Forums > Social Chat > Now i remember why i hate summer...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Well its that time again, the point i hit every year, where ive been looking forward to summer for months, and as if by magic the Hayfever demon appears, sticks his fingers up my nose and pokes a stick in my eye.....

and man does it p*** me off. I spend the whole summer battling against rubbing my eyes, and hugging a box of kleenex (quit laughing at the back) for moral support.
And i cant find any drugs that work..... at all, clarityn my arse...

Its such a lame allergy, but its so easy to forget just how controlling it can be, and how it can reduce you to a dribbling mess in a matter of minutes.

Im sure there are others here that know what i mean, and i need help! can anyone suggest anything that helps???? ive tried most of the tablets/eyedrops and i know about the spoon full of honey thing but it doesnt do much...

someone come and cut off my nose......

frown

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i've got really bad hayfever myself, no drugs have ever worked for me, in any dosage. a friend of mine had the injection though and said it was brilliant. your doctor will only give it to you if you are really badly suffering at the time when you go and see him/her, and they will not give it to you again next year. they may consider you for the year after. apparently its been linked to a bone defect so thats why they wont give it to you year after year.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I've never really sufferd from hayfever before but my sister gets it really bad frown

Summer means bad for me as well. I'm extremly fair skinned and burn really easily, and by the end of a hot day I'm usually a lobster-esque sun-stroked wobbly lump!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I can breath!

Huzzah!

I won\'t have people bad mouth summer.

Its the bestest time of the year. Ever!

biggrin

Might I recommend one of these?

Non-Https Image Link

wink

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I share your pain.
I'm sick year round, in summer- hayfever, winter- colds... I can't win.
All I can say is, go and see your doctor, see if they have recommendations for coping.
Also go and see a natural medicine type person (drawing a mental blank on correct name) as they usually have some good natural remedies

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ubblol FRD your willing to lend me your weekend leisure suit? thats kind!
strangely though it always seems to calm down when i spin fire, paraffin fumes maybe! ubbloco

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
thanks hanz, i actually havent tried the herbal remedy route yet....

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Did the honey you tried have pollen mixed into it? Normal honey doesn't actually contain much pollen, so to have any beneficial effect it should have some of the pollen the bees have collected added to it. It also has to be local honey. Making friends with the local beekeeping society is useful here!
Should be noted that in some cases it can worsen syptoms rather than helping though, and won't help at all if it's grass pollen that causes your hayfever cos bees don't collect that.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I'm having trouble thinking of natural helpers for hayfever, I can only think of the one for the flu, which might help in some ways... ask if you want it
(sorry about my english, despite it being my only language, it doesn't always make sense)

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
My mum and I got some stuff from tesco that claims to be homeopathic tablets for hayfever and rhinitus, but you can take 4 of them every half hour, I'm not sure they did much but then I only have some while I was at home over the weekend shrug

I find antihistamines work, but not for 24 hours confused I find myself sneezing and scratching my eyesbefore the end of the day but I'm not supposed to take another frown
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1150844765)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i only have it in certain situations, i think its a northeastern grass and some pollution what does me in... and i would love to know a cure myself, i've tried like every medicine there is, thank god being inside or being out in the cityh when its windy isn't *too* bad....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
grass... argh... *hides indoors*
i have a cold now tho so i get confused as to whats worse...
the rain today should help

*hugs to all fellow sufferers*

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Just don't get as desperate as I said did and accept a jab in the bum of prednisilone, I swear it did absolutely nothing (except make me feel like I could swim a marathon the next day... and I can't swim!)

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

*looks at all the english people* you guys know nothing about pollen and sunburn... Telfast is the sh*t me and my sister both get hayfeaver really bad, i mainly stay inside and yell at anyone who opens a door or window, but if i have to go outside, telfast, i think the one in the blue packet.

my only non-drug related tip is Use Your Tumble Dryer. don't leave your clothes, towels or bed-sheets outside to get covered in pollen.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
hey! we're not all English in here!
Telfast only works for me part time, sometimes it will sometimes it won't... it's quite annoying. Although I usually used the telfast in the green packet... what's the difference?

