Forums > Videos > Nick's Video Thread: Lots of New Videos

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
And even more latest videos:

1) Advanced Beat Theory and Reel Turns: Explores different ways you can count the rhythm and beat of the poi, and how to apply that to specific moves and to dance in general. A great tutorial if you're the self-teaching type.

2) How to Make Meteors: A quick tutorial on making poi-style meteors with foam balls and colecord.

3) Getting Started with Double-Staffs: Explores some ways to get your double-staffing off to a good start. Definitely just the tip of a big iceberg but sometimes that's all you need.

Love and light from Bali,

Nick

»

------------------

Latest Videos:

1. Eat Drew's Book!

2. Backwards 5-Beat Weave and BTB 5-Beat Weave

3. Interview Questions from Poland Part 1

Enjoy!

------------------

And just when you thought things couldn't get any better, I bring you (yes!) more videos!:

1) The Atomic Weave: Enter the World of 3D spinning. Andy first showed this to me at the Poi Studio years ago, and yes, people have taken this idea all kinds of places since, but this is a good way to start.

2) The Mighty Banyan: Banyan is one of my favorite fire spinners ever, and I mention him in "The Beautiful Thing about Ashes." This is some great double staff spinning from Thailand and India.

We're really rolling now that we have a computer again. Stay tuned for at least one new video every week, yay!

n

-----------------------

...and less then a week later, I bring you Nick and Yuta: Poi Story! This is the Director's Cut of our COL entry, 6.5 minutes long, meaning it has the full "story line" and most of our choreography, yay!

------------------

Ok, now it's Feb 11th, 2008 as I post this. Latest video is More Fun with Flowtoys, using some great footage from a very fun night of shooting in Bali. A good example of some plane bending and 3d poi spinning. Enjoy!

--------------------

Ah, I´m afraid I´ve been too busy for posting. We´ve put up a whole bunch of new tutorial videos: Including Spiral Wraps, Planes and Orbing, a cute compilation of the workshops in Prague, Crossers, Isolations, a most Excellent Flow Toys video, and another flowers video, yay. You can find them all on playpoi.com/videos. Ooooh... it wasn´t easy to do all this though. Sometimes I wish I wasn´t quite such a silly person...

--------------

Breaking News: We've begun to put up a whole series of adventure-tutorials, filmed as Jocelyn and I travel around the world. Already 4 videos up. This is why I never have time for the discussion forums

Behind the Back Weave

Under the Legs

Super-Duper-Uber-Loops

5-Beat Weaves

------------------

Yes, it's true: Nick Strips for Money

-------------

Latest before that:

Show Your Poi! I get regular emails through my site from people who want to know more about what kind of poi to use. Usually people who aren't lucky enough to have other people to play with... and since we had such a nice crew in Thailand, I figured it would be sweet if we all whipped it out for a little show and tell.

The Beautiful thing about Ashes. I'm getting a bit experimental with this one, and a bit personal as well

NICK VS YUTA! A tale of honor, envy, friendship, and jugglers turned poi spinners. With martial arts and bad dubbing to boot!

For Previous videos, see visit the videos page on playpoi.com

-----------------

Note: this will henceforwards and forevermore be my poi video thread on HOP, unless I decide otherwise.

I am proud to say that I have been a busy (too busy) Canadian Beaver and I'm sitting on an awful lot of video footage, which I'm finally beginning to release now that we are launching the new playpoi.com. Videoes will be mostly in quicktime format (Quicktime 7.0) and on youtube and google video as well.

So, to start it off, I bring you When Circles Dream

This is the most ambitious video I have yet made. It features original music by my friend Tarun Nayar, and a lot of video, photos, and performance from a shwack of artists.

...and as some self promotion, you can get a high-res version of this on my DVD, The Scales of Poi, available right here at homeofpoi!!

Um... so there you go. I'll be posting more videos every week or two, so stay tuned.

Poifully,

nick

EDITED_BY: Meenik (1208501580)

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Yay!! Thanks for the hard work nick, you're loved for it!

- eagerly d/ling now..

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Super! Love it!

You're the man.

Damn, seriously.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
lovely as always Nick! biggrin
really liked the music as well!

Thanks for Sharing and good luck with the Plan! smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ubblovegorgeous....as always!

Come visit us soon yeah! biggrin hug

sagetreeGOLD Member
organic creation
246 posts

Posted:
another beautiful video. clap

i'm ordering scales of poi today.

thanks nick

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
been watching scales of poi dvd that i bought from you a few weeks ago. you make it look so easy, even in the first couple parts of theory 'spinning the poi' where you talk about different moves like bouncing to make the butterly and side to side, then move it around to the other side. no idea how you do that?

oh -buy this dvd, its great

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
i think scales of poi will have to be bought this week by myself. i keep meaning to get around to it. beautiful video there nick, and what a great name you got too.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I cant get either link to work frown .mov does nothing and youtube just wont load frown frown

Fueroaddict
465 posts

Posted:
Nice beautiful video...

Hmm, there's gotta be something round and shiny, I can play with

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
woooo! is all i say!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Glad it's appreciated biggrin

Motley: I'll get up divX versions in a week or so. Hopefully that will work. DivX is compatible with a lot of players... I just don't know how to export DivX files yet.

...and as for youtube. If anybody watches any of the videos via youtube. Remember to rate them and comment on them. Same goes for the photos on flickr. I would love to raise my photos and videos to the "most popular" sections of either.

Woots.

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
i will rate, you can use total video converter to convert to divX. I used to use something else but cant remember the name of it. If total video converter trial runs out, just set your date a year back to use it then change after! smile

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Nice vid & swell music.

Thanks

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
AWESOME vid man, i can't wait untill I can afford the scales of poi dvd, keep up the amazing work!
though does kinda leave me waiting for a staff vid called "when straight lines dream" full of anti-spin, transitions and isolationy goodness tongue

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
Gorgeous stuff biggrin Looking forward to seeing you at the EJC!

"Take that, math!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nicks coming to the ejc...., arrgh!!!

actually im gonna be a heratic and say i much prefered the old video, the on that was cut up and put on col 4

this one seems a bit like an advert, wheres the other gave you more tiome to apreciate the slick beuty of the spinning and had a contiuation to it that this one doesnt.

super slick spinning as always, and nice plane changing turning buterfly.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
And now I bring you... Bob and Hamen's Excellent Poi Documentary!

Bob and his brother came into the Poi Studio (RIP). This is where we got some of that beautiful glowstick spinning. Gives you an idea of what we were up to in there. smile

...Nx, you mean Dervishly Yers? Yes, there are ways I still prefer that one. There are also ways I like When Circles Dream more. The trouble was that I didn't really have a full performance to work with, so it was a collage of footage and photos, which I think is quite beautiful, but it would have been stronger had it been based around a particular dramatic performance.

Can I use this as an opportunity to express something? Not to you personally. Lots of people have told me that Dervishly Yers will always be their favorite Nick video... and lots of people have even put it in the words, "you will never make a better video that Dervishly Yers." Maybe I'm a little superstitious, but I feel like I have to work against all that phychic energy now. I think it's great that people liked that video, but why not... I dunno, believe in me? Otherwise it's like I've got my parents all over again, duplicated dozens of times, and sending me lots of emails. ubbloco

I'm totally digressing, aren't I?

More videos coming! ubbrollsmile

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Bob and Hamen's Excellent Poi Documentary

hug

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Whoops. Darnded technimology. You need a ^#$*(&# computer sinuses degree just to use HOP.

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

The trouble was that I didn't really have a full performance to work with, so it was a collage of footage and photos, which I think is quite beautiful, but it would have been stronger had it been based around a particular dramatic performance.

Yep, as nice as this collage of great fotos with the lovely trails is, a performance would have been nicer for the DVD, looking forward to the future ... should not be too tough for you to make, just grab your poi and a camera ?

oh, the words "never any better" shouldnt be easily used in poi world ...

As a suggestions, it might be easier for readers to find your new Videos if you always edit them in the OP ... as I guess this thread will get loooong ...

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
nick, can we clone you and bring you to the uk to set up a studio here?

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Well, you can certainly clone me. I've been wanting to do that for years. It would take three of me to do all the projects I take on bounce

I wouldn't suggest putting me in charge of setting up a studio though, or didn't you know that the Poi Studio went down in flames just before I did? ubbloco

...One of the reasons I'm coming over to Europe this summer is to see if it could be my home for a while. Now that I'm barred from the states I feel pretty isolated in Vancouver. It would be like living in Austria and being barred from all of Europe. So it might make sense for me to relocate to Europe. Otherwise I only really have Vancouver, and it's not an easy place to make a living as an artist.

So... yes, I'm kind of available. I could certianly contribute a big piece to a studio, but I'd rather be drug, naken and bleeding, through cold, vinegar soaked shards of glass before I have to try to run a studio all by myself again. ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

Whoops. Was that emotional? I'm feeling a little emotional today. I've been picking up the pieces ever since closing the studio, and some days I feel a little exhausted. Over all I'm seeing how I grew through those experiences, though, so at least it was good for my spiritual development.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
interesting mr bond! dare i ask why you are barred from the states? seems a little extreme.

Maybe its because youve helped infect my mind and probably many others with poi spinning and now i event take hop socks to work (and i work in an office!)

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
I was barred from the States for teaching poi workshops without a work visa. I happened in the middle of the poi studio year. I'd set up a big tour in the states in an attempt to get just enough ahead of the ball that I could invest some of my time into important and long term things... and I got nailed at the border. I was thus sent back to Canada, with nothing lined up, $2,400/month in combined expenses, etc.etc. At the time it was pretty harsh, and I just never recovered financially. That happened March 31. I closed the studio at the end of August. I was pretty misserable for a while, and also just very sleep deprived and suffering from long term stress and all that. I've been much happier lately. I owe the bank $10,000, and I Have no job to fall back on, so I'm still going for it, thinking that if just a few things happen right I'll be able to focus on practice again.

The lame thing about being behind the ball, financially, is that you end up having to focus on your immediate needs, rather than the things that are important in the long run. That's part of the reason that I still don't have a performance, or any music to use for performing, or a Demo DVD, or etc. All those things are important but they won't pay off by the end of the month.

...but I'm still making progress! It's nice now that I don't have the studio. It was too much pressure. I've finished the DVD, the beta-version of the website, cards... I'm getting through the list!!!

...oh, boy, but do I ever want a place to practice this winter. weavesmiley weavesmiley weavesmiley

If anybody knows where I can come and practice, please tell me. I need wood floors, high-ish ceilings, music, some mirrors on the wall, people to collaborate with, and access to a couple yoga classes.

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Nick, it's a wonderful video. I could watch you spin for hours and hours, I think.

Thanks for sharing. I remember seeing some of the footage when you were here in Calgary, and loved seeing part of the finished product.

I'm sorry to hear about the studio. Financial stress is not a fun thing to deal with, and I can relate, sadly.

Good luck to you. I'd say you could come spin here, but...well, we don't have a studio yet...one day, when I'm wealthy. lol

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
I like very much very pretty

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

jackyneoSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
nice video and the photo too..i learn alot from the dvd

esmokahSILVER Member
journeyman
75 posts

Posted:
i bet nick couldn't tangle his poi even if he tried. good stuff, keep giving us inspiration to practice more!

I've never seen a supernova blow up, but if it's anything like my old chevy nova it'll light up the night sky!

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Ok, the first of my much-anticipated tutorial videos: The Secret of Flowers: https://www.playpoi.com/secretofflowers
bounce2 bounce bounce clap clap

Did it work? Does it work? How do I make a hyperlink again? Dratted technology...

If this goes over well I'll keep making these. Fun, eh? This is footage from one of our first video shoots in the poi studio. It's not quite the production quality of the DVD, but somehow it's loveable, I think. It certainly gives you a good idea of how I approach poi, and it gives you an idea of the DVD as well, if you imagine this being taken to the next level of thought-through-ness and was an hour long. biggrin biggrin ubbloco ubbloco

Ok, enjoy, more videos coming...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
that was absolutely rocking nick hug

great work man smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ...