Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Contact Poi Italian style (Throttle)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
All began when I started studying the basics of contact poi.

I don't consider poi on poi moves in this paper, we can refer to these moves as a different class of "contact poi" moves.

The most of these moves needs the poi to be in a straight position to simulate staff's or devilstick's moves.

That means that, while doing some moves like wibbles or propellors, we can use a part of devilstick's moves with our poi.

But here is my idea, the poi has a main core propriety that all of us know: its flexibility!!!

In the moves I referred to before, this is a limitation and an obstacle!

It can't be possible!!!I love poi in all their nature and I can't be limited by their main propriety!!!

Then I started to look for a move that uses this propriety and the nearest thing I found is the "tap throw":

-->Video

I worked a lot on it and when I arrived to have a little bit of control of one poi with it I asked myself what could be done to continue.

When I do the "tap" on my arm sometimes happens that the poi handle tries to wrap around the arm and everytime I cannot control it...then this is the next step!!! Control the handle wrap with my wrists!!!

-->Video

At this point of the story I had a long time without any other ideas to go on...how could be possible???

But an evening I made something wrong while training this move and I forgot to move back one arm, so happened this really nice thing: the poi after the first "handle wrap" around my left wrist rebounded back to the right wrist and it made ITSELF another "handle wrap"!!!

It was unbelievable and fantastic!!!

-->Video

After that, a little bit of tries and a lot of observations, I found that unwrapping rigth wrist and passing with a little arm movement the poi hand from the left wrist to the right one re-takes me in the first position of the poi... the same one I have done with the first "tap".

-->Video

In such way you can repeat this movement infinitly with a bit of practice.And I think it' s lovely to feel the poi grinding on your wrists nearly itself!!!

I called this move throttle for the continuous wrap around your wrists...:P

Sorry for my technical definition that can be wrong but don't mock me on it and watch at the aim of this thing that is to introduce new concepts in contact poi!!!

Then I find a bit of cool variations of this move like these:

-->Video

-->Video

-->Video

and a lot more can be found by you!

lolsign UPDATE!!! lolsign

-->Video Double Throttle(or Throttle with 2 poi...) after some months I can take a video with this trick...I think is cool and a lot of triks can be done for starting it (I usually use a wibble) or for going out (in the video with a hyperloop catch) and I hope in some months to attach it to double wibbles that I'm working on!

What do you think about it???

Acciaio devil

EDITED_BY: Acciaio (1157042892)

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I like it a lot.

The last video is very cool. And kind of cute with the dialoge.

Good stuff.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
I agree, I really like the last video.

I think it looks great. Can you do two at once? If so, you could mix it with regular poi moves.

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
There is a way to do something similar to the last vid but with the poi that grind always the same arm and, to do it you need only one free arm... this can be done with 2 poi ... but I cannot yet do it...and yes you can easily mix it with other moves because the starting point is one poi in each hand!! peace

But why you wont to use 2 poi when we can use only a little one???ubblocoubblocoubbloco

There are a lot of variations, with one poi is quite easy to find more and more but with two is really hard to find exact movements!

Thanx a lot!!! lolsign lolsign

Acciaio devil
EDITED_BY: Acciaio (1150784918)

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
oooooppppppsssss....I haven't seen I have created this post during the Play frown
Where the most part of contact poi spinner went and I couldn't mad2

I'm waiting for some opinions!!!

Thanx in advance!

Acciaio devil

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
ya know, if ya made some double ended fire poi about the size of his in the video, you could just call it a mini-meteor. and some of those moves in the vids would be pretty badass on fire. might have to have like an all kevlar mini-meteor though as I imagine you don't want hot metal running up and down your arms.

but yes, last vid is pretty cool and after watching it twice I could see where you could do it with 2 poi, but you'd have to hand off the poi of course and that'd be a bit complicated, but doable

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

Tir_na_nOgjourneyman
55 posts

Posted:
Hey man, Your on to a really nice lookin idea!! Stick in some devilstick moves like propellers and fishtails and stuff and it will be even more awesome (but as with everything difficult im sure it will take ages!!)

Best of luck with it!!!!
Rob

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Yep, from this movements you can really easily link classical one poi contact stuffs...now I'm able to go into helicopter(propellor in the wallplane ...don't ask me why but for me is more simple than normal propellor tongue) or wibbles!!!

