Forums > Videos > Nick's Video Thread: Lots of New Videos

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
And even more latest videos:

1) Advanced Beat Theory and Reel Turns: Explores different ways you can count the rhythm and beat of the poi, and how to apply that to specific moves and to dance in general. A great tutorial if you're the self-teaching type.

2) How to Make Meteors: A quick tutorial on making poi-style meteors with foam balls and colecord.

3) Getting Started with Double-Staffs: Explores some ways to get your double-staffing off to a good start. Definitely just the tip of a big iceberg but sometimes that's all you need.

Love and light from Bali,

Nick

»

------------------

Latest Videos:

1. Eat Drew's Book!

2. Backwards 5-Beat Weave and BTB 5-Beat Weave

3. Interview Questions from Poland Part 1

Enjoy!

------------------

And just when you thought things couldn't get any better, I bring you (yes!) more videos!:

1) The Atomic Weave: Enter the World of 3D spinning. Andy first showed this to me at the Poi Studio years ago, and yes, people have taken this idea all kinds of places since, but this is a good way to start.

2) The Mighty Banyan: Banyan is one of my favorite fire spinners ever, and I mention him in "The Beautiful Thing about Ashes." This is some great double staff spinning from Thailand and India.

We're really rolling now that we have a computer again. Stay tuned for at least one new video every week, yay!

n

-----------------------

...and less then a week later, I bring you Nick and Yuta: Poi Story! This is the Director's Cut of our COL entry, 6.5 minutes long, meaning it has the full "story line" and most of our choreography, yay!

------------------

Ok, now it's Feb 11th, 2008 as I post this. Latest video is More Fun with Flowtoys, using some great footage from a very fun night of shooting in Bali. A good example of some plane bending and 3d poi spinning. Enjoy!

--------------------

Ah, I´m afraid I´ve been too busy for posting. We´ve put up a whole bunch of new tutorial videos: Including Spiral Wraps, Planes and Orbing, a cute compilation of the workshops in Prague, Crossers, Isolations, a most Excellent Flow Toys video, and another flowers video, yay. You can find them all on playpoi.com/videos. Ooooh... it wasn´t easy to do all this though. Sometimes I wish I wasn´t quite such a silly person...

--------------

Breaking News: We've begun to put up a whole series of adventure-tutorials, filmed as Jocelyn and I travel around the world. Already 4 videos up. This is why I never have time for the discussion forums

Behind the Back Weave

Under the Legs

Super-Duper-Uber-Loops

5-Beat Weaves

------------------

Yes, it's true: Nick Strips for Money

-------------

Latest before that:

Show Your Poi! I get regular emails through my site from people who want to know more about what kind of poi to use. Usually people who aren't lucky enough to have other people to play with... and since we had such a nice crew in Thailand, I figured it would be sweet if we all whipped it out for a little show and tell.

The Beautiful thing about Ashes. I'm getting a bit experimental with this one, and a bit personal as well

NICK VS YUTA! A tale of honor, envy, friendship, and jugglers turned poi spinners. With martial arts and bad dubbing to boot!

For Previous videos, see visit the videos page on playpoi.com

-----------------

Note: this will henceforwards and forevermore be my poi video thread on HOP, unless I decide otherwise.

I am proud to say that I have been a busy (too busy) Canadian Beaver and I'm sitting on an awful lot of video footage, which I'm finally beginning to release now that we are launching the new playpoi.com. Videoes will be mostly in quicktime format (Quicktime 7.0) and on youtube and google video as well.

So, to start it off, I bring you When Circles Dream

This is the most ambitious video I have yet made. It features original music by my friend Tarun Nayar, and a lot of video, photos, and performance from a shwack of artists.

...and as some self promotion, you can get a high-res version of this on my DVD, The Scales of Poi, available right here at homeofpoi!!

Um... so there you go. I'll be posting more videos every week or two, so stay tuned.

Poifully,

nick

EDITED_BY: Meenik (1208501580)

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Clare, you're definitely invited! But I think you'll have a slightly more staring role that requires a little wiggling smile

As for holding my props, is that what you call them in Ireland? I don't get offers like that often....

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Sweet as bro...

smile

Hope all is well in Bali... Did you visit the sunset temple yet? Is it horribly touristy?

Take care
hug2

Getting to the other side smile

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Nick. Another inspiring and touching video indeed. I feel your pain as I also suffer from low self esteem and depression sometimes regardless of how many wonderful people surround me. I guess everyone does from time to time. Its best just to be happy that we DO have such wonderful people around us because I don't think everyone is as fortunate. And if ever you need help on your projects, know that I would gladly assist!

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
Nick a fantastic vid... and if you visit clare then your getting down to Dublin so i can atleast say hello biggrin

loved the message and much respect for putting it out there smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Nick, That was a fantastic video, both for the spinning, and the sentiments expressed in the subtitles.

I've been through a lot of similar feelings the last few years, different reasons obviously, but much heartfelt sympathy for you.

you always produce such beautiful fluid movement, both of yourself and your poi, and I love the way you short/long poi transition so fluidly.

I'm still kicking myself completely for being too shy to try say hi when I saw you at the Bristol juggling convention last year, I was only there for the last 2 days, and spotted you once across a crowd.

It may not help with your worries, but you are an inspiration to thousands hug

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Beautiful, beautiful beautiful Nick.

I am another one who often goes through depressions, but everyone thinks is really positive all the time.

You are such an inspiration to me. Love you, your book, your play, your vids, your humour, everything.
Be so nice to see you again.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
hey nick!

hug Didn't comment on this video yet - I love it <3<3<3 I'm hoping you're going back to Thailand and I get a chance to catch you! I'll be in may 7th in bangkok and may 11th in Chiang Mai, I'll try and msg you here and through playpoi.

Much love and happy spinning.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
wow, that was a more lovely and touching video than i had imagined.. even after reading the story. wonderful to here everything has taken a step for the better smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, new video: Show Your Poi!

I get regular emails from people who want to know more about poi (how long, what kind of handles, how heavy, etc.), usually from people who aren't lucky enough to have a spinning community to play with... and since we had such a nice crew in Thailand, I figured it would be sweet if we all whipped it out for a little show and tell. ubbrollsmile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yay, that was cool! (Hello everyone!) I got some of those Isis firepoi from Salza last year. Took me a while to get brave enough to light them up, they are so big. Now I'm not scared any more:) They're great... I only dip them for about 3 seconds though cos they soak up soooo much fuel. AND don't forget the spin off jar cos a LOT comes off them! Once they have fuel on they are also heavy and make me spin more slowly and carefully which is good. And cause they go for so long I can get *in the zone* like with glowies.. but with fire... and cause they are such a different weight with fuel to what they are without, it's made me light up more to practice with. Yay!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
not the first time things have been whipped out for a show and tell, eh, nick? wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
wow Nick - inspiring honesty smile

You shine without the poi hug

Josh

PS - no .mov version of show your poi? I can't watch youtube on my connection.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Just added the .mov link smile

...and I haven't the faintest idea what you're insinuating, LazyAngel, and it certainly doesn't have anything to do with a video that doesn't exist and which I won't be releasing next week.

n

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I really enjoyed the show and tell: there were some reall interesting ideas there: my favorites were the rubber poi covers and the kevlar sleeves: genius! ubbidea

Nick-you're a much braver man than I! hug

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
nice vid
but I went on the youtube link...the top related video is an exotic dancer video with pole dancing fire poi and flags
very interesting

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Except, web site redirection, double loop handle,

some heavy chain I like.

Cause I think doesn't matter where you get your

Poi from, but if they fit, come with quality.

Double loop handles, need exact holding. I'd pre-

fere single loop pinkie style, well choice vary.

About the chain, one I've come with rule that the

wick should be allways heavier than chain with

loop, one pair doesn't pass by view.

Well, be well Nick.

shine on you,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, ok, it's true. It was true all along. There really is a video of me stripping for money.

I was waiting to release it with some new poiticipation stuff, but it's all taking too long, so I'm releasing it now because a certain somebody had their birthday recently smile

n ubbloco hug hug hug juggle biggrin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
ubblol Nick, you're a nutter: A lovely nutter, but a nutter:
hug
Just wait til Lightning sees this..

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
*heya nick!!!!*

just had a look through your pics on playpoi.com.........wow.........thx........miss you lots......would love to meet up this summer again.....will have finished my university end of june for good......and will be free.......at.least for a while again.....and would love to spin, talk, travel.......or at least meet up somewhere in the world......
was thinking of either going to the ejc....or to thailand to meet up with andrea....or even go to shanghai...to meet up with steffan & nicola....our more or less freshly married couple bounce hug

what do you reckon???

hug
xxx

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh dod Nick. Cracking up here in the kitchen. ROFL in the kitchen!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug2

Thank you Nick... that is an outstanding present...

I'm so impressed at your strength and the good place you are right now.

Hurrah!! I had a Nick stripper biggrin

Sweet smile

hug

You should do it as a street show biggrin

I'll hold the little playpoi sign smile

See you soon

xx

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
There will be more nudity. Be sure of that.

Mwahaahaahaahaa

ubbloco ubbloco ubblove ubbrollsmile hug hug hug

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblove

biggrin

xx

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
What is true?

light,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

eeekmember
38 posts

Posted:
damn such kind of thing has to be supported!

where is your bank account no.?

i am [censored] broke but i would love to send you my last 10 euros!!!!!!!!!!!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
I knew it! I should have started stripping a long time ago!

Don't send your last ten Euros though. You should spend that on [self-edited because children might be reading]. You should pick one of the free, easy, and very useful poiticpation items from the poiticipate page.

biggrin biggrin ubbloco ubblol

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Nick - how much for no more stripping?? come on man, I've told you I'll pay! That little playpoi sign is a little small and sluggish...

ubblol ubblol

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
It was more sluggish in an earlier edit. I'm glad a certain Austrian friend pointed out the frames where the sign wasn't doing it's job

n
ubbloco ubbloco

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Breaking News: We've begun to put up a whole series of adventure-tutorials, filmed as Jocelyn and I travel around the world. Already 4 videos up. This is why I never have time for the discussion forums ubbrollsmile biggrin

Behind the Back Weave

Under the Legs

Super-Duper-Uber-Loops

5-Beat Weaves

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
thanks man! I was really bummed about not catching the uberloops workshop as it collided with 2 other workshops i wanted to go to.

Page: