Forums > Social Discussion > Media Spin, stupidity and regulations

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay...so...

A few days ago a laptop was stolen from an official at a V.A. hospital here in the U.S.
On it was the personal information of millions of active and inactive soldiers since 1975 (or so). Contact information, social security #'s, family contact information.

Which leads me to question number one.
Do you think that any official information should be stored on something so incredibly portable and easy to steal?
I don't. In my opinion it's why desk tops still exsist..and need to.
At least the official is accepting full responsibility for this.

However, now the officials are using the media to report that this theft is part of a ring of thefts in the area where things like laptops are being stolen, everything on them erased and then they are being resold to college students. They have even gone so far as to say they have apprehended some suspects who admit to doing this..so don't worry anyone.

Now...how frelling stupid do they think we are? Puh-leez. No media reported to lock down the computers because of thefts until that point, so this sudden reporting is just beyond idiotic.

Not only that but to believe that a newscast, a cold, stoic 30 second long newscast is going to quell the anger at the irresponsibility of this and the fear of identity theft is beyond inane.

Okay....that's all for that rant. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Out of all the propaganda and spin forced on us every day by the media, you picked up on a laptop?

Nothing about the spin put on Zarqawi? Iran?

That being said, laptop security is normally very low. It's the same as USB drive security for desktops. On my first day as a temp at my local Council (it's a large one) I was allowed access to the environment and planning database listing where all the rodent infested food establishments were for 10 miles as well as other info like problem neighbours etc etc. I could have downloaded the whole lot on to my iPod on my first day. I didn't even have to sign an NDA or and contract saying I wouldn't - even after I told them that I could!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

ZeroGSILVER Member
Friendly Fire Fiddler
103 posts

Posted:
Hmm, I rather think that those high ranking officials who sit on such precious data should be told how to use encryptive software to protect the access or be put in charge of the graveyard department.

laptops are stolen out of offices, servers are hacked ... its brave new world.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Sym, I can see how people will buy into international media spins pretty easily actually. There is very little basis for comparison and even smaller motivation to really investigate the truth for self.

However, when it is more localized and blatantly "We think you are stupid, so here, believe this." then I do not understand it and more over do not understand why more people watch/buy the crap that reports it. I heard about it on the radio and researched it myself.

It wasn't so much that the info was on the laptop..but that they used a laptop...and then the media were told to report that drivel. The entire situation...not bits and pieces.

Pele

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
ah, I see smile

Take a look at this, for an example of that happning here:
[Old link]

The local rag still has a poll on the home page, asking people what they think - even though they made the whole thing up!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Out of all the propaganda and spin forced on us every day by the media, you picked up on a laptop?

ubblol

Don't you know Pele by now? The worst thing in the world is the last thing to have pissed her off.

wink hug

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I didn't say it was the worst thing in the world, and it didn't piss me off. It's not worth the energy getting mad over for me.

However, I found it interesting and thought it might spark a discussion.

Which brings me to...NYC, are you actually going to discuss the topic or just pretend that this is the chat section and post useless stuff as usual? wink

Sym..have they been called out publically on it? That so sucks and I hate media for it. Was it a reputable rag before this?

Though I will say that here (at least) if the fire or ambulance are dispatched to your place for an emergency...they do charge you. I was shocked to receive a bill when the fire trucks had to put out my house. So much for my tax dollars at work.

Pele

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

Was it a reputable rag before this?

Not at all, but I was amazed that they could be this bad! It took me 5 minutes to find the doc they were talking about, and another 5 to find out they were talking BS! ubbloco ubblol

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I think it’s surprising that all the information was stored on a lab top. In my experience, most lab tops are connected to local area network where the information is stored on the server. The server being protected by passwords etc.

Perhaps i's time they updated.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Spanner.... confused2
I really want a graemlin for DOH!*slapping forehead*...but I'm too lazy to find it.

So yeah, exactly, something like two pieces of paper! rolleyes

Pele

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Stone

I think it’s surprising that all the information was stored on a lab top. In my experience, most lab tops are connected to local area network where the information is stored on the server. The server being protected by passwords etc.

Perhaps i's time they updated.

I don't find it surprising at all. I've worked in IT for 5 years and the stupidity of end users has ceased to surprise me. I expect what happened is that the information is supposed to be kept on a nice server with passwords and firewalls and all sorts of security... but this dork went "hey, i'm gonna put this all in a word document on my hard drive so i can work with it more easily".

I think corporate machines should have security on them so you cant save stuff to the hard drive. Because not only can they get stolen, but if there's vital information on there, and it's not anywhere else, it's not getting backed up, then if mr or ms end user go and accidentally delete it, or the hard drive fails that info's gone...

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
computers + any form of government = long long long long long time before good results

(at least in my estimation)

it seems coucils will happily computerise things but at the biggest discount possible - and then keep upgrading it and redoing it until 10 years later several 100 chicken -ups later and about 100 times the most expensive original cost they have a system that works but is so badly out of date it needs reforming - and so it starts again.......

back