Forums > Videos > Nick's Video Thread: Lots of New Videos

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
And even more latest videos:

1) Advanced Beat Theory and Reel Turns: Explores different ways you can count the rhythm and beat of the poi, and how to apply that to specific moves and to dance in general. A great tutorial if you're the self-teaching type.

2) How to Make Meteors: A quick tutorial on making poi-style meteors with foam balls and colecord.

3) Getting Started with Double-Staffs: Explores some ways to get your double-staffing off to a good start. Definitely just the tip of a big iceberg but sometimes that's all you need.

Love and light from Bali,

Nick

»

------------------

Latest Videos:

1. Eat Drew's Book!

2. Backwards 5-Beat Weave and BTB 5-Beat Weave

3. Interview Questions from Poland Part 1

Enjoy!

------------------

And just when you thought things couldn't get any better, I bring you (yes!) more videos!:

1) The Atomic Weave: Enter the World of 3D spinning. Andy first showed this to me at the Poi Studio years ago, and yes, people have taken this idea all kinds of places since, but this is a good way to start.

2) The Mighty Banyan: Banyan is one of my favorite fire spinners ever, and I mention him in "The Beautiful Thing about Ashes." This is some great double staff spinning from Thailand and India.

We're really rolling now that we have a computer again. Stay tuned for at least one new video every week, yay!

n

-----------------------

...and less then a week later, I bring you Nick and Yuta: Poi Story! This is the Director's Cut of our COL entry, 6.5 minutes long, meaning it has the full "story line" and most of our choreography, yay!

------------------

Ok, now it's Feb 11th, 2008 as I post this. Latest video is More Fun with Flowtoys, using some great footage from a very fun night of shooting in Bali. A good example of some plane bending and 3d poi spinning. Enjoy!

--------------------

Ah, I´m afraid I´ve been too busy for posting. We´ve put up a whole bunch of new tutorial videos: Including Spiral Wraps, Planes and Orbing, a cute compilation of the workshops in Prague, Crossers, Isolations, a most Excellent Flow Toys video, and another flowers video, yay. You can find them all on playpoi.com/videos. Ooooh... it wasn´t easy to do all this though. Sometimes I wish I wasn´t quite such a silly person...

--------------

Breaking News: We've begun to put up a whole series of adventure-tutorials, filmed as Jocelyn and I travel around the world. Already 4 videos up. This is why I never have time for the discussion forums

Behind the Back Weave

Under the Legs

Super-Duper-Uber-Loops

5-Beat Weaves

------------------

Yes, it's true: Nick Strips for Money

-------------

Latest before that:

Show Your Poi! I get regular emails through my site from people who want to know more about what kind of poi to use. Usually people who aren't lucky enough to have other people to play with... and since we had such a nice crew in Thailand, I figured it would be sweet if we all whipped it out for a little show and tell.

The Beautiful thing about Ashes. I'm getting a bit experimental with this one, and a bit personal as well

NICK VS YUTA! A tale of honor, envy, friendship, and jugglers turned poi spinners. With martial arts and bad dubbing to boot!

For Previous videos, see visit the videos page on playpoi.com

-----------------

Note: this will henceforwards and forevermore be my poi video thread on HOP, unless I decide otherwise.

I am proud to say that I have been a busy (too busy) Canadian Beaver and I'm sitting on an awful lot of video footage, which I'm finally beginning to release now that we are launching the new playpoi.com. Videoes will be mostly in quicktime format (Quicktime 7.0) and on youtube and google video as well.

So, to start it off, I bring you When Circles Dream

This is the most ambitious video I have yet made. It features original music by my friend Tarun Nayar, and a lot of video, photos, and performance from a shwack of artists.

...and as some self promotion, you can get a high-res version of this on my DVD, The Scales of Poi, available right here at homeofpoi!!

Um... so there you go. I'll be posting more videos every week or two, so stay tuned.

Poifully,

nick

EDITED_BY: Meenik (1208501580)

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
great tutorials...i got almost immediately the under the leg thing and i'm trying over and over the super-duper-hyper-super-coolstuff-loop!:) which is something i'll probably get in two years or so

nice job!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
The SuperDuperUberLoops seem to be easier than they look... but yes, it does take time smile

Also, somebody suggested I produce a video with some Germans, regarding the correct way to pronounce "Uber." Hehehe..

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Uberloops... Man, those things rock. Thanks a lot for the vid dude. In fact, thanks for all of them! biggrin

I'm sure learning these things is going to keep me busy for many many hours! ubblol

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

KuzmaBRONZE Member
stranger
6 posts

Posted:
I have the question. Is possible make SuperDuperUberLoops front you? I have see this by one man, bud i was a little drunk and don´t know if was it the SuperDuperUberLoop. I don´t understand technically how...

I´m locking forward on your workshop in Prague...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
HI NICK!!! wave

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
Hey there Nick. I just wanted to let you know that I just found the videos you put up on your site this weekend. I love them It's like PoiTV! I've spent a lot of time since Friday watching and re-watching the lessons and discussions you've put up and I really feel I've learned and progressed so much because of them. Once rent's paid I'm DEFINITELY picking up a copy of Scales of Poi. Something about the way that you explain WHY these things work, not just how to do them...it really clicks with me. And so I wanted to thank you.

Also...man...The Beautiful Thing About Ashes was amazing and inspiring, and it made me tear up a little. I've very much got the "artistic temperment" and everything that goes with that, and it's really nice to see someone speak about it in such an uplifting and beautiful way. And even if there hadn't been that message attached to it, I know it would still be one of my favorite spinning videos.

Just...thanks for sharing so much with us. Don't stop!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Now I've also added the Isolated 3-Beat Weave! smile
EDITED_BY: Meenik (1190812734)

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
I got the uberloop!..... Although i can keep it for only few seconds then my socks get twisted and tangled....is it normal at the beginning or am i doing something wrong? smile
EDITED_BY: sp1ke333 (1190818028)

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Aha! Yes, swivels! To keep an uberloop going it helps to have swivels. Otherwise the tethers do wind up. I have great swivels on my fire poi so I can even do this with fire smile

n

NaganootchAKA CLERIC
172 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Also known as "orbitals" by the glowstringers, superduperuberloops are a variation of hyperloops. This has been one of my primary pet moves for the past year, and yet I still can't quite master it! I'd love to see this move become popular, as I'm sure we'll see ubercreativity regarding new things to do with it. smile

Why would you rename "orbitals"? I'm just curious. Orbitals is by far the most well known term for that particular move.

I mean in your demo clip you still call airwraps airwraps....why not call them fancyunicorntwistystraws ?

We are defined by the choices we make

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
heya nick....hug

not "your"-thread, but btw: from when on are you in berlin again????? wanna meet up there?????? would love to....!!!!
hug

peace and love,
kisses,
jässy

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Dearest Mr. Nick,

As a self proclaimed poi ambassador in the glow sticking world I can say that the wonderful glowstickers have been incredibly welcoming to me and us as a whole. They've also been quite diligent in respecting many of the poi conventions that the poi kids have created.

My understanding is that an "orbital" is a fundamental glowsticking move with a huge history in that community.

I think that renaming it actually may disrespect some of the huge groundwork that the glowsticking community has made in the area of orbitals.

I'm sure that from "our" point of view, pulling it out of their community and renaming it a silly name seems fun but I'm not sure how that would be perceived from a different perspective.

I continually admire all that you have done for the poi community including the amount of respect you have shown everyone and everything within the community.

I'm SURE I'll get slammed for this post as ludicrous or stupid or oversensitive but I'm fairly confident that many that will say that don't have the particular perspective of some of the positive and respectful forces in some of the glow sticking communities.

Respectfully yours,

NYC

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
agreed, but also, not bothered wink

T

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

sp1ke333SILVER Member
24 posts

Posted:
I guess (but that's just my opinion) that Nick renamed it only because in poi jargon already exists a move called "orbital" and that's it smile

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Interesting.

I do appreciate your concern and I AM now looking at it from your point of view... I think I'll re-do the video a bit (or make an additional one) to offer more respect and acknowledgement to the glowsticking community... and to see if any of them can help me do it better.

The important thing is that a) people know that there is a history of this move in the glowsticking world, that b) they call them "orbitals," and that c) I'm calling them superduperuberloops for fun. I already say this in the video (and every time I show the move) but I should make it even more clear.

I like the name SuperDuperUberLoops. It's cute and silly and it's led to many fun evenings of German's explaining how to properly pronounce "uber," which I still can't pronounce.

I'm beginning to call together time "flocking." I might even start calling the chase "winding and unwinding." If this kind of thing leads to playful exchanges then I'm thrilled. If I start getting hate mail I don't know what I'll do.

So, yes, I would be disappointed if people actually got tied up in a knot about this, but at the same time I would love it if it led to a positive exchange between the communities... so I appreciate the post smile

But really: If glowstringers started calling flowers "Cycloids," it wouldn't even occur to me to be bothered. I'd kind of enjoy it, to be honest. I'm very interested in how language works, and how it spreads, and how it changes, and I'll probably continue to play with names and language in regards to poi.

n

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
*bows*

Thank you for taking the time to consider this. Your response is perfect.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Eep.

Looks like the [Old link] has been open.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Yup. Cool. I stand by my god given right to call them what I like calling them... but I will also make some modifications out of respect to the glowstringers. I think people should know that they are called orbitals and that the glowstringers are very good at them... and that Nick likes to call them SuperDuperUberLoops because he loves Rob and Germany.

n

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I fully support your first amendment rights. [You guys abide by our constitution too right? wink ]

Keep in mind that this wouldn't be an issue at all if you weren't one of the premier object manipulators in the planet. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I always forget that because I usually feel more like squeegy-kid-who-plays-poi. wink

I have modified my HOP postings, youtube postings, and playpoi postings to make it more clear that they are more widely known as orbitals, and that SuperDuperUberLoops is just my pet name.

I would love to see the glowstringers make a tutorial about them, as I still feel like I am missing something.

n

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Go make an account on Glowsticking.com and PM Cleric.

It's a very different community out there so it might.. actually WILL take a bit of adjusting. Heck, even the website navigation is a bit daunting out there. Don't get intimidated by the amount of sea of little kids because the islands of wisdom out there are pretty impressive.

If you need a break from wrap combos and crazyass orbitals, check out the "freehand" kids and let folks like Rai rock your world.

Unfortunately, I don't think glowsticking translates as well onto film. But maybe because my eye isn't as good as it is for catching crazy poi stuff.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hi Nick.
Watched your videos, good as always but I remember that we talked about the isolated 3 beat weave when you where here and why it`s hard to make it fully islolated.
The answer we camed up to (as I remeber it) where that we don`t put our hands in the armpits while we move the bottom hand/poi.
I made a vid and will upload it in a while.
But try once again but when you move the right or the left bottom hand/poi to the otherside, put it in you armpit, and that would be the answer to the mystery wink
Take care and I hope to see you soon!!!!!

Love Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ah, I´m afraid I´ve been too busy for posting. We´ve put up a whole bunch of new tutorial videos: Including Spiral Wraps, Planes and Orbing, a cute compilation of the workshops in Prague, Crossers, Isolations, a most Excellent Flow Toys video, and another flowers video, yay. You can find them all on playpoi.com/videos. Ooooh... it wasn´t easy to do all this though. Sometimes I wish I wasn´t quite such a silly person...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Cheers Nick...

I've only watched a couple of your new tutorials but I've been very impressed with what I've seen.

You've definitely raised the bar when it comes to tutorials.

beerchug

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Latest video is More Fun with Flowtoys, using some great footage from a very fun night of shooting in Bali. A good example of some plane bending and 3d poi spinning. Enjoy!

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
awesome moves, character & smiles ubbrollsmile
which reminds me you're still ranking #1 in my poi hereo list hug

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Great video!

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
You Showpony... Love It biggrin

Can we see a martial arts background much :P

Awesome video dude... Just got myself a set of FlowPoi... They're so nice =D
EDITED_BY: Moka (1202888238)

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
...and less then a week later, I bring you Nick and Yuta: Poi Story! This is the Director's Cut of our COL entry, 6.5 minutes long, meaning it has the full "story line" and most of our choreography, yay!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, two new videos:

1) The Atomic Weave: Enter the World of 3D spinning. Andy first showed this to me at the Poi Studio years ago, and yes, people have taken this idea all kinds of places since, but this is a good way to start.

2) The Mighty Banyan: Banyan is one of my favorite fire spinners ever, and I mention him in "The Beautiful Thing about Ashes." This is some great double staff spinning from Thailand and India.

We're really rolling now that we have a computer again. Stay tuned for at least one new video every week, yay!

n biggrin biggrin biggrin ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubblove ubbloco

Page: ...