the sympathy though.hug

The so called 'social deprivation' thing for me is that I really don't like wine. Not a bit. Nothing to do with health, it just makes me feel sick. And soooo many people try to force it on me cos they assume I must be deprived if I don't like it! Or like I am judging them by not wanting what they want.

I understand your point about elimination diets though. I did my thesis on extreme control/elimination diets (particularly ones that talk about 'balancing' on an increasingly narrow fulcrum) as a form of eating disorder. As an old hippie, I've seen a lot of off-the-rails food tripping.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

I understand your point about elimination diets though. I did my thesis on extreme control/elimination diets (particularly ones that talk about 'balancing' on an increasingly narrow fulcrum) as a form of eating disorder. As an old hippie, I've seen a lot of off-the-rails food tripping.

Someone actually proposed a new eating disorder called Orthorexia nervosa (or something like that).

Basically, it's food fadism taken to a point where it becomes disordered an unhealthy. Like people who won't eat anything unless it was picked directly out of the ground less than 15 minutes before they eat it.
Orthorexia.com has some information on it.

I'm not saying, of course, that anyone who follows a special or "alternative" diet has orthorexia nervosa. But we all know those people. The endless "water fasts," the refusal to eat anything that isn't organic and raw, the constant nagging and criticism of others, etc. It's usually just annoying but it can be fatal.

-Mike

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Well, I'll only eat food grown by monks under 5'4, wearing one blue sandal, chanting the theme to "Fresh prince of bell air" under their breath.

It can be awkward eating out sometimes...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

Well, I'll only eat food grown by monks under 5'4, wearing one blue sandal, chanting the theme to "Fresh prince of bell air" under their breath.

It can be awkward eating out sometimes...

Sounds like a fantastic weight loss plan! wink

-Mike

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
My hate of summer is beginning to show....its the beginning of May....and about 98 degrees out there......

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

flyingpenguinnimember
114 posts

Posted:
YUuuuuuuuuuuuuhu!!!! Summer!! oh my god i have been waiting for this 18 months!!! Its hot and i dont need to wear a hat and scarf and i can actually go in t shirt and flip flops... summer!!! i can go a juggle in the park wile my friends play frisby!!!.

You guys... dont tell me that you preffer the wet and cold winter to this.

For the highfever.... well i get it aswell, not very bad but Honey from the region where i am helps me a lot. Plus i Love honey...

I had to beat him to death with his own shoes... but that's another story all together.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
I hate summer too... not because of allergies but because i BURN....

Yesterday i was only out for four hours, teaching kids circus skills at a summer fair and had factor 20 on every half hour with a good cloud covering and STILL BURNT.

Stupid fair skin and heratige.

Bring on the factor 50.... frown

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So about that... I just learned from a dermatologist that sunblock doesn't protect against skin cancer and aging because it doesn't block UVA.

There are two major wavelengths of UV light from the sun, UVA and UVB. UVA was always thought to be "safe." And then we started noticing that sunblock was making things worse. This is because sunblock only blocks UVB. So you can be out surfing or whatever all day and soaking up all those UVA rays without getting burnt. Turns out UVA isn't so harmless, after all. And it's not blocked by glass (UVB is).

So there *are* broad-spectrum sunblocks. They contain zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, or something called PARASOL. Make sure that any sunblock you use is a broad-spectrum agent. Zinc and titanium oxides are white, but in 7.5% strength will eventually blend in with skin.

-Mike

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
smile Thanks Doc, i will be out tomorrow to try and get my hands on some! Even if it is white i doubt it will make me much paler than i already am!

Anything to stop myself burning. i was starting to think the onlyother remidiy was to stay indoors all summer frown

toobs
x

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Wearing clothes and a broad-brimmed hat helps, too.

-Mike

enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
tongue are you insinuating i don't wear clothes!!?? wink

I usually cover up too, but it's tough when it's so warm!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
spiders....that's what I hate about summer. All winter I don't see them and then soon as it gets sunny the little buggers come inside!!!! Go out and enjoy the sunshine and stop terrorising me!!!!

That and the birch tree wood at the back of my house has just started releasing pollen BLEH

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by biggrinoc Lightning

sunblock doesn't protect against skin cancer...zinc oxide

Hey is that the good old fashioned Zinc Cream that surfers used to always have smeared over their noses? And now cricketers apparently...
Non-Https Image Link

doing it v. sexy style...

Twas part of our Aussie summers for many decades before this current crop of ubiquitous sunblocks. Summer is fierce here, you can feel the UV bite in the middle of the day.. even in winter people wear sunblock (I don't, I can't stand the feel of them and have lucky tanny skin anyway) I'm not surprised to hear they don't help against skin cancer, in fact I'm just waiting till they tell us there's some nasty chemical in them that triggers some other sort of cancer. c.y.n.i.c

And parasol... um, that's be those umbrella thingies, right?

Natty. Hard to work with though. Burqa starts making sense round about now!

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
I had jelly eye this evening for the first time this year.... frown

And ive been doing the local honey thing again. Obviously not enough... Maybe if i cover myself head to toe in it....

*starts pouring honey into the bath tub*

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Woooohoooo! The nasal spray worked almost perfectly. Yesterday was the first time in years I could smell a flower without going on a massive sneezing mission. I can't believe I'd overlooked this remedy - I guess I just assumed all the drugs were based on the same active ingredient.

Thanks so much Doc, summer is looking like something fun again biggrin

Page: