Page:
ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
This point is probably widely discussed but it occured to me today that the human race may never improve through evolution.

Evolution occurs through survival of the fittest as more efficient mutations in genes are passed on to the next generation but looking at today in no way does a person have to be fit or efficient in the world to reproduce and pass on genes. In this way many bad conditions are being passed on and are becoming so greatly abundant in populations that evolution is just taking a swing in the wrong direction.

How will the human race ever adapt to ever changing conditions if the dense population we have is ever increasing without the best genes being passed on?

If anyone has something to say on this I'd really appreciate it. Cheers, Chimney.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
No...

The human race has evolved to such a degree that we will eventually destroy ourselves and hopefully rid the planet of this pandemic.

Tea anyone?

The way I see it is that maybe nature has intended for mental ability to be pinnicle of evolution instead of physical. Thinking about it, humans have only been on the earth for a blink of an eyelid in the face of the entire history of the earth. So our extinction due to our own success isn't that dissimilar to the possible fate of the previous superpredators who were so successful at hunting and killing that there was nothing left to sustain them in the food chain below them...

The difference being that as well as altering the food chain irrecoverably (sp) we have also changed the natural environment of the entire planet which will be ill-equipped to sustain us in a mere few generations...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
Indeed it is very similar and yes we have become a plague on this planet. This is a fair point but do you not feel there could be a much better physical evolution available to us? Transhumanists are already working on this through manipulation of the genome. It may not be natural but it sure will be be an evolvd form of a human.

I'm not saying we'll become big people with ink sacs or X-men but the smallest change could boost our abilities to survive on Earth.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
There's 9 billion of us here already, I'm not sure we need the help to survive.

By the way, evolution just means to change, so it's not necessarily by natural selection.
Darwin didn't discover evolution, he just found a mechanism to explain how it happens in nature.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
It could be argued that our ability to manipulate our own genes CAN be a form of evolution it is not based on the natural theory of evolution in that physical characteristics (via mutation) can help us survive in our environment. As you said, we no longer need advanced physical characteristics to survive. The extent of that probably only stretches as far as someone's physical appearance making them in other people's eyes attractive ("I WANT YOUR BABIES!!!")

And even if someone was born with apendages that would allow them greater physicality and survival, we'd probably put them in a freakshow or perform an amputation to make them look 'more normal'....

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Don't quote me, but i heard that most species have a lifetime of X on the planet before they die out. And Humans have gone way far past this time.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
There has been talk of an 'extinction gene' within humanity which will gradually switch off the reproductive abilities of certain species if it feels that it not evolved enough to carry on breeding...

Due to my spotty memory I am unsure whetehr I read this in a science column or in the pages of an 'X-Men' comic... Either way it doesn't sound too implausible...

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
True, the Xtinction gene could easily be there. When mapping the human genome they found lots of introns and exons, one of these is the genes that are actually used by the human to make it what it is, but there is lots of other genes that can not be explained and are so called 'selfish DNA' as it is there for no known reason but to replicate itself.

The selfish DNA may be carry the Xtinction gene you talk about or may be there for use in evolving the human form. I'm not too clued up on this but it sounds like a mechanism for evolution or extinction.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Don't quote me, but i heard that most species have a lifetime of X on the planet before they die out. And Humans have gone way far past this time.

ditto

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

LarrySILVER Member
Electro Ponce!
383 posts

Posted:
i think that might have been in x-men!
we won't physically evolve anymore, evolution is all about that "survival of the fittest" malarchy. since we stopped allowing our weak and sick to actually die we stopped evolving.
see, everything is the NHS's fault!!

What're you looking at?
I assume you're being rhetorical?
What're you callin' me!?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Yes, we are still evolving. For example, if there was a gene that stopped contraception working, or that stopped someone from using it, they might have more kids, that in turn might have the same gene and therefore have more kids etc etc. There might be a point where this gene became so prevalent that it would become part of what normal humans were rather than a sub-species.

Maybe that example isn’t the best, seeing as we would change contraception methods quicker than the trait could evolve. However, all that is needed is something that makes us better at reproducing, and that could be anything from being able to get a job or become rich, or be attractive to the opposite sex etc etc. Peacocks tails might have got longer because the son of a peacock with a long tail will have one, but the daughter will also like them more, in other words, the gene for liking long tails could go hand in hand with the gene for having a big tail, so you can get a rapid change in tail length just because only the birds with long tails bread. I am sure that things like this go on with humans all the time, but maybe on a more subtle scale.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

3,556 posts

Posted:
we are evolving because we are adapting to certain illnesses in our environment...
for example, my family from my dad's side are all immune to chicken pox, but we don't have the antibodies, we just don't get it...much of my time was spent trying to get when I was in grade school-the only thing I didn't do was kiss someone with it. Doctors don't know why, one proposed that we do not have receptors on our cells or whatever to recieve it...
evolution baby

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
WOW, good on you. I still remember that hellish week when I was little. Son, your going to a sleepover-YAY- then two of the folk had camoline lotion all over them and we just thought it was odd. Everyone left with chickenpox and it appeared in a few days. Itchy hell. I wish I was immune.

I am happy that I don't have any genes or none I know of that cause me any form of allery. One thing I do have is an odd chest with a condition called pecus carinatum which is also called pigeon chest. Do you think this means my family could turn into bird people eventually like the guy on Xmen 3!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

I have seen models of future human evolution suggesting that the next species of Homo will have a big head (fer thinkin'), dark skin (from the ozone hole), a willowy body (??), less body hair (based on past trends), and no wisdom teeth or little toes (based on perceived uselessness?).

(https://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/dec2000/976910545.Ev.r.html)

2 of my teeth are completely missing. Yay me and being mega-evolved!!

EDITED_BY: Birgit (1150207989)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
Birgit, I know a girl with extra teeth alot like carnasials behind her first and second molars. She seems to be going the other way.
I'm convinced now that humans are still evolving physically and mentally.

3,556 posts

Posted:
so we are going to look like those roswell aliens

Faith

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
The reality is, we probably will.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
The OP is right. Evolution is a process of natural selection. Now certain mutants can't reproduce (cystic fibrosis) and some are so sick they die in infancy, but the majority of previously selected-against traits, including a pelvis that's too small to accomodate a baby, are now non-issues.

We've changed our own genes and our own structure and we continue to do so. It calls into question our fear of genetic engineering. Perhaps we should be repairing our own damage?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
Fear of genetic engineering, I don't understand why people are afraid of this as it is like you say helping to repair or improve.

Is it Duchennes Muscular Dytrophy that now is present in about 1 in 15 Scottish people or is that cycstic fibrosis? These are surely important genetic mutations we wish to remove.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I just need wings and gills and i'll be happy smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
If only someday humans can genetically engineer a human who can fly with the birds, and swim deep in the sea with the fish.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

There has been talk of an 'extinction gene' within humanity which will gradually switch off the reproductive abilities of certain species if it feels that it not evolved enough to carry on breeding...

Due to my spotty memory I am unsure whetehr I read this in a science column or in the pages of an 'X-Men' comic... Either way it doesn't sound too implausible...

Bring it on LOL, like we'd care wink

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
I read somewhere that the amount of oestrogen in our water supply, from the contraceptive pill, is having a damaging effect on men.

Would it be safe to say that men are evolving towards the femanine?

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
That is incredibly scary and worrying and most likely true. Stop puting oestrogen in the water supply people!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
*shhush!!!*

I can't put my make-up on with this racket!

daizeSILVER Member
175 posts

Posted:
haha. wink :P

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

X-men. Because it sure ain't science.

The world simply isn't that well-designed.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Penguin SvenSILVER Member
185 posts

Posted:
I like wear I am now, the size of my head, my pinky toes and the colour of my skin. not that looking like an alien wouldn't be extremly cool.

Hug from a complete stranger any one?

"glow bugs, to slow to resist eating, to bitter to eat more than one handfull in a sitting" toothpaste for dinner

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: daize

I read somewhere that the amount of oestrogen in our water supply, from the contraceptive pill, is having a damaging effect on men.

Would it be safe to say that men are evolving towards the femanine?

erm, does anyone else think this sounds like utter rubbish? It's like Homeopathy, but more dilute!

Oh, actually, I've just found some almost believable sounding web sites about it...

https://www.ulster.ac.uk/news/releases/1999/112.html

https://www.freshwateruk.com/isthereoestrogeninourwater.html

mmm, I'm still not sure though. Anyone know anything about this?

EDITED_BY: Sym (1150283317)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
No, no, it's true that there are effects on men. Like more and more men go for "breast reductions" because they have more breast tissue, and the number of cases of male breast cancer is rising, too. For women, the average bra size has gone up, apparently pretty much for the same reasons.

But that's not evolution. Evolution would be if lots of men would die of the breast cancer, and only the ones less affected by the estrogens would survive and breed (= quite unlikely). What's happening is more like, if you take an aspirin, it has an effect on you, but you're not evolving towards not getting headaches anymore smile If that makes sense.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Oh, right, thanks smile

I know it wasn't evolution, but at first I didn't think we could actually put enough oestrogen in to the water supply to actually make a difference...

Page: