misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Every time I get out of my car and touch the door to shut it, I get an electric shock. I wouldn't mind but they hurt! Anyone have any ideas of how I can stop it happening??

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
use some laundry softner sheets on your seat maybe...

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
yes smile

put your hand on the door BEFORE getting out. Keep it on the door when getting out. That way, when your foot touches the ground, you're already connecting to the car and earthing it, and you won't feel it!

Advice from my driving school teacher that is automatic behaviour for me now, and I haven't had a shock off the car in 8 years biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Oh that's fab Birgit, thanks. I thought would must know a trick to stop it smile

XLenX

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Firstly its a charge that you have built up in your own body most likely by walking around, its unlikely to be your car, as you walk around your body builds up a charge by frictionfrom your shoesor dclothes on your body, that charge needs to be released and so when you come into contact with your car it is released ina static shock which hurts, it hurts more with tips of your fingers, so if you cant ways to stop the charge, release it ina less painful way. try touching your car with the back of your hand first, taht'll hurt less. Have you recently changed shoes? some soles on shoes build up charge easier, or changed the carpet in your house?

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
len.............. you can get strips to fit t your car that earth it so you don't get static shocks, sounds like you have a bad earth on your car and possibly a loose wire

pay a visit to halfords, or stop playing with your toaster in the bath ubblol

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Buy better shoes...with leather soles... But Birgits idea sound sthe best...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Dont use you breast to discharge it wink

You can get those little rubber strips that hang down for your car. Grab the car firmly is less painful too.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you tried running from the car as quickly as possible when getting out?

umm

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
It has to be me rather than the car- it happened with my last two cars as well. No new carpets/shoes. Do you think it has anything to do with the weather?

Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Have you tried running from the car as quickly as possible when getting out?

umm

And I would shut/lock the door + get the kids out........with a long stick? You may have a solution there Ucof wink

XLenX

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
*imagines batting the kids out of the car with a stick*

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MissCorinthian

And I would shut/lock the door + get the kids out

With remote control central locking and a megaphone biggrin

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Aah- but you are (wrongly) assuming my lovely children do as they're told. I have a built in megaphone anyway, or so I'm told. A stick would work better. A nice pointy one.

Well, I have been forgetting to keep my hand on the door today, but no shocks confused

XLenX

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well, the car has figured out that you have IT figured out so it's decided to be nice because it can't win anyways.

That is until it turns into this car from the horror stories that bites your leg while you're driving and uses your blood as fuel. Electric shocks were just the testing phase! Bwahahahahaha!

redface got carried away there, sorry! I need to go out more.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Get a bicycle biggrin

No, sorry. I always get shocks in cold weather and not just off cars. Gates, people, the television it's just horrible. I'm just full of energy, that's how I see it devil

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
shocking

old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Yes how very. I get them from shopping trolleys as well...but only in Sainsbury's confused Good job I rarely go in there.

XLenX

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
i get shocks off Sainsbury's shopping trolleys too, but rarely Tesco's ones. Hmm, that is odd.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
after a while they dont hurt anymore. i used to work in a shop where the shop had airconditioning and the centre it was in had aircon, so the air was completely dry and they had the brilliant idea to put metal handrails on the stairs, and i was the poor guy who had to work upstairs, so every day at least 5 times a day i'd get a mean shock, i got to kinda like it and would do it on purpose in the end, i also got sad when people stole my shocks

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Köln/Bonn-Airport is the worst. They've got this metal floor, it's just unreal! Especially touching the button for the elevator is like medieval punishment, but with electricity wink Well, at least the floor looks nice! tongue

(G.W. Dahlquist)