Forums > Social Chat > never practice poi inside

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
yes, trust me on that one, i've just broken a oriental looking ceramic plate... and i'm really stressed trying to put it together before my parents notice, it's broken in 3 pieces and it won't assemble right AND i cut myself a bit with it and noticed it when i felt my fingers start to get sticky and i looked at the back of the plate and had to start cleaning the blood that was semared all over it... i don't like these moments when everything starts going wrong at the same time...
it's the typical thing you think won't happen, until it does...
well, at least they weren't lit

what are the worst things you've broken, burnt or destroyed in any way by practicing in places you just knew you shouldn't?? just curious, i need to know that i'm not the only "butter-fingers" out there...

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Ah yes, mass indoor destruction. Well, *looks at walls*, there's those. Kind of kniked and marked up that off white paint quite a bit. *looks at woodwork on bed, dresser, and doors* Oh yeah, chiped and marked up those as well. *notices little buddha with one hand* Him? I don't think me hitting him with my chains broke his arm off, if I'm correct it was his collision with the wall after he got smacked.

Yeah, poi indoors is bad, especially in a brand new dorm room. If I had another place I'd be there in a minute, but no luck.

And I wouldn't try to hide the plate, I mean eventually they'll figure it out. Practice is a less risky place next time

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
i smashed a large handing ceiling light in the house i rent with other students. I didn't hit it particularly hard but it shattered in mid air and glass fell down all around me. I actually found the whole experience quite amusing and couldn't help laugh, but my housemates weren't as happy.

Now I have the task of finding an identical light to replace it with before the next house inspection by the landlord!

Magickal_Kaleidoscopemember
119 posts

Posted:
ive only broken a light but it was still fun.
dont practice in new clothes or u get sooty stuff on them and it happens to walls as well

sMythmember
10 posts

Posted:
SaBBaS, hey i looked at your profile and since you eat fire i'm sure you can relate. i was eating fire while being filmed. i snuffed and held the smoke and fumes to relite. i had too much fuel on my lips and the flame ignited before it usually does and my head wasn't tilted back enough. let's just say i have shorter eye lashes then i did before. i didn't get burnt but it gave me a good shock.

sMyth

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
hey smith
well, i know exactly what you mean... i had a very simmilar but slightly different experience: i was eating fire for one of the first times and i wanted to show my mum that it doesn't have to be as dangerous as it looks like, but then murphy came and recited his law... i was using paraffin oil, and my mouth was full of smoke, but when i took the torch out it re-ignited (don't ask me how ) and as the smoke came aout of my mouth, it ignited from the torch, sending a flame RIGHT up my NOSE! i can tell you that it is NOT nice, everything smells like chicken wings for some time after that, but of course, as my mom was watching, i had to act like nothing had happened

jello, my room and some of the rest of the house have the same scars , specially since i've started a bit with staff now... by the way, i was doing staff when it happened, it just glided through my fingers and flew right into the thing...
and i don't really wanna HIDE the problem, i just want to... disguise it , so maybe they notice a bit later, for example when i'm living with my girlfriend, who by then will be my wife, and have given them some grandchildren to have fun with... or something like that

Don't you destroy your enemy by making him your friend?? - Rev Bem (Magog), Andromeda

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
May I add to this:

Don't practice staff inside!
Don't do kendo inside!
Don't fence inside!
Don't do cartwheels inside!

'Course just because I do all these things doesn't mean you should. My girlfriend almost broke her fish tank (don't worry Bram, it was empty) practicing staff in her room.

And for goddesses sake don't light your wicks inside!

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

Mistress AuroraHot Schtuff
1,032 posts

Posted:
Santanatwo said 'big glass cover on an overhead light fixture and it fell on his head in pieces.'

Dio said just refer to his 'Somehow looks wrong' thread.

I didn't really xperience breaking objects BUT I did smack myself in the eye with the chain of one of my poi. It made my eye swell alil and left a darkened area at the top of my vision for a few days. Luckily it didn't damage my vision more than it already was. I had just taken my glasses off so I wouldn't break them...Glad I did because I might have gotten glass in my eye and then I'd prolly not be able to do poi or anything else I enjoyed using my vision.

RISK: Do not follow the common path; Go where there is no path and leave a trail.

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
left out the part about jedi reflexes made me duck just as the massive glass shards made contact, so it didn't cut me (sort of matched velocity) and they were BIG i tell you. A one foot square glass cover broke into about four triangular main pieces and a hundred tiny splinters.

not an experience I would like to repeat.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

Kinudin (Soul Fyre)veteran
1,325 posts

Posted:
Of course, santanatwo... I'd like to mention your (I think it's yours) contact staff video that is completely indoors... although it's cleared of anything breakable inside

FireSpiritSILVER Member
Classic 90's Fire Dancer... Poi, Staff, Doubles, and Breathing
743 posts

Posted:
There has been some funny threads lately, I like your story Smyth, and yours SaBBaS.
This kind-a goes with;
Don't give Flamming Poi to drunk croud folk.
Once when I first started spinning fire, someone in the croud wanted to play with the poi, so I handed him one. He spunn it as fast as he could then let it go! ! The flamming poi shot like a commit into a near by Dead Pine Tree, close to my house!! !! it went up like a match!
Thank God I had a hose near by, and douced the trees on fire with lots of water, it was nearly way out of control. Its a good thing it had been rainning, and the sourounding trees where alive and well. It was only the dead tree that caught and burnt the top of the tree.
My mother never knew, because I cut down the dead tree and burnt it at another HS party we had. It would have been a disaster if we had burnt down the house!
Stupid Rookie Move!!!