It don't take ages, I think, I'm practiceing contact poi form a bit less than an year...

Thanx!

Acciaiodevil

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Cool stuff.. this reminds me a lot of some of the tricks in Freehand-style yo-yoing, which is itself incorporates a lot of meteor moves.

This video is kind of old, so it shows the original version of the propellor (with just a toss back in), but a lot of people switch hands back and forth now (and I've seen him do it with two yo-yos):
https://www.yoyoing.com/videos/play.php?vid=1666

I agree that having at least a bit more weight on the other end should make things much easier. It'd be very nice to see someone go from weave to double propellors tossing them in the air so they switch and go back into it.. then slide the hands down to the handles to go back into weave. It should be totally possible..

Shawn

shen shuiSILVER Member
no excuses. no apologies.
1,799 posts

Posted:
cool yoyo stuff. seems to me as if the yoyo is not spinning?

is this "allowed"?

-gasp-

those that know, dont say. those that say, dont know.

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Well, the yo-yo was definitely spinning the whole time.. Look closely at how stable the yo-yo seems to be (staying on the same plane, not vibrating, etc). That may make it look like it isn't spinning, but it is the opposite. Without spin, it'd be rotating and flopping all over the place.

Like if the yo-yo wasn't spinning after the Thread the Needle, he wouldn't have been able to land the yo-yo on the string (or it would have fell right off or at least wobbled around a lot).

Even the thing where it rotates and he jumps over the string, it was spinning. If you pull the strings a certain way, you can get it to flip over (called Gyroscopic Flop). He wouldn't have been able to pull it to his hand after the jump if it had died out.

Cheers,
Shawn

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I want those orange striped socks!!!!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Really cool yoyo stuffs!!!
I haven't seen something like these but can inspirate me a lot!! Thanx ShawnF!!!

My poi are from passepasse.com...

Acciaio devil

DaRollaBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
hello everybody,

on passepasse.com I cannot find the sock poi. well.

Acciaio, thanks a lot for inspiration. Can u maybe tell me how u build these socks? Generally I think u use rice for the weight, but what exactly did u put into the grip? and are both weights the same?

greetings,
darolla

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
O okkey I have just said that today in another topic I think ...
But mine are really normal woman socks :P with a beanbag standard in the head(135 gr) and a sphere of a fluffy plastic material(40 gr) that is commercialized in Italy with the name of "Dido" or "Pongo" the handle stopped by a normal knot this material is a plastic toy for children, in fact you can model cut and remodel it a lot of times and it remain always fluffy...sorry but I cannot translate this thing in a common or better english :P
( link at this https://www.passepasse.com/super-swinging...72216c29bacf70b
)

Nice to inspire you!!! Waiting for other ideas on the same kind of tricks!!!

Acciaio devil

DaRollaBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Hey thanks for your answer. Do u mean something like this?

Non-Https Image Link

Greetings,

DaRolla
EDITED_BY: DaRolla (1154618057)

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
clap Yep!!! Exacly something like that!!! clap
Well done!

Acciaio devil

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
*BUMP*
Just Updated with a double throttle...it takes me a lot of months of hard work I hope you all like it!
Enjoy!!And find other patterns on this way!!!

Acciaio devil

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Some ideas with tapwraps I worked on yesterday.. poi fishtails smile

Video will follow tomorow. Or today if no managers are here @ work and I get my camera smile

You do a tapwrap.. Say, first hand to wrap is L, then R and as the L unwraps you do a fishtail like motion with R hand and turning 180, thus you end up on the other side and the unwrapping tapwrap is at its start, wrapping again first against R then L hand.. where you can do the fishtail again smile

Next...

When you do the TW.. You dont do it in the front plane but buzzsaw plane instead.. Meaning that you have to catch the 2nd part of the wrap turned 90deg onto your other hand which goes in the opposite direction. The wrap will be on the inside of your wrist, not on the outside as with classical TWs. I have NO idea what to with this.. Except that you can translate into...

Tapwraps with your hands crossed.. Where the wrap is not on the outside of your wrist but on the inside.

