Forums > Videos > L.A.B. Reports - THE LAB v2.0

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
hehe - i know dude i was watching.....

well just for you antti - strugz & staffs 3 is going to be nothing but super clean perfectly excecuted contact staff....... check back here in a year or so wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No no no... I want you to abuse MY style more antti... then if ya what... I can critisise yours. (Not that I would enjoy such a prospec... oh no wait... wink )

I'll try and make a 'routine' video this weekend that you can destroy if ya want antti... hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Be careful Antii, She's off on one... Her 'Routine' may involve spandex...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
no, I meant of the routine I did at play, SF, vienna, and bits of the BrJC one from last year.
Non-Https Image Link
for you neon.

I also found out how to convert videos to flv format in linux, so I converted all my tutorials and after I link em all in my website people will be able to stream my videos! No more complaints due to video codecs! whoop! I may even make a flv based tricks (YEAH TRICKS! tongue ) blog... biggrin

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
meg bring a hard drive of some sort to my house........ you can steal all the footage from play then.......

or did i go against the way of the slackness and already send it to you ?

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
You did indeed betray the way of slack and gave me a DVD at leeds one. But you're forgiven becuase you were too slack to remember you did it. wink

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ok.. now that I abused the top contact staffers I can concentrate on YOU.. Whaha.. You look like Arashi taught you contact staff.

No.. really.. let's say you really wasn't the weakest link on your video.. And I truly am trying to be constructive not destructive. Besides your choise of music.

Point your toes.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Argh! I'll make the routine, cutting between various times I did, to try and get at what I wanted the routine to be... and then you can criticize it antti. I'll pm you criticism of your routine as an example. Though some of my criticism will be personal taste. But I think finding out what different people prefer when it comes to contact is also interesting.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Antti

You look like Arashi taught you contact staff.

Now thats an insult! Go Antti! biggrin

wink

ubbrollsmile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Arashi is actually pretty good at contact. It's hella sickening.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ok.. I'll send you my criticism of my routine to you also.. No mercy

Point your toes.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
No you should post it.

Peter Brooke from the book "The Empty Space" on the role of critics in theatre:

"When the man in the street goes to the theatre he can claim just to serve his own pleasure. When a critic goes to a play, he can say he is just serving the man on the street, but it is not accurate. He is not just a tipster. A critic has a far more important role, an essential one, in fact, for an art without critics would be constantly menaced by far greater dangers.

For instance, a critic is always serving the theatre when he is hounding out incompetence. If he spends most of his time grumbling, he is almost always right. The appalling difficulty of making theatre must be accepted: it is, or would be, if truly practised, perhaps the hardest medium of all: it is merciless, there is no room for error, or for waste. A novel can survive the reader who skips pages, or entire chapters; the audience, apt to change from pleasure to boredom in a wink can be lost, irrevocably. Two hours is a short time and an eternity: to use two hours of public time is a fine art. Yet this art with its frightening exigencies is served largely by casual labour. In a deadly vacuum there are few places where we can properly learn the arts of the theatre - so we drop in on the theatre offering love instead of science. This is what the unfortunate critic is nightly called to judge.

Incompetence is the vice, the condition and the tragedy of the world's theatre on any level: for every good light comedy or musical or political revue or verse play or classic that we see there are scores of others that most of the time are betrayed by a lack of elementary skills. The techniques of staging, designing, speaking, walking across a stage, sitting - even listening - just aren't sufficiently known; compare the little it takes - except luck - to get work in many of the theatres of the world with the minimum level of skill demanded say in piano playing: think of how many thousands of music teachers in thousands of small cities can play all the notes of the most difficult passages of Liszt or sight-read Scriabin. Compared with the simple ability of musicians most of our work is at amateur level most of the time. A critic will see far more incompetence in his theatregoing.... Fortunately, the critic does tend to notice and in this sense, his angriest reaction is valuable - it is a call for competence. This is a vital function, but he has still another one. He is a pathmaker.

The critic joins in the deadly game when he does not accept this responsibility, when he belittles his own importance. A critic is usually a sincere and decent man acutely aware of the human aspects of his job... Still, even if he is aware of his power of destruction, he underrates his power for good. When the status quo is rotten - and few critics anywhere would dispute this - the only possibility is to judge events in relation to a possible goal. This is our eventual purpose, our shared aim, and noting all the sign-posts and footprints on the way is our common task. Our relations with critics may be strained in a superficial sense: but in a deeper one the relationship is absolutely necessary: like the fish in the ocean, we need one another's devouring talents to perpetuate the sea bed's existence. However, this devouring is not nearly enough: we need to share the endeavour to rise to the surface. This is what is hard for all of us. The critic is part of the whole and whether he writes his notices fast or slow, short or long, is not really important. Has he an image of how a theatre could be in his community and is he revising this image around each experience he receives? How many critics see their job this way?

It is for this reason that the more the critic becomes an insider, the better. I see nothing good in a critic plunging into our lives, meeting actors, talking, discussing, watching, intervening. I would welcome his putting his hands on the medium and attempting to work it himself.... The criticism that theatre people make of one another is usually of devastating severity - but absolutely precise... the vital critic is the critic who has clearly formulated for himself what the theatre could be - and who is bold enough to throw this formula into jeopardy each time he participates in a theatrical event."

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
quite meg...
its nice to see an more unedited video with people just playing. i'm well into t&b's leg stuff, its what i'm into at the moment, the stops and flicks are lush, and sandys ninja breakdance is well fresh.
you guys trying the steve to side/leg roll, i've found to keep it smooth down to the foot, have your leg side on and almost paralell to the ground, with the outside of the foot facing upwards, also turn body to the r for the left leg and to the l with the right leg, lean back! knee spins can happen sometimes, i haven't got it sussed tho frown
i've also found you can crouch down and have it running down the leg in a ninja pose - this would go well into your breakdancing sandy.
cheers for another LAB you guys. and i like the music choices. smile smile

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Wouldn't putting clean routines completely defeat the whole philosophical purpose behind lab reports?

Dont let Antti's yammering sway you from your mission MCP! Keep up the good work!

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ya ya ya... I never asked for clean routines.. (not in this thread atleast.. not yet atleast..) Just cleaner contact.. And better music.

Point your toes.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

well, here's my 2p:

BOTH of you have dire taste in music.

and both have lovely styles of contact.
antti doesn't play enough.
meg isn't clean enough (dirty f*ckinhippy)

biggrin

love
R

see you monday, strugz, for a play and a smoke, and a real staffers session wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Can see what your saying Antti but when someone stick a camera in front of you and tells you to spin you going to try afew things which aren't clean yet. Personally I have been trying to focus alot more on body movement and balance but I am not going to definend my own spinning cos I dout i could be inparshall about it.

anyhow however it looks I'm still having fun spinning and thats what really counts.

p.s. love the music Meg

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Fair point entheogen, although I don't know if LAB reports every had a firm philosopical purpose. I think me and steve came to the conclusion, pre LAB 01: "Lets just make a video of utter stupidity without any juggling props called Complete and Utter Wank." Which metamorphosised into "GAY LAB" gradually, with an intended purpose of being "a sort of double staff journal video. And then we'll be all famouse and stuff." and then descended into madness.

So in many ways the philosophical purpose of LAB is to spread ideas and chart progress, with an initially heavy influence on abstract sequences of movements some people would brand as "tricks." And to wear white coats.

So it's never been based on cleanness. Or even ability to do what we're filming. ubblol

antti: don't ask don't get. That just one of many messages that could be taken from that passage, but I think it really reflects that we need more of a critical culture here on hop, and in fire spinning in general, in order to progress the art. It's truly my belief that good critics will help us do this.

From wikipedia:

The word critic comes from the Greek kritikós - one who discerns, which itself arises from the Ancient Greek word krités, meaning a person who offers reasoned judgement or analysis, value judgement, interpretation, or observation.

bluecat: Come back to Ed! We miss yoooooouuuuu. And well, people really want the password to your computer ubblol

I don't think I'm currently going for clean. I think I'm currently going for smooth.

as for a routine video.... There might be say three in the works... but as my 'routine' i don't know if I'm allowed to use footage from play... man I ponced like I meant it on that stage! Wooeee! Whatcha say strugz....? (Can I mix it in with other footage?)

I wouldn't care if t&b had leprosy, anti-turn pirouette's to contact catch into a matrix! eek ubblove

addict
446 posts

Posted:
I think I have to take my fast spinning poi comment back a bit.. you guys definitely got more tricks than 3 beat weaves.

But I do still feel like so much of the potential of a trick gets lost in not making it clean. And I would like to hear comments on the comparison between clean as possible poi playing and contact staff. I mean if someone would do contact staff as clean as Ronan does his poi.. wouldn't that be.. great?

And I know what making vids is like. I can't watch the RHD vids if I have the critical eye on. I guess I just wanted to open up more critical conversation "to progress the art".

Point your toes.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
 Written by: The Antti

I mean if someone would do contact staff as clean as Ronan does his poi.. wouldn't that be.. great?

Yep.

cool

Getting to the other side smile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
never actually seen ronan spin poi I don't think. I've seen eimhin, he's my standard of clean poi, doesn't dance much as far as I've seen thou.

So lab 05 isn't very clean either. How did I frickin' make another stupidly long video? I guess that what comes of video taping practise sessions... redface

L.A.B. 05.1 .2 .v and . [Meg Minus Hair]

All Doubles.

Section 1: Anti-spin

Section 2: Spin

Section 3: Contact

Section 4: Freestyle

LAB 05.1 126mb

LAB 05.1 small - 36mb

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Eimhin is starting to move loads more... and it looks awesome...

Ronan is the uber-poi-meister... lovely flow, ridiculously clean, and technical.

Getting to the other side smile

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I made a video of him the other night. Rubbish... he spins like a girl wink

Can I still use that ftp account meg?

I'll upload some low quality unedited sitting room spinning.

Lab 5.1 is cool, I like your head smile

Love is the law.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yeah, just check the email I sent you for details...

They doubled my bandwidth... so now I use 1% of the 2 terabytes per month they give me, instead of 2% ubblol

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
right feedback, i like it, now onto some real feedback

first sequence is nice but the parallel stuff is messy cos your speeding up your bottem arm to go from anti to parallel

the butterfly stuff in the second sequence looks sloppy as the path of the ends dont overlap i think it would look much nicer with an off center grip

diagonal butterfly looks like your doing it with crud planes could look nice on fire tis hard to say, without fire i think you have to do it in a perfect X

stickies behind the head and back looks odd with long sticks

turning behind the back butterfly antispin - looks awkward cos your leaning backwards maybe if you where transitioning from front to back it wouldnt look so awkward

i like the something involving bad anti spin and what it might evolve into particularly the swapping which side its on

the move for noel is TOTALLY gay ..... on a scale of one to gay elton john would look at it and go, "oooOOoooh crickey thats mighty gay now isnt it" then sip a cup of tea with his little finger out

with your butterfly antispin you seem to always bend one arm which is messing up the levelness of the move

the quartered stuff would look nicer if it didnt have the stop and translate it, id much rather see it continued back in the opposite direction keeping with the rotationy feel like the head hit thing

triangles must be isocellies or they are just look like you are having a mild seizures while forgetting to fall over

watermill ... work the shoulders and pose .... and pose.... and pose and pose and pose

something spinny 2 at the start is cool except when you bring the staff back across your body it breaks plane and destroys the effect

shoulder beats are clunky i think if you have a big offcenter grip to the point that you are isolating it this will smooth it out and the ends dont trace the same path

butterfly hugs and friends is cool i have a variation ill send you, it involves slightly more contortedness

ill add more comments from after 6.20 tommorows zzzzz time for me now

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

watermill ... work the shoulders and pose .... and pose.... and pose and pose and pose

biggrin

my new theory is: whatever movement you have to do to make the pattern work, exagerate it and pretend it's dance. ubblol

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
eek Is the missing hair a result from trying the move 'stickies behind the head and back' on fire?

I know I always mentioned shaving my head cause the friggen hair got in the way for contact, but I don't think I could ever really go through with it.

Dammn girl, you hardcore.

And some of those doubles antispins look really cool. I'll have to try out a couple.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
The hair was going the way of the mullet so I diverted it to the way of the chop.

I know what you're gonna say: "going? ubblol "

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

I know what you're gonna say: "going? ubblol "

ubblol

going my arse!! ubblol

M8 - that was truely awesome - Bluecat, Dub, Mynci and myself sat and watched it at mine last night - we all sighed and went ubblove at many points........ cool

Although after that we went out to the park - late at night it was, we came across something truely remakable, like something youve never seen!

Video will come soon enough...

But until then everyone should just keep watching this one biggrin

oh and for the record - i can do it the other way ubbloco ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
ZOMG! Like something I'VE never seen! Wow, like that's everything in comparison to what I know... which is a very tiny thing, and like everything else is a big mountain, like bigger than K2.

for stateing the obvious

Thanks for the comments strugz... made me : biggrin

ben: don't think you're let off with only critiqueing half... slacker.

Right fine, I'll do it the other way on the next vid... tongue wink

Page: ......