Never let people use your poi, onless they can proove to you that they can spinn!!!

~Fire Spirit

FIRE IS ALIVE!
IT LIVES AND BREATHS!
IT CONSUMES, AND DISTROYS!
BUT WE CONTROL IT,
AND DANCE WITH FIRE!!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
Actually I specificaly finished that room (it used to be a porch) with the specific intention of twirling in it. High ceiling and all. With that said, the light fixtures are located high up on the walls, and away from that end of the room (need I say more?) and the windows have curtains. And I don't have a whole lot of breakables in my room. (besides windows ) Well, contact staf isn't to safe indoors though, I almost sent that staff through the wall a few times.

And I have noticed the tendancy for people who cannot spin, to spin VERY FAST! DANGER!!!

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
I also broke the glass shade on a ceiling fan. Was practicing staff and I was confident enough with my current inventory of moves to do them indoors. The problem is I got caught up in the spinning and decided to try some new stuff and forgot where I was.

Nailed the lamp shade and tons of glass shards came down, one made a big gash in my arm and I also cut my foot.

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Hey your like my doppleganger or something .

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
I actually got real lucky once when I almost knocked a girl's eye out with a glowstick who was dancing behind me.

This was before my HOP days and before I learned how to be more aware of those around me.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i actually cut open my gurls eye with my aerotechs not so ong back, nasty cut and big blue/blach shading and one big ass lump to top it off, wil teach me not to practice over head moves with her behind me, or teach her not to stand so close as she has a habit for that.

cuddles and kisses solved that.

Evil Biscuitmember
59 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by BlAcKSTaR:
ive only broken a light but it was still fun.

THEY EXPLODE!!!!!!

There is no right and wrong... only fun and boring

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
I've exploded more lightbulbs than I can count, I've ruined fantastic houseplants, I've broken many items of crockery, sent numerous drinks flying all over the room, smacked the dogs and the cats, broken ornaments and bust up several lampshades. Do I learn from my mistakes? No. I just carry on regardless. However, for me it is ok because I live in my own house so there's no one to get angry with me about it.

Also I never get mad a SNOOPoi if she breaks stuff swinging her poi.

Are we nearly there yet?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Thistle:

Also I never get mad a SNOOPoi if she breaks stuff swinging her poi.

i'd be telling her to tighten up those planes.

just kidding

The_Pirate_Dyke_BoyHOP Lord of the Pirate Admiralty
1,079 posts

Posted:
IM CLEVER!!! i use beanbag poi indoors! they dont destroy everthing, but i did hit the cat once... she didnt speak to me for a week, and stays away from the poi now.
Oh well. But poi indoors is generally very silly, i can never get enuf ceiling height

D.B.
X x X x X

Ship off the starboard! sound general quarters! noise and light discipline! man the cannons! GET ME THE RUM!

Master of the Free Hug Program

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
aww poor kitty

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I find indoor poi very frustrating, due to the fact that I've no room to move around. Doing poi in a tiny littel area may be great for learning control, but it sucks to have to stand in one little spot all the time.

Don't worry, be happy...

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
hey thistle, i've noticed the same thing... i don't learn out of my mistakes either! i just see my staff and it TELLS me to take it!! REALLY! and i can't let it down, we've just been friends (even though IT'S been braking things around my house) for such a short time, i don't want to let him down... but now i'm extra careful to just spin VERY slowly, and just get an little bit of speed
however, i do have people around me who will get very mad when they notice...

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Sheffield Skirt Consortium:
i'd be telling her to tighten up those planes.

just kidding

Good job you're kidding PK , You should try telling SNOOPoi to do anything

SaBBas, how bad did you get into trouble with your parents for breaking the light? Not too bad I hope.

Are we nearly there yet?

SaBBaSenthusiast
215 posts

Posted:
they aren't here.... yet. they'll be coming back on saturday. btw it wasn't a light, it was an oriental looking porcellain plate...
but no, no trouble yet, but i guess there will be some...

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I have made some poi to practise indoors.
I just got a pair of long socks, tied a knot in each end. They're light, but have enough weight to spin nicely. And if it hits things they usually dont break stuff...well i've never broken anything!

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SpiralOolering Man
729 posts

Posted:
If I had a pound for every time.... never mind. Whitters broke the lightbulb in my room three times in five minutes, If juggling counts too, he's also broken 2 of my favourite pint glasses. We have gone through three lampshades in our lounge in 6 months...... maybe spinning inside isn't such a good Idea

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I love playing inside - even if it means replacing lampshades regularly and halfing half heart attacks as clubs go flying across the room aiming for the most precious item they can find

I reckon it helps learn control in confined spaces, like aster said above....

[ 31. January 2003, 15:15: Message edited by: Ade ]

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Oh i actually just remembered i have broken something! A light! It was the lampshade thing on the ceiling. It was one of three! I blaimed it on the door slamming shut.
We couldn't find anouther one to match the others, so had to buy a whole new set of three! I just dont practise in that area of the flat anymore!

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I've broken enough lightbulbs....they always seem to go REALLY bright for about an hour then pop!...if I don't smash it in one...

I used to practice around the house though, using the house as an obstical course...it can actually be quite fun, especially if you've got a lot of stairs! give it a try...set the challenge!
how many vastly expensive things can you NOT hit when you try not to?!

I had some very long afternoons y'see.....

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
After this thread, I think I am going to start a company that makes unbreakable light bulbs... I'll make a fortune selling to twirlers

Page: