Forums > Videos > First Video, DIY LED POI

Login/Join to Participate

AndersWBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
https://www.anderswiden.com/filer/poi/first_spin.avi

I just started with Poi around two weeks ago and this is me training with a pair of homemade led poi. Most moves are really basic, but I think it turned out pretty good. There's a lot room for improvment but I really wanted to ask if my "overhead butterfly" is low enough, cause I'm having real trouble getting my hands lower than that.

Anders, Sweden.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Interesting poi... are they flashing at all or different colours? ...or is that just the video?

As for the spinning, looking very good for two weeks! It took me a lot longer to get to where you are now smile I'd suggest working on slowing it down a little to make it smoother. You speed up noticeably as you throw them over your head - try slowing that down. Another thing to work on is your transitions from move to move. When you get more confident moving between moves, you'll find you do it more ...which leads to a more interesting and therefore more enjoyable performance (from a spectator point of view).

My 2p smile

Cake or Death?

Tom_ShillSILVER Member
enthusiast
213 posts

Posted:
ditto

Also, in videos it's nice to be able to see the spinner as well as the poi, otherwise it's hard to tell what's actualy going on. Looking good though, keep it up smile

Will those capable of telekinesis please raise my hand?

AndersWBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies.

The Poi are made with a 9V Battery incased in a small PVC-pipe with a pot (for ampere/brightness control), 2 RED and 1 BLUE led. The flashing comes from the leds shining directly into the camera. Nothing fancy.

I agree it looks to fast, I don't know why it's so fast maybe I was nervous smile

As for the to dark part, It's just a digital camera (with video) and I tried to raise the brightness in "editing" but that made all the black parts greyish. The video was made without me knowing about it so I really didn't have much control smile

Right know I'm trying to get the chase to windmill to chase transistion. I don't know where to begin. I'm left handed so it's easier to do chase turns to the left, could someone point me in the right direction? Forwards or Reverse chase and turn to which direction?

Cheers!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: AndersW

Right know I'm trying to get the chase to windmill to chase transistion. I don't know where to begin. I'm left handed so it's easier to do chase turns to the left, could someone point me in the right direction? Forwards or Reverse chase and turn to which direction?

Cheers!

im not too good on my terminology but to get the windmill right just start off spinning one poi in front of you then behind, then one beat in front and one behind, then do it with the other hand, then up high. u have windmill then smile