Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Contact Poi Italian style (Throttle)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
All began when I started studying the basics of contact poi.

I don't consider poi on poi moves in this paper, we can refer to these moves as a different class of "contact poi" moves.

The most of these moves needs the poi to be in a straight position to simulate staff's or devilstick's moves.

That means that, while doing some moves like wibbles or propellors, we can use a part of devilstick's moves with our poi.

But here is my idea, the poi has a main core propriety that all of us know: its flexibility!!!

In the moves I referred to before, this is a limitation and an obstacle!

It can't be possible!!!I love poi in all their nature and I can't be limited by their main propriety!!!

Then I started to look for a move that uses this propriety and the nearest thing I found is the "tap throw":

-->Video

I worked a lot on it and when I arrived to have a little bit of control of one poi with it I asked myself what could be done to continue.

When I do the "tap" on my arm sometimes happens that the poi handle tries to wrap around the arm and everytime I cannot control it...then this is the next step!!! Control the handle wrap with my wrists!!!

-->Video

At this point of the story I had a long time without any other ideas to go on...how could be possible???

But an evening I made something wrong while training this move and I forgot to move back one arm, so happened this really nice thing: the poi after the first "handle wrap" around my left wrist rebounded back to the right wrist and it made ITSELF another "handle wrap"!!!

It was unbelievable and fantastic!!!

-->Video

After that, a little bit of tries and a lot of observations, I found that unwrapping rigth wrist and passing with a little arm movement the poi hand from the left wrist to the right one re-takes me in the first position of the poi... the same one I have done with the first "tap".

-->Video

In such way you can repeat this movement infinitly with a bit of practice.And I think it' s lovely to feel the poi grinding on your wrists nearly itself!!!

I called this move throttle for the continuous wrap around your wrists...:P

Sorry for my technical definition that can be wrong but don't mock me on it and watch at the aim of this thing that is to introduce new concepts in contact poi!!!

Then I find a bit of cool variations of this move like these:

-->Video

-->Video

-->Video

and a lot more can be found by you!

lolsign UPDATE!!! lolsign

-->Video Double Throttle(or Throttle with 2 poi...) after some months I can take a video with this trick...I think is cool and a lot of triks can be done for starting it (I usually use a wibble) or for going out (in the video with a hyperloop catch) and I hope in some months to attach it to double wibbles that I'm working on!

What do you think about it???

Acciaio devil

EDITED_BY: Acciaio (1157042892)

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
I'm confused confused confused confused

If is like that every contact move can be considered a wibble...also a propellor can be considered a wibble...

If "wibble" is a family of move it's a family of moves that....(something common between each other...)
I cannot finish the last sentence could you?

Thanx!!! biggrin

Acciaio devil

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no; i don't think so. but you're doing something different in your one poi videos to what your doing in the two poi video.

wibble is a family of moves that encompasses catching a poi NOT at the head, and either returning it (like a tapback) or continuing its motion, but allowing the end to tapback (like you are doing)

so in my opinion, about half the things you are doing are wibbles, and half belong to some other family i don't know enough about cause i don't do much contact poi...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Okkey...
then "ibble" is not a wibble? because you tap back the poi head?
I'm not really sure about this definition but I have never met mat ...then all I know is form HoP and spherculism....I can be wrong with my definitions but this one don't sounds so good :S

About the teo poi throttle that you sad it's a diffrent move I think that if you can observe with accuracy only one of the two poi you can see tha is exactly the one poi move with a little throw in the middle(without poi turns)...

How can we solve the question??? confused
Anyhow your point of view is really intresting bluecat!!!Thanx!!!

Acciaio devil

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hmm. on reflection i don't like my definition either ubblol

but i still see your throttle as a wibble extension....

an 'ibble' i'd call a tapback. and a wibble is a tapback using the string, not the head. i think 'ibble is misleading.

on a second viewing, the thing you are doing in the video doesn't really use any of the stuff you are working on with single poi, and its mostly an infinite weave... a couple of times you catch off the head, but i'm not quite sure how it relates... er...

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
We need an accurate definition of wibble from matt...
It's the only way to solve the question...
XD
But I really think that what I do with one poi is mostly the same thing I do with two!
wink wink wink

Acciaio devil

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Lets put it together:

Contact

Code:

Roll - Poi body roll, in common.

Propellor/er - Double roll.

Suicide - Roll with loop over.

Freeing -> Catch

Code:

Release - Controlled throw.

Toss - Uncontroled throw.

Tapback - Poi head tap.

Contact+

Code:

Wibble - Poi body tap.

Dibble - Double wibble.

Trottle is what?

I'm still saying you wrap, but in contact,

cause youre hands free. Something like a

airwrap(?).

previous bolding removed,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Throttle:

Continuous roll through wraps

What do you think about this definition?

hugs
Acciaio devil

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Propeller

fin nexus,

POI THEO(R)IST

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
You have write:

Double roll --> propellor

That's diffrent from

Continuous roll throgh wraps --> Throttle

As a suicide is a roll instead but with a loop over as you written; throttle is a roll through wraps....I really think is a diffrent thing...don't you agree? why?

Acciaio devil

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
The point is to show which family

is significan to this move to pl-

ace it in corect family.

Contact families suites well.

Because it recoils body,

it is 'wibble' variation,

This move does it twice so:

Written by:

Throttle double wibble, Dibble(double wibble).

[Wibble - Contact tapback(Poi head tap), Poi body tap.]

Thru(throught)wrap require handle catch,

this move is hand free.

Wrap require head recoil,

this move body recoils.

----

Help table at the bottom was repaired.

(Flying nexus is misleading.)

no comment,

POI THEO(R)IST

Leah92newbie
4 posts

Posted:
very cool videos! i like it biggrin

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
I wonder what moves we'd all have.... and where we'd all be.... and what we'd be calling them all if there were no internet. acciaio seems to have come up with something new to himself that isn't new to the world of poi... but then again, look at our tiny little world.... poi is thousands of years old. and I bet you that durbs wasn't the first to ever attempt "contact poi." we shouldn't be arguing over the name of a trick and or whether it's never been done before. I say you call it whatever you want to. the world of poi is far to big for only one language.
congratulations acciaio on figuring this out. it's cool as hell. I've been doing these hand wraps for a couple months now where you toss the poi so it does just half a flip then you hit the poi head so it spins in the same direction but wraps around the hand and back out to the handle. I had no idea it was a form of a wibble. but I'm not sure that it really matters considering that nobody knew that it was wibblesque.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hello all,

Acciao asked me to come here and offer my 2 cents, after not reading much of the thread or seeing the videos i wrote this thread on sphism, hope it helps...

OH yeah don't forget it's .net now

www.spherculism.net :: Wibbling thread

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
oooh i did it once
i'm just going to bask in that and never try again so i can say that i can do it and no one can say i can't
bouncethe girl who can't do the easy stuffbounce

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Really thanx to all(Leah, jaero)!!! biggrin biggrin biggrin
I hope to inspirate someone in developing contact with this!!!

Thanx also to matt that describes so well wibble in his thread!!!

Acciaio devil

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
SO i think that a 'flying nexus' is a '1 handed tangle' right?

Where you tangle your poi, release 1 handle, tangle back and forth so the released poi doesn't leave the tangle, then try to grab it again.

I think some people also call these 'tangle/hyperloop/airwrap suicide' (from the diabolo 'suicide' move)

I really like the name flying nexus.

Anyway Acciaio, is the move you call 'Throttle' the same as what i call 'Propeller'?

Cos they sound the same, but i'm thinking that you may be taking that propellor and moving it across your body (eg Wheel plane, move left and right sides, poi remains in contact with wrist)

If so then this would generally be called a 'Fishtail' (from the contact staff move)

m

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ahaa! a man with sense (i.e. not me ubblol ) who can actually say what i was meaning.

thanks matt....

AcciaioSILVER Member
Tangled into my spins
187 posts

Posted:
Uhmmm...
I thinked a lot of what you have said efore posting this thread matt...
And finaly I realized that throttle is instead a combination of contact moves, each part can be classified with another trick...
I tink someing like this:

Throttle = (fishtail[R] + handle wrap(head suicide?)[L] + fishtail[R] + propellor[L])

[R] and [L] is the hand(or better wrist) that do the move

This can be repeated as times as you wont.

Combineated moves can be called with new names and I think that throttle cannot be classified into only one category...
Try to do it and I think you can accept what I'm saying... or bettere I'll hope it!! wink waiting for answere!!

---

About flying nexus...can be catched also with a whip catch ( biggrin ) and can be controlled by the other poi...I think someone can call it 1 handed hyperloop...why not? but I really prefer "Flying nexus" can I mark this name as "approved"? XD XD XD

Thanx for the comments! We can put this terms in the poidia as soon they are approved!

Acciaio devil

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
lol. except 'airwrap suicide' has been in use for about 2 years.... i think my biggest issue with it is that i never liked the name 'nexus', which shows up in wiki as 'latin for connection'. appropriate, yes, but informative, no; we had this debate about 3 years ago with dan and arashi about airwraps and it seemed to be generally decided that airwrap was really informative and an obvious choice...

argh. i might just leave you to it actually. feel free to name it biggrin

sorry for the tiny rant frown redface

Red_RaveNGOLD Member
Neo - Hippie
358 posts

Posted:
Something I accidentaly got to..

I do all contact with a poi length meteor so this might work a bit differently with unevenly weighted poi..

It's a kind of a full butterfly wristwrap - you throw a poi and while in the air spinning, you hit the middle with your wrist, the direction of the hand motion kinda perpendicular to the poi. It should then wrap around your wrist butterfly style. Unwrap at will..

Smile.. It confuses people..:)

Wonders never cease as long as you never cease to wonder.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Cool Throttle fishtails, sounds awesome, will have a play.

I've never heard a tangle/hyperloop/airwrap move be called a Nexus before.

The Nexus is the part of the tangle/hyperloop/airwrap that is joined together.

The bit that seems to stay still whilst everything else is moving around doing crazy things.

I like the word nexus for that specific use, but not for a general term for tangles.

Anyhoo, it doesn't matter, just so long as i know that when you say Nexus you mean tangle and when i say Nexus i mean the bit in the middle of the tangle.

MMmmm

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

cool

Page: