SorayaBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Can anyone explain to me what a buzzsaw is? I've read many threads but I still don't get it... confused

Thanks!
Soraya

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Thats a horizontal buzzaw, but generally buzzaw is played vertical. Find tutorials for horizontal buzzaw on Motsplace , for the vertical buzzaw see Sams Tutorials Quicklink 2223.

SorayaBRONZE Member
2 posts

Posted:
Thanks! smile

Hatstandnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I have a quick question, which is probably a stupid one, about the isolated buzzsaw. Do you touch the cord of the opposite poi? Because when I've seen it done it looks like you do, but I can't see how this could be.

Cheers.

We'll never make it to the safety of rock... maybe that small rock.

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
No Hatstand. Isolations are hard to explain without demonstrating, but I'll give it a go. The idea is to move the centre of rotation to a point along the cord rather than at your hand. The more you isolate, the further you move the centre of rotation towards the ball/wick end of the poi. In order to achieve this your hand has to move around the centre of rotation as well. So, if you are going to isolate a buzzsaw so that the centre of rotation is halfway down the cord (this is standard amount of isolation that you'll see around) your hand has to make a circle the same size as that made by the poi head. Imagine that the poi is fixed across the side of a wheel, with your hand at one point and the poi head on the opposite side. If you were to turn the wheel, you'd be making the same hand-movement as in an isolation. When you do this with two poi in buzzsaw, your right hand turns in line with the left poi head and vice versa. It feels like you're pushing the pedals round on a bike with your hands. Probably a useless explanation. Have a search for better explanations orbetter yet, get someone to show you in person, it'll be miles easier!

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
This is an isolation, glad i found this though because i was trying really hard to get the poi into the center of my spin.

https://www.motsplace.com/poi/Isolation.html

Hatstandnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Thanks so much Mr. Shill (that makes perfect sense btw!) and Mr or Ms... er... Legend. I think I'm getting it with me sokpoi, but when I try it with my normals poi it feels like it's spinning too quick to get the weight off, and I can't slow it down without losing the tension in the cord (and whacking myself in the mouth in the process). I was kind of thinking you might have to stick a finger out to rotate the opposite cord around if you see what I mean. But then that won't work... I should have paid more attnetion in physics at school...

We'll never make it to the safety of rock... maybe that small rock.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Its definately easier to do isolations with socks. But with practice to is possible to do them with almost any type of poi. Just keep practicing with your socks, and then eventually one day you'll pick up your cord or chain poi and find you can now isolate them as well.

Or at least that's what happened to me, but everyone learns in different ways. I tend to let moves learn themselves nowadays, rather than trying to force it.

Good Luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
Glad you understand Hatstand. Figuring out what's actually going on with an isolation is half the battle. Ooh, and if you're trying it with chains and cords, the heavier the poi the easier it'll be because your hands don't have to move as quickly so you get more control. It's also true with socks but it doesn't make as much difference since the socks are bouncier and therefore more forgiving. I can still hardly isolate my chains, but they're stupidly light.

Have fun smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?