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
i don't remember, long time since summer. i think they just work differant ways... the red one's not too bad either but the pills are about the size of a small car... haven't used the green one...

i know you're not english, that's why i was looking at the english people tongue

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
I might have to have a better look this summer, seeing as I have Jamboree at Elmore which being central Vic is nothing but dirt these days (and therefore... dust!!)
You get used to taking tablets the size of small cars, before I go to QLD Im on Vit B or C which taste terrible and are huge!! (but they reduce the affects of midgies)

Suchislifenewbie
7 posts

Posted:
yeah it sure does suck i share in the pain of hayfever, attempting to put eye dops in without blinking them out eek i hate em an the tablets ewe like chalk tis not good oh well life goes on lol getting use to taking the bad with the good :- sunshine is good yay!!! = tanning times! sunny x

I PITTY THE FOOL !

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sketch

Im sure there are others here that know what i mean, and i need help! can anyone suggest anything that helps????

You're in the UK. So you can get this remedy over the counter, and it WORKS!!!!!! Yes, it WORKS!!!

There are two at least that I know of available OTC in the UK, 1) Rhinocort and 2) Flixonase/Flonase.

For both of these, you take 1-2 sprays in each nostril once daily. These will fix the runny nose, the itchy eyes, and the cough. They DO work. Side-effects are very rare and are usually very brief (sneezing right after the spray, an odd smell, burning, all lasting for about a minute). It usually takes 3-4 days for it to start working, although you may notice some improvement in as soon as 24 hours. You do have to continue to use it every day, but it WORKS.

I know because I use Flonase (marketed as Flixonase in the UK) myself. I've also prescribed it to tens of patients this Spring because we had a HORRID allergy season in New York City and it completely changed their quality of life. I also prescribed it to my landlady's husband, three friends, and my friend's boyfriend (It's one of the few things I'll prescribe to social acquaintances because it's OTC in the UK and I think it should be here, too).

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Tkanks Doc (and everyone else),
I will go and try one out from this weekend,
and i hope your allergy season is over by september (lol im sure it will be) because i wouldnt want it to spoil our visit to the city!!!

Hanz- I know what you mean about the tablets, their evil but you gotta get used to them!

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
I don't get hayfever but my boyfriend has it pretty bad. I've read somewhere that kissing helps kiss (works for us) and putting fresh basil leaves in your nose.

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Firetramp

... and putting fresh basil leaves in your nose.

ubblol mental image....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'll also share a secret about Claritin tablets.

When Claritin first went up for FDA review they found that in the dose they used (20mg) that it caused some mild drowsiness in 1-3% of patients. Well, as such they couldn't market it as "nonsedating" and instead had to market it as "minimally sedating."

So they chopped the dose in half to 10 mg and it now is truly non-drowsy...

And it doesn't work.

So if you took two tablets instead of one... (NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS WITH CLARITIN-D, BECAUSE THAT HAS A DECONGESTANT AND YOU WILL OVERDOSE ON THE DECONGESTANT!!!!)

-Mike

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Asena has really bad hayfever.
He had it *really* bad at PLAY...

Then when asking the person selling the hash fudge what was in it she said pollen.

"Ah, thats why I havn't been able to breath these past couple of days"

Hayfever sufferers - stay off of the hash fudge! ubblol

Dangerousmind66Member
90 posts

Posted:
I suffer from the same, and have found that a sinus rinse helps a whole lot. It takes a little bit to get used to pouring water up your nose, but it washes out all of the bad stuff that's up there. Give a google for sinus rinse, nasal douche, or neti pot. Those should give you results, and without drugs, though if you are as bad as I am, the allergies probably leave you wanting some...

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

because we had a HORRID allergy season in New York City

Horrid is sort of an understatement. Benadryl does work for me, thank god, but it does make me drowsy sometimes and if i don't take it for a few hours, then i get lots of lovely phlegm in my throat.... getting better now with the new weather, mostly, thank god smile

So I can sleep at night at least, even if I still cough occasionally from the lovely lovely post nasal drip. /sarcasm

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
im still suffering, it may be a cold, i've never sneezed so violently so many times before rolleyes

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Really, people. Nasal steroids are the way to go. I rarely see them fail (and when they do the next step is immunotherapy, which is a big, expensive procedure requiring weekly injections)

-Mike

1,286 posts

Posted:
for some reason, even though its raining heavily, my hayfever has got worse today. My left eye is so red that i'm now thinking of contacting hollywood to see about getting a part in the next terminator movie.

O.B.E.S.E.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
or the sequel to 28 Days Later....

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

1,286 posts

Posted:
good idea neon!

O.B.E.S.E.

Page: