pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
a fellow poi spinner and friend of mine in vegas told me about this guy, and i wanted to know other people's opinions on this one. i know we all have different levels of experience, and different levels of confidence about our skills, but in my opinion i really hate it when someone becomes overly arrogant about their skill level, even if they truly are the "best" poi spinner in the world. that's a big reason i love the community here on HOP so much, because most of us are helpful to each other, we don't try to one-up each other, we care.

anyways, i'll stop rambling and let you read yourself, form your own opinion.

****edit: per request of my friend, i'm taking down his emails back and forth to this guy. but i'm still leaving up the link to his site because i think this is an interesting discussion. i haven't spoken with this guy personally, but i still don't agree with his long tirade posts about how wonderful he is. arrogance is the biggest turn off to me. i don't care how good you really may be, i just think it's bad form to brag about yourself like this guy does. but that's just my humble opinion, and i'd love to hear what other people think.****

check this guy out, tell me what you think.

https://www.myspace.com/bryan_the_magnificent

EDITED_BY: pounce (1150654255)

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ummm well he may be a over-confident - but the way i read it, he sent an email complimenting your friend - and she replied with quite an agressive email attacking him ... sure he may talk himself up on his site - but if i sent someone a compliment, then got that email in return - id reply with some strong words.

maybe i just read it the wrong way - but thats what struck me the first time i read it.

E ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
i hear what you're saying. i'm just thinking more of that guy's initial perspective.....his whole thing of proclaiming he's the best, and even if he found someone better he'd made sure he'd train to "take them out."

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
well, i'm positive he wont be inheriting the earth. wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

RaveRepresentSILVER Member
addict
567 posts

Posted:
Through my eyes, lets not e-mail him. He should learn things the hard way. He cannot be good at everything. Yet i do understand his input in this, i cant understand why he made such a sweet apology then threw in that anger mail at the end. I also understand there is a matter of motivation in him, but possibly he's going to far. Now i believe he should be told some other time, we arent the people to tell him what to do or say. We hardly know the guy. Yes, he may seem arrogant and cocky, but a slim chance can tell us that hes just being that way to be noticed. Excuse my rambling on and on... The way he is acting/being could just be a cover up to hide some flaws about him. I wont know, frankly, i dont mind much. Im also big on kharma, what goes around comes around biggrin

"I don't know what you are talking about"

"Cardinal!!! Poke her... with the SOFT CUSIONS!!!!"

"Its not working my lord!"

"Have you got all of the stuffing on one end?!"

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
https://www.myspace.com/bryan_the_magnificent

*cough* dik ed *cough* ubblol

i'm with RR on this one, ok......there's self belief but everyone knows there's always going to be someone bigget and better out there at some point in your life, and frankly you'd be delusional if you thought otherwise

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Some people are arrogant, others aren't. There's no need to get offended by it.

on my myspace profile I talk about how great I am and how much I kickass, but only as a laugh. I think everyone's kickass pretty much. smile

If that guy is an arrogant git then let him get on with it, don't waste your energy on him smile

EDIT: however, your friend was the one in the wrong IMO in this instance. He sent her a complimentary email, she was rude in reply. he then replied saying "i didnt mean to offend, I'm only having a joke". again she was rude to him. Then he said some mean stuff. But I dont blame him, if I sent someone a compliment then they looked at my profile and judged me, and then after i explained were STILL being rude, I think I'd be p!ssed off too.

Either way, in the scheme of things, who cares? biggrin
EDITED_BY: jo_rhymes (1150626370)

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Just watched his video...not bad I know a non hopper who does similar but better with lots of 1 long and 1 short poi weaves keeping the planes tight..(is he the guy bashing himself with wraps constantly?)

His planes on the butterfly style moves are a bit poor.

besides he can't be the greatest... I am wink oh wait no sorry i was wrong i suck.

has anyone sent him anything by yuta etc to show him another style / level of skill? true he is pompous by his profile but in all honesty no worse than frodo ( I lived with him so I know) and frodo's not all bad he puts in the time and effort so good on him.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
"I don't need instructions to know how to rock!"

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
ubblol "I'm one of the more notable fire performers in the world" ubblol

meg i must say im impressed at your restraint in not leaving a comment on his video

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

7,193 posts

Posted:
i'm going to troll his account and see how much i can wind him up ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

ubblol "I'm one of the more notable fire performers in the world" ubblol

meg i must say im impressed at your restraint in not leaving a comment on his video

It's self preservation, I can't look at myspace for too long without vomiting. I don't know what I'd do if I tryed to sign up for / to it in order to watch videos / look at pictures.

I thought glittergirl was the robert heart of poi, seems I was very wrong thou...

Oh did I say that out loud? devil

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Anyway I can see the video without registering for that myspace thing?

I consider myself lucky, out of the hundreds of spinners I've met over the past three years I've only met one who's displayed that type of arrogance.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i really dont think he's being sincere guys, I think he's just having a joke.
"Heroes: Spiderman of coarse! and who's that guy that's really great with fire? oh yeah.. me! ;-)"

It all depends on your interpretation. I think he's just having a joke and a laugh. I dont think he'd be rude from the above emails that pounce posted.

If you still think he's an arrogant pompous tw*t, don't bother hassling him, because then what does that make you? smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
well said jo. I sent him a message asking to see more of his stuff. thought if i was nice i may get a more true interpretation of the guy.

only thing is he states he is one of the best in the world and he is on COL4 is he on HoP? or any other spinning forum? he must have contemporaries...

edit.

I just got a message from the guy complimenting my pictures he was very flattering and the pics aren't great... he says he has hardly seen any staff stuff and can only do about 3 tricks with stix... I withold further judgment...
EDITED_BY: Mynci (1150644166)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
haha, you know what would be hilarious? if he were a member of the boards and nobody knew. :evilgrin: i'm sure he'd appreciate an entire community judging him. ubblol

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

SYNGEGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
I am ~SYNGE~. I was the one in this discussion. After conversing with a mentor.....I realized that I was in the wrong. I DID throw the first verbal blow. I really didn't want to come off as a prick when I first replied him.....but what's done is done. I manned up and appologized. Anyone that is passionate in what they do....whether they are arrogant or not....will harshly defend themselves. Here was another case of misinterpritting. He actually is pretty level headed and there is reasoning behind his "attitude". I appologize for getting you guys into it....(even though I was not the one who put this up here).....but hey....who doesn't enjoy a little drama? lol. I asked Pounce if she could remove this thread. There should be no negativity in what we do.....especially talking behind someones back and judging them before we actually talk to them like we are on this thread. I wish the best for all artists.

7,193 posts

Posted:
i'll hold my hands up......."trolling" someone is not exactly mature, ok it can be funny but you look about 12 doing it to someone. my earlier comments where off the cuff...............i have a thing about people with over inflated ego's and self infatuation................my old boss was a narcissistic poison troll............so years of putting up with him warped my view point

redface

pounceSILVER Member
9,831 posts

Posted:
ok i edited my first post but i'm not deleting it cause i still think this is a good discussion. smile

**giggles**

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
flairdevil, thanks for saying that biggrin

Some people act in ways we dont like, but it doesn't make them horrible people. It certainly does no good asking people to hassle them online! hug

7,193 posts

Posted:
that's true...................if.....it was a self delusional person and not someone just "having a laugh" i prolly would have try'd to wind them up but as i said it's childish and a waste of energy and i most certainly would not like to be "trolled" online

hug no hard feelin's flairdevil

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
even if he was deluded- its up to him. dont waste your breath.
why bother trying to wind someone up? someone you dont even know?
just go and have a spin outside in the sun sunny

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
An interesting point... if you scroll down on that link, to the messages from other myspace users... anyone else notice he has no messages from male friends? umm

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

7,193 posts

Posted:
*wanders off outside with toys under instruction from jo*

(spin)
(spin)
(spin)
(spin)
*owch*
(spin)
(spin)
(spin)
(spin)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Polythene....i dont get it...

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by: polythene

An interesting point... if you scroll down on that link, to the messages from other myspace users... anyone else notice he has no messages from male friends? umm

if you also look at his friends (he has 6 pages of them) none of them are guys i dont think

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
No punchline to get, Rouge, just that all his online friends are girls. No guys. Found it odd smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.