Forums > Help! > spherculism.(net/com), anyone know what happened to it?

Login/Join to Participate

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Tried going to spherculism today and was greeted with a domain parked greeting frown...

Another fine domain lost? I hope not.

Curious,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
dont know about spherc, but pips online for testing till it gets its own server in the next few weeks, so at least one makes a return!.

i hope matt can sort out his wooes with spherc.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
I'm definitely glad about PIP! It died before I had a chance to check it out.. I was sad when I tried to go there and it was lost.
Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
woohoo! *does the PiP's coming back dance*

Spherc is indeed down frown

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Indeed- I hope this isn't another case of a lost domain- I haven't heard anything about this from matt so it is a bit of a mystery shrug

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Yeah no worries, just had to take it off that old server, will be up on the new server asap.

Oh yeah, and it will be loads better, quicker, excellent gallery and so on.

matt

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Sweet.. thanks for givin the headsup, oh wibbling one.

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
So i've put the dvd promo page up as the index page on www.spherculism.net

So you can flick thru 100 or so screen grab images from the dvd and watch the trailer.

That's on the new server, so we're half way there.

enjoy,

matt

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Phew! Thats a relief!- you do like to us Spherculists on our toes wink
EDITED_BY: Mr_Chutney (1149851507)

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
All done, well apart from tidying up but that will have to wait.

Just watched the beta dvd the whole way thru, you're gonna love it.

m

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
ack.. the one thing I was hoping for is not to be found frown. Is (will be) the wiki still there, or has it been removed?

The spherc wiki was the best source for poi terminology I'd found thus far.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
true, the poidia rocked.

It was even better than poibot. For a start, it knew what antispin was wink

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
haha, don't think anti spin existed when i coded poibot :P The hands and poi couldn't have separate patterns, but it would be easy enough to add that code in.

Poibot 2 will kick ass. But the code is such a mess i need to rewrite it all.

The wiki will be back up there at some point. My priority right now is finishing the dvd. But you can find all the poidia terms in the encyclopoidia forum on sphism, that's where we discussed all the terms before putting them in the wiki, makes for more interesting reading too cos you get to see everyones perspective on each term and a kind of history to it all.

I'm just totally stoked i had a recent backup of the database smile

m

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
If anyone is interested, I've made a gresemonkey script that makes the text more readable to me smile

File
EDITED_BY: Sym (1150278424)

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
hmm, that link doesn't work

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
oops, post edited

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
haha, well each to their own sym, you designed any nice websites recently sym? Other than play of course wink

Actually there's already a lite version of the theme for mobile users.

If you wanna do something helpful you can come up with a fresh brand identity for sphism if you like sym, i'll happily pay money if you can deliver the goods.

With all my time being spent on the dvd i have sparse little to spend on the branding.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I've worked on lots of sites in the past, yes. I use this along side my makehoplooknice.user.js that I posted about in the hop redesign thread and lots of other web sites that I like to read but find hard.

I am dyslexic, so reading is harder for me than some other people. Background images make the text almost impossible for me to read, and static ones are even worst. The default text size is a little too small as well. If the site used CSS for layout and design then I just disable it and view the text only verson, but spherc isn't, so I was forced to remove a few bits and tweek it. I thought I'd share it so that other people in my position who might be less technical could use it.

You seem a little hostile, I hope I haven't offended you...

hug

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
No no, not offended, just would have been nice to hear the explanation along with the code. Just getting 'makespherclooknice' alongside background:none implies my background isn't nice

I've just had the most hellish of weeks. Last week of dvd project before girlfriend arrives for holiday. Spherculism gets deleted. work almost non stop for 2 days to get spherc back in a basic form, ie reinstall phpnuke which i hate cos new site not quite ready (i'm sure you appreciate my dislike for nuke) quickly switch to the slightly newer theme (which is slightly lighter than the old one btw) Redo the 10 hours work i'd done in the week which got deleted. Meanwhile render off the dvd for about 20 hours or so (so all the time my computer is running like poo whilst fixing site cos it's rendering 90 minutes of heavily fx based video) then to top it off come down with a stinking cold. Have been working hard all day with a head ache and streaming nose.

So i'm sorry if i seemed a little hostile. But people liking or disliking the new theme is the least of my worries today.

However you do raise a very valid point about the legibility of the site. The font size i don't see as a problem cos in firefox you just hit Ctrl+ or Ctrl mouse scroll wheel.

The newest theme has a blured out 50% lighter white version of the image which stays static behind all the body text. Of course internet explorer can't render the damn thing properly like firefox but i think you'll find it much easier on the eye. The blur naturally makes your eye focus on the closer object.

Interestingly i have some trouble with reading too. My issue is very black text on very white background. I get like a hazy border around high contrast objects due to my astigmatism in both eyes. A bit of image in the background instead of the pure white helps lessen the contrast for me. Also i tend to use dark blue instead of black text.

Accessiblility issues have come up a lot recently, is it true that using tables instead of css make it hard for software to understand the site? I'm trying very hard to make the new site 100% css. But with internet explorer unable to render even very simple things like:

display:table-cell in firefox produces something like a table with cells next to each other. explorer puts a line break inbetween each cell ????? The list goes on but essentially DON'T USE EXPLORER

Anyhoo, no hard feeling sym. Would you like me to send you a screen grab of the new theme i'm working on to see if it's easier on the eye? Would be nice to get feedback on it. I'll happily make a theme that's easier for you to read

hug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Ok, sorry to hear about your week frown Getting ready for play is taking it out of me a bit as well...

As for the name: I just use that sort of name for all my user scripts - [make * look nice] is just what I call them - it's not trying to say that they don't look nice that the moment or anything - it's just a name.

On tables/theme/etc Let me know (via email/pm - email my name @ play festival.co.uk) if you need any help. with CSS I've never needed to use display:table at all. You will be able to make more or less anything in CSS - If you want I will re make the design you ahve in CSS so you can have a look at it and either learn from it or use it directly. Anyway, let me know what I can do to help out smile

As for me looking at at, I can do if you like, but I will always be able to hack it about as I want to using this script so I'm not fussed. I do think that having the background move with the page would help, as the static one makes me feel odd!

hug

good luck with the DVD smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
If you've not seen it before, the IE7 javascript pack might be of some use to you guys...

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I have seen it (it's been about for about 2 years I think) but I've never had to use it. IE uses conditional comments anyway, so making a site work on IE isn't a problem really.

Anyway, the basic CSS needed for the spherc design shouldn't need any hacks or anything.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Oh, and I maent to say; I find the background quite distracting too (sorry) smile

Cake or Death?