AND.. here Im thinking too far.. you can do similar fishtails as above.. only the poi position is a bit different.. point is, when you do continuous fishtails from side to side in crossed TWs, the hand motion looks too much like the one you do while doing a weave. as I was too tired when I noticed this I didnt look at it too much.. but it looks kinda promising:)

Also I found a few nice but darn hard patterns with TWs similar to double throttle..
Front plane split time same direction spin, poi spin to the right. Throw R poi under L arm a bit to right. When in the air take L poi with R hand. Catch the R poi into a TW, exit TW and catch poi with L hand. Repeat smile

Or.. Both poi stalled. Throw R poi to the outside (poi spins left). Catch w. R hand into TW to left hand (which is still holding a stalled poi). When you unwrap from the L hand on the upswing swing also L poi to right. First beat exit from TW, 2nd beat L hand throws L poi to the outside and the whole pattern repeats on the other side smile
The thing to watch here is the first outside throw. It wraps around the same arm and there the poi changes direction.

Ok, your turn now..

PS: I oficially proclaim Acciaio and Laura guilty of addicting me to contact poi smile

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Videos:

Fishtails/traps

Tapthrow combo

Enjoy smile

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
You are the really first person(except me obviously) that I see doing a throttle!!!
smile:):):):)

I'm soooooooooo happy for this!!! biggrin:D:D:D
And really honoured to inspire someone in contact poi!!!
Congratulations Raven!!!

Acciaio devil

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Those things are damn fun smile Only doing them with two poi is haaaaaard.. Maybe a new kind of jedi stuff..? smile

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I don't know if can be considered a Jedi stuff, 'cause I haven't really understand what can be considered "Jedi" and what cannot... confused hehe confused

It takes me a lot of months of hard work on it and isn't too solid now (an avarage of 20 double catches...record 69...)...
And overall double throttle takes me weeks only for understanding how it can work juggle ubbloco juggle

Acciaio devil

EIJDNBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Those videos are wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

I also want those orange striped socks!! woohoo
biggrin wavehello

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
It is a wibble. There were a lot of words

written about it.

If not, what makes t different?

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
The handle of the poi turn around the wrist and go on to wrap the other wrist; in wibble the handle change the direction of rotation every time you touch it.
I think this is the main diffrence in wibble the poi change its direction in throttle it doesn't...
I know wibble and I think it isn't...

Have you got any advice for calling it wibble? I really can be wrong...(have you watched all the videos?)

Thanx in advance Richee!!!

Acciaio devil

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I know. It is not the right way giving a name to

something that is variation of what was done

before.

Be careful with naming, it can be confusing.

Written by:

Acciaio

The handle of the poi turn around the wrist

and go on to wrap the other wrist

This meen it is [wibble -> wrap] transfer.

Iteresting, but not something , be called

more than wibble wrap.

check this out,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

THE WIBBLE - source: www.spherculism.com, written by Matt Terry.
Written by: tapback: Reversing the direction of the poi in mid air, i.e. during a toss or release, by tapping the head or handle end for a brief moment.

-->Found in "contact poi" thread...
I know that I cannot name a move if it's only a variation but this is not a variation of wibble...
The main principle that define wibble is to changing the poi direction and in throttle you don't change any direction nor in midair...
We will ask to matt for a response XD

Acciaio devil

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
the double poi stuff its definitely a wibble variation:
as i understand it, wibbles don't always change direction. matt will correct me if i'm wrong. so thats a wibble with an extra spin.
still most cool.
however when you're playing with one poi there's not much to be wibbling with there ubblol throttle is as good a name as any biggrin

i'll have a play later, when i'm not at work. as soon as i've got rid of my 8 boxes of old sh1t to be recycled i'll even have space to p[lay in here bounce

mi ha fatto ridere quando tua madre ti chiamava al fine del ultimo ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

as i understand it, wibbles don't always change direction.

Eheemmmm we write in the same time...XD
read the definition before if it's wrong we migth change it!!! wink

Acciaio devil

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
mmm. i get the feeling that thats an old definition, and what that means is a tapback. but a wibble is now a family of moves, and so moves one level up in terms of naming, as it were.

so family: wibbles

moves: tapback, throttle, dibble, etccetc/

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Page: