Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I couldn't believe the lack of gardening threads that came up when I did a search! So here comes a gardening tips thread!

My house has a little courtyard with a little garden, and for ages I have been meaning to get into it and make it into something that isn't just overrun with weeds. I realise that the first (and huge step!) is to get rid of the weeds, but unless I have a plan, I don't think I will even get that far!

I want to have a little herb garden and maybe a strawberry patch. But also some nice colourful things that require minimal attention and aren't expensive to buy. (Thinking of getting some wormwood after seeing on a tv show that it can survive on rainwater, plus it sounds hardcore to say "i have wormwod in my garden" wink )

Any ideas? Tips? Typs of herbs? Anyone else have gardening problems to share?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
.....just dont?

i feel sorry of the weeds, its not their fault they're so good at growing. i say let the strongest survive! biggrin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Don't use a big tub of weed killer!
My mum and my step dad are doing our little garden up at the momant. It was overrun with bramble and weeds. They did half of the job with a hand sythe, then got bored, and went out and bought a big spray tub of weed killer (the type you strap on your back :eep:) and have sprayed the whole garden with the stuff frown
It's killed all the weed's and plants, and they're still going to have to sythe all the dead stuff away.
They migth as well have done the job with the sythe in the first place, wthout killing lots of insects and things and putting nasty chemicals in the ground frown

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
any questions, pm Sunbird, he's a trained gardener (though he's not good with houseplants tongue)

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Herbs are definately the way to go- they are cheap, can be very colourful, and the insects love them. Most of them require mininimal attention as well, and will be happy to grow in pots. Depending on the weather where you live it should be easy to find some that suit you. Can I also recommend Alpine Strawberries? (also called Wild Strawberries or Fraise du Bois). Once you pop these in you can leave them to it, and they will self seed themselves around your patch- even in cracks in walls and paths. The fruits are small, but highly flavoured, and a good plant will produce loads.

As for the weeds, that just takes time. What season is it where you are? It would make sense to do some clearing while they are not growing so hard, and then when things start to warm up you can pull them up as and when they appear. If you do have to resort to weedkiller then look for a glyphosate one. It only affects the weed you spray it onto and biodegrades away afterwards.

I have produced a garden and an allotment from scratch- it is hard but worth it!

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

DrBooBRONZE Member
I invented the decaffinated coffee table.
453 posts

Posted:
Strawberries aren't too difficult to grow, and some herbs - but corriander isn't too easy. Courgettes are pretty rewarding too - but they grow very fast once they get going.
Peppers and chillis are fun to grow, I had lots of success with chillis one year. Same with tomatoes.
As for colour. This time of year it's ideal to plant bizzy lizzies. So my mum says. Can't say I've bothered.
Sweet peas aren't peas. They're not even much of a flower. What is the point of them?

Boo x

I intend to live forever - so far, so good.

If it costs "a penny for your thoughts", but people give you their "two-pence worth", who is getting the extra penny?

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
When I've done landscaping, I try to find plants that are somewhat native...
There is less need to take care of them, and with all the manicured gardens out there, it is a nice contrast...
of course, i like my roses carnations and daisies

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Rouge, biggrin great idea miss! hug
I reccommend Basil- my mum grows hers on a window sill, and its great for just picking bits off to put in dinner.
Also for your garden how about a rockery? you could have tyme, parsley? it'd be really lovely I think biggrin
Remember to show us pics biggrin *excited*
ooh, how about a fairy garden?!! bounce

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey rougie, are those plants your mum gave u still in that plastic bag on your front step. cos if they are, ive got a good tip

wink

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
My grandad rakes uneaten beans, fruit, veg and nutrient rich decomposable food from meals into his growing patch in the garden. Be warned, neighbours may accuse you of attracting vermin but it works and if you rake it in properly few rodents will appear.

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Chimney

My grandad rakes uneaten beans, fruit, veg and nutrient rich decomposable food from meals into his growing patch in the garden. Be warned, neighbours may accuse you of attracting vermin but it works and if you rake it in properly few rodents will appear.

Or you could compost it in a bin first- most you can buy are either rodent proof already, or can be made so smile

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Hopwe none of you Birts are gardening. There's a water ban don'tcha know.

Oh yes. Three people have already drowned in this leathal drought.

umm

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ChimneyBRONZE Member
85 posts

Posted:
There is no waterban in Scotland I know of. We have enough water this year. I have had many a waterfight and hosed the garden alot. I also have a few waterbuts on the go but not much is being collected.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

I couldn't believe the lack of gardening threads that came up when I did a search! So here comes a gardening tips thread!

eek

I know - it's downright wrong...

anyhooo... ubblol

vietnamese mint is a good one for the herb garden - can be grown from a cutting from another plant and they take no looking after at all.

Fertilise regularly in the growing season and water maybe once a week - 2 weeks in winter... ubbrollsmile