Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term exam paper:

"Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat), or endothermic(absorbs heat)? Support your answer with a proof." Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant thereof.One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since, there are more than one of these religions, and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell.

With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell, because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities:If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it?

If we accept the postulate given to me by Ms. Krissy Jones during my Freshman year that "it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then (2) cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic.

This student got the only A.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
Well he did give a very good proof of his theory...

This would be mine:

Hell doesn't exist, therefore it is neither

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
You would fail because instead of doing what you were asked and answering a HYPOTHETICAL question you decided to be 'smart'.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Hypothetically, though...I love that little essay (though i doubt it warranted an A)...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
I also believed that an answer like that didn't warrent getting an A. Altho it was a very amusing answer for a question like that. I know that if I was to answer a test question like that I would so totally get a bad grade on it. Unless I was making a good grade in the class before I took the exam, and if I wanted to goof on it that it wouldn't keep me from passing the class, then I might consider being alil funny on one of the questions.

Have any of yall ever answered either a test or homework question with some silly answer just to be funny?

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I haven't answered a test question in a silly way other than sometimes I will throw in a little joke while making the answer correct. For example, on a physics test, I drew a bracket around a rather nightmarish sequence of algebraic manipulations and wrote "AKA: 'then a miracle happens..'" I got a smiley face next to it and full credit on the problem.

A friend of mine was out of time on a chem test. The question was how to synthesize a certain compound from another compound. He answered "put it in a vial and shake some chicken bones at it." The TA wrote "Close!" on the test and gave him one point (a sympathy point).

When I was a TA, a student answered a question on the prokaryote molecular genetics final (something about how one might go about determining whether some gene is involved in some process) with "Give the problem to a grad student and let him/her solve it!" I gave him a sympathy point for that, too. I justified it because it was the very experimental question I was working on at the time and I was a grad student...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura