Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
all valid points monkey - i say ask thomas, or gordon (but hes grumpy ) wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
oh, and pistons should be different from r-types.

one end of a piston is locked into a single axis of movement, while the other end describes a circle.

which means that not only are they different, but a piston cannot be r-typed and a r-type can't be pistoned.

smile

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ah okay. I always thought those shields were rotating, to face outwards and protect your ship.

A chuu chuu is a one beat / r-type 'hybrid' where one end of the r-type stays in touch with one end of the one beat. I would say for this the r-type should be horizontal, hence making it look like a steam locomotives driving system.

The piston is the vertical version.

You'll notice however, that I call what should really be a piston snake, a chuu chuu snake. Not least cos this name is cuter, but also cos thats the way it was introduced to me. Well at least involving the word chuu chuu. Possibly with o's.

Indeed in the video you'll notice I almost exclusively do piston snakes and only one real chuu chuu snake. But getting to say chuu a lot is tooo addictive.

Plus greg suggested that there might be a long lost chuu chuu python, that snakes up diagonally and goes over your shoulder. Maintaining the snakyness over the should is quite tricky thou.

@pistons: Yeah clearly this is the case but otherwise I couldn't think of a readily available visual analogy.

Perhaps later we can have 'real' pistons like we have the full steve.

Considering also, locomotives have one end of their drive bar constrained, so chuu chuu is also a deceptive name. Thou I don't know about subsequent wheel linking bars on the engine... the first one however...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

3,149 posts

Posted:
ah, i get the chuu chuu definition now. i thought that was what you meant by piston.

well, if r-type = horizontal

then surely vertical = ikaruga?

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
space invaders?

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

3,149 posts

Posted:
thought about it, but space invaders is static, not scrolling.

Plus, four syllables? way too long.

how about Galaxians? like space invaders, but introduced a scrolling starfield background (and divebombing invaders, but thats irrelevant in this sense).

"Whats that?"

"atomic triplespin galaxian hybrid"

"can you antispin it?"

"censored off"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
"What about BTB?"

I dreamt about anti-spin continuous translations. But I think it might require finger spins...

Why is dreamed in the firefox dictionary but dreamt isn't? Is dreamed even grammatical?

How about galaxian pistons? It sorta sounds like something out of a steampunk novel. We need a move called the steampunk. That would rock.

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
Great Vid mcp....... now I need to run along and show it to coleman and watch him smile like he does eith all your vids.

ubbrollsmile

barmy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Shaweet biggrin

I've been playing with similar stuff (I think I showed them to you very breifly at BJC), only with the non-flat stick isolating around the centre point of the staff, not the other end.
So it's kind of like the parallel bar between the two train wheels...erm..."linkage"
I wish my camera was working

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

meastnewbie
38 posts

Posted:
whaooo...really really nice.. biggrinit s my favourite vid too..

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Ah, durbs, i thought you were doing hand isolations? So both of the staffs spinning but with one doing an isolation on the center of the other staff, and you were stopping one to do transitions?

I have a cool move from hand isolations that greg christened: itsy bitsy spider, after a childhood game. (Not my childhood game.)

also: a plain one beat with the other staff doing a hand isolation makes (if clean) a target. A point in the center, from the isolation, a circle from the one beat and then a larger circle from the other end of the isolated staff. If clean = coooooool.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, hand isos around the centre of a flat - then switching to end iso (when both are horizontal) and hand iso-ing and pistoning the flat.
Maybe...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
were you? I thought you were just doing hand iso's when anti-spinning the other staff? Occasionally using inner planes and switching which staff did the hand iso?

Where you actually doing something different?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
na mate - he was probably doing something gay smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Different and gay.
I highly doubt inner planes though as I don't do them...
Meh, show you Thursday?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
you had my little sticks at the time. I believe you said you could do it with inner planes but didn't proceed to show it. whatever 'it' happens to be.

What time you arriving on thursday? I've got some limpets from ireland, I think we need a park somewhere...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Er, I'm arriving 20:30 on Wednesday - so could maybe even show you a whole day earlier you lucky thing you.

Limpets eh? Good crab bait

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
well the limpets arrive about 11:30... so meet in a park about 2 somewhere?

where is everybody meeting for shivan?

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Or, Durbin, you could come meet us at the airport smile

Since you speak francais and suchlike... biggrin

See you soon m'lovelies
xx

Getting to the other side smile

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
What is "the Pencil"?

