• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Videos > L.A.B. Reports - THE LAB v2.0

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 1...1112131415
mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Total posts: 5276
Posted: Definitive List:::: http://lab.firestaff.net

L.A.B. Reports.

A scientific exploration of the possible patterns created by the gestural and physical manipulation and activation of dual stiff linear props, with emphasis (added) in this report as to the connectional patterns.

Experiment 01 - HQ 100mb

Experiment 01 - MQ 50mb

Addendum 1a

A brief exploration of the clash between desired movement and it's actualisation and bridging the gap through the use of non-reflective mental states.

Addendum-Sequence 1-MPEG-4 800Kbps.mp4 ~20mb

L.A.B. 02 - Complete and Utter...

The reinstatment of post-modern irony into a normal everyday actualisation of curiosity in the realm of exploratory objectorial manipulative beliefs.

lab 02 - 90mb.

lab 02 - medium - 45mb.

L.A.B. 03 - IN LEEDS

Me n'Strugz went to leeds and met Chronos, and had a whale of a good hardcore contact time.

One of the most enjoyable videos I've made. Hope you enjoy! I did...

LAB 03: IN LEEDS (large) ~100mb

LAB 03: IN LEEDS (small) ~25mb

L.A.B. APPENDIX 3A - MC-PO-SEPH

me and mostly dave spinning in our lunchtimes. Dave has a unique style amougst unque styles, which he doesn't show much in this video, instead just concentrates on new and hardcore doubles.

MC-PO-SEPH - 43mb

L.A.B. 04 - UBER UNWRAPPED

Uber Europe! This is a video of a super diverse range of staff, from hard hard throws, dual fishtails, doubles contact, fei-cha and uber single staff contact and spinning. As well as a little bit of sillyness and negative space. I'll write a little more later... when i have screenshots... biggrin

L.A.B. 04 - UBER UNWRAPPED (large) ~100mb

L.A.B. 04 - UBER UNWRAPPED (small) ~40mb

L.A.B. 05 - Church of Staff

Leeds too! me, chronos, t&b and sandy, in leeds, lots and lots of contact and some doubles.

L.A.B. 05 - Teaser (small) ~16mb

L.A.B. 05 - Church of Staff (large) ~220mb

L.A.B. 05.1 .2 .v and . [Meg Minus Hair]

All Doubles.

Section 1: Anti-spin

Section 2: Spin

Section 3: Contact

Section 4: Freestyle

LAB 05.1 126mb

LAB 05.1 small - 36mb

LAB 06. WoW

Me n'Simian. Happily Mostly Simian doing stuff that I still don't quite understand after having watched it like ten times during editing. g'damn.

Enjoy:

LAB 06 - Wow ~40mb.

THE LAB

this is what I call geeky. A staff video without any people or actual footage whatsoever. Just animated staffs. One size fits all.

THE LAB ~47mb

google:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=1183563926305758390

L.A.B. 06.%

Poi in the Park, 2006 Birthday party. What it was like for me.

Lots of poi in this one. Like what?

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-6205197087321942253

download link to follow. (thou google lets you download.)

Recently I've been mostly watching anime....

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-4061169031942253106

dl: http://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/lab/cowboyfishbop.wmv

L.A.B. 00 - ROUTINE

It's retarded meg occassionally in the first one, and mostly stagefright-meg in the second.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2122116747381067643

dl: http://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/lab/lab00.wmv

L.A.B. 07 - Meg talks to herself.

doubles, singles and some other props....

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=-3196487358216134432

dl: http://videos.tepookatoys.com/media/lab/lab07.wmv

LAB 08, part 1, Aidan @ Winter with MCP

dl: aidan / ado-p

gootube: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uwub_Mxzu7g

yup, a whole video dedicated to the irish iron fist!

I thought afterwards that maybe the song is a little cheeky, but the boy is a good dancer, and I wouldn't make an entire video of him, if I didn't like his style.

EDITED_BY: mcp (1190113585)

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete Topic

Olive
Olive

enthusiast
Total posts: 286
Posted:awesome

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:Yeah Noel and Lester came up with the ChuuChuu Snake In LA at the Fire Groove HQ. (I did mention that in ma video) Or maybe lester alone. It's the critical peice that makes 1.5's / chuu chuu's really interesting. Plus the whole of fire groove are really cool 'rockstar' sort of spinners. They're the bomb. biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Delete

simian
simian

110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
Total posts: 3149
Posted: Written by: olive

awesome

ditto
easily my favourite video you've done.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

Yakumo
Yakumo

veteran
Total posts: 1237
Posted:coo @ vid, & is that giant hoop in the background a metal one you can spin in? if so, where'd you manage to get that?

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

simian
simian

Posted:i really like the definition bit at the end of it.

but i didn't coin the term "R-Types", that was mr bovrilmonkey

and it's not related to horizontal scrolling - but to the weapon/shield pods you get that rotate around your ship just like.. well a staff doing an r-type. smile

Chuu Chuus are an awesome name but i'm not clear on exactly what the definition includes\excludes. A piston crossing the plane of the body? Can you do a single chuu chuu? or even just a chuu?and should there really be an apostrophe in it? "Chuu Chuu's" is possessive, and begs the question "what is it that is belonging to the Chuu Chuu?".

confused2

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted:all valid points monkey - i say ask thomas, or gordon (but hes grumpy ) wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

simian
simian

Posted:oh, and pistons should be different from r-types.

one end of a piston is locked into a single axis of movement, while the other end describes a circle.

which means that not only are they different, but a piston cannot be r-typed and a r-type can't be pistoned.

smile

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:ah okay. I always thought those shields were rotating, to face outwards and protect your ship.

A chuu chuu is a one beat / r-type 'hybrid' where one end of the r-type stays in touch with one end of the one beat. I would say for this the r-type should be horizontal, hence making it look like a steam locomotives driving system.

The piston is the vertical version.

You'll notice however, that I call what should really be a piston snake, a chuu chuu snake. Not least cos this name is cuter, but also cos thats the way it was introduced to me. Well at least involving the word chuu chuu. Possibly with o's.

Indeed in the video you'll notice I almost exclusively do piston snakes and only one real chuu chuu snake. But getting to say chuu a lot is tooo addictive.

Plus greg suggested that there might be a long lost chuu chuu python, that snakes up diagonally and goes over your shoulder. Maintaining the snakyness over the should is quite tricky thou.

@pistons: Yeah clearly this is the case but otherwise I couldn't think of a readily available visual analogy.

Perhaps later we can have 'real' pistons like we have the full steve.

Considering also, locomotives have one end of their drive bar constrained, so chuu chuu is also a deceptive name. Thou I don't know about subsequent wheel linking bars on the engine... the first one however...

Delete

simian
simian

Posted:ah, i get the chuu chuu definition now. i thought that was what you meant by piston.

well, if r-type = horizontal

then surely vertical = ikaruga?

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:space invaders?

Delete

simian
simian

Posted:thought about it, but space invaders is static, not scrolling.

Plus, four syllables? way too long.

how about Galaxians? like space invaders, but introduced a scrolling starfield background (and divebombing invaders, but thats irrelevant in this sense).

"Whats that?"

"atomic triplespin galaxian hybrid"

"can you antispin it?"

"censored off"

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:"What about BTB?"

I dreamt about anti-spin continuous translations. But I think it might require finger spins...

Why is dreamed in the firefox dictionary but dreamt isn't? Is dreamed even grammatical?

How about galaxian pistons? It sorta sounds like something out of a steampunk novel. We need a move called the steampunk. That would rock.

Delete

BamBam
BamBam

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1810
Posted:Great Vid mcp....... now I need to run along and show it to coleman and watch him smile like he does eith all your vids.

ubbrollsmile

barmy

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:Shaweet biggrin

I've been playing with similar stuff (I think I showed them to you very breifly at BJC), only with the non-flat stick isolating around the centre point of the staff, not the other end.
So it's kind of like the parallel bar between the two train wheels...erm..."linkage"
I wish my camera was working

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

meast
Total posts: 38
Posted:whaooo...really really nice.. biggrinit s my favourite vid too..

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:Ah, durbs, i thought you were doing hand isolations? So both of the staffs spinning but with one doing an isolation on the center of the other staff, and you were stopping one to do transitions?

I have a cool move from hand isolations that greg christened: itsy bitsy spider, after a childhood game. (Not my childhood game.)

also: a plain one beat with the other staff doing a hand isolation makes (if clean) a target. A point in the center, from the isolation, a circle from the one beat and then a larger circle from the other end of the isolated staff. If clean = coooooool.

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Yeah, hand isos around the centre of a flat - then switching to end iso (when both are horizontal) and hand iso-ing and pistoning the flat.
Maybe...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:were you? I thought you were just doing hand iso's when anti-spinning the other staff? Occasionally using inner planes and switching which staff did the hand iso?

Where you actually doing something different?

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted:na mate - he was probably doing something gay smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Different and gay.
I highly doubt inner planes though as I don't do them...
Meh, show you Thursday?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:you had my little sticks at the time. I believe you said you could do it with inner planes but didn't proceed to show it. whatever 'it' happens to be.

What time you arriving on thursday? I've got some limpets from ireland, I think we need a park somewhere...

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Posted:Er, I'm arriving 20:30 on Wednesday - so could maybe even show you a whole day earlier you lucky thing you.

Limpets eh? Good crab bait

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:well the limpets arrive about 11:30... so meet in a park about 2 somewhere?

where is everybody meeting for shivan?

Delete

_Clare_
_Clare_

Still wiggling
Total posts: 5967
Posted:Or, Durbin, you could come meet us at the airport smile

Since you speak francais and suchlike... biggrin

See you soon m'lovelies
xx

Getting to the other side smile

Delete

Richee
HOP librarian
Total posts: 1841
Posted:What is "the Pencil"?

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Delete

simian
simian

Posted: Written by: Richee

What is "the Pencil"?

so true. so true.

frown

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:http://www.journalofvision.org/6/6/634/

Sexy!

Pencil Illusion for a hoop: http://journalofvision.org/7/6/9/images/JOV-00302-2006.R1-Auxiliary_Movie_1.html

biggrin

Persistance of Vision is a Myth: http://www.grand-illusions.com/percept.htm
http://www.uca.edu/org/ccsmi/ccsmi/classicwork/Myth1.htm
http://www.uca.edu/org/ccsmi/ccsmi/classicwork/Myth%20Revisited.htm

Full article on the rubbery-ness of a pencil: http://www.journalofvision.org/7/6/9/article.aspx

biggrin

Delete

mcp
mcp

Flying Water Muppet
Posted:
Non-Https Image Link

I love this machine too much.

Non-Https Image Link

Delete

Pyrolific
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
Total posts: 3288
Posted:massively geeky video mcp. smile

snake...hrm...I can see how it describes the move but It also means something very different (as you know). I think there should be a better name than that, because potentially traditional snake variations are possible with all the moves in that video (I guess) smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Delete

simian
simian

Posted:meg - eek hug thank you sooo much. personally i've been investigating phi phenomena and gestalt theory, which is explaining lots of where the "wierd" comes from in what i have suddenly decided to call "new spinning".

Josh - there are two traditional manipulation meanings of "snake" though. Club spinning and Contact Juggling. This is the contact juggling meaning. i think as far as stick goes they're in distinct enough contexts not to be confusing though. if we did need another term for these CJ type snakes, i would prefer "The Worm". But then what if someone starts doing the breakdance "The Worm" with double staffs?!? oh what a tangled web we isolated weave...

Delete

Page: 1...1112131415