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Richee

What is "the Pencil"?

so true. so true.

frown

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://www.journalofvision.org/6/6/634/

Sexy!

Pencil Illusion for a hoop: https://journalofvision.org/7/6/9/images/JOV-00302-2006.R1-Auxiliary_Movie_1.html

biggrin

Persistance of Vision is a Myth: https://www.grand-illusions.com/percept.htm
https://www.uca.edu/org/ccsmi/ccsmi/classicwork/Myth1.htm
https://www.uca.edu/org/ccsmi/ccsmi/classicwork/Myth%20Revisited.htm

Full article on the rubbery-ness of a pencil: https://www.journalofvision.org/7/6/9/article.aspx

biggrin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

I love this machine too much.

Non-Https Image Link

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
massively geeky video mcp. smile

snake...hrm...I can see how it describes the move but It also means something very different (as you know). I think there should be a better name than that, because potentially traditional snake variations are possible with all the moves in that video (I guess) smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

3,149 posts

Posted:
meg - eek hug thank you sooo much. personally i've been investigating phi phenomena and gestalt theory, which is explaining lots of where the "wierd" comes from in what i have suddenly decided to call "new spinning".

Josh - there are two traditional manipulation meanings of "snake" though. Club spinning and Contact Juggling. This is the contact juggling meaning. i think as far as stick goes they're in distinct enough contexts not to be confusing though. if we did need another term for these CJ type snakes, i would prefer "The Worm". But then what if someone starts doing the breakdance "The Worm" with double staffs?!? oh what a tangled web we isolated weave...

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

But then what if someone starts doing the breakdance "The Worm" with double staffs?!?

I, for one, would need a new pair of pants.

Could there be a better staff move?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it's clear I think from the fact that "The Pencil!" is speed dependent, that it's an optical illusion based on some daft stuff the eyes are doing. Unfortunately, I find it very hard on my wrist to force the change of direction of the staff that quickly. Perhaps if I tried to do it like the machine in the picture above, with two hands, it wouldn't hurt so much.

Does seem like a short route to RSI if you try doing it with heavy sticks.

What are Phi Phenonomenomenon? Utilising optical illusions in manipulation is soooo next year! (Unless isolation counts as an optical illusion.)

3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Yeah, it's clear I think from the fact that "The Pencil!" is speed dependent, that it's an optical illusion based on some daft stuff the eyes are doing.

no. Not the eyes. That would be the persistence of vision argument, which i think we'd both disagree with now. All this stuff is actually to do with the way the brain interprets motion and recognises discrete objects from visual data.
Phi phenomenenena is basically - if two things move the same way, or one disappears when another reappears, we'll recognise it as a single object.

so if you have two light bulbs, and one turns off when the other turns on, then it'll look like the glow is 'jumping' from one bulb to the other.

Written by: mcp

Utilising optical illusions in manipulation is soooo next year! (Unless isolation counts as an optical illusion.)

well, i think we already are using them, but there's obversely loads of untapped potential. Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes give this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon. That's possibly the best sentence i've ever written. i'm making that my signature now.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah that's what I mean, it's either to do with the brain processing [censored], or the eyes jumping around on the image. Or in fact whatever the paper says it's about. Where's my friggin' athens account? I say the eyes whenever I mean something that means what I'm thinking it means. And that's a fact.

Phi Phenonononomenononomenon: so you're saying it's basically the standard d-lite illusion? (sorry, d-gay-lite). At least your example is.

In terms of chuu chuu's thou, the phi pheneononononononononmenonmenonemnonon occurs when the switch happens then I take it? This is why most hybrid's that switch look crazzzzy?

Cool.

I realised that this illusion: https://journalofvision.org/7/6/9/images/JOV-00302-2006.R1-Auxiliary_Movie_1.html

is not a wobbling hoop like I originally thought, but just a turning ellipse. And the fact that you can't distinguish any point on the ellipse from any other makes the illusion happen. In fact it could be either, a wobbling hoop or a turning ellipse.

Using props where you can't distinguish rotation makes isolation much more visual, and apparently helps other illusions also.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Clearly doable: https://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_freezeRot/index.html

fun: https://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_kaleidoscope/index.html

reverse phi? Eh? : https://www.michaelbach.de/ot/mot_reverse-phi/index.html

Page: ...