Page: ...
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone...

Oks, well, I've had some bad news and thought I would post on here for advice on alternative therapies.

I've had a look through the existing threads (nice search system Malcolm!!) but didn't find what I was looking for, so I hope this is ok.

So then...

Just over a month ago my mother turned yellow.
It was two days before my parents were due to go on holiday, and instead she ended up in hospital.

They discovered it was a blockage near her bile duct, and after sticking a camera down her throat, found out she had a tumour on her pancreas.

She was eventually sent home for a few weeks to recuperate, then brought back in for an operation last Friday.

We discovered then that the tumour on her pancreas is too big - 6 cms - to operate on, and parts of it have spread to nearby glands.

The prognosis isn't good. They've told her between 6 months and a year, but any reseach I've done shows people with pancreatic cancer lasting between 4 - 6 months.

Our family is coping well, considering, so far.

(Personally, I feel like I'm constantly going to cry.
I try not to think about her leaving us as much as possible. My mother is the strongest person in the world... She is kind and lovely and despite having pissed me off often, has done a splendid job and has had a splendid life (she's travelled all over the place - took a boat to Australia from Ireland 40 years ago to work as a nanny on a cattle ranch!! She came home, by boat, via NZ, Fiji and the Panama Canal - in a time when tourism wasn't Lonely Planet travel-by-numbers).

At the minute, I'm coping. I'm finding myself running about my parent's house 'doing stuff' for them while also trying to keep a performance business afloat. That's been a barrel of laughs in itself... anyone setting up a business in the arts - prepare yourself now for the bitchiness, competition, jealousy and lack of support.

My deepest apologies to m'lovely friends on here if I haven't responded to your PMs or calls recently - thanks BamBam and Fluff x).

Jesus... that was a bitter and twisted rant... humblest apologies for that... redface

Anyways... I have posted this for a reason rolleyes smile

The doctors are still deciding whether mum should have chemo.
None of us are very happy with that idea... don't want her last few months to be spent throwing up.

She's got a very strong Christian faith, which keeps her bouncing through each day (lol, and she keeps emotionally blackmailing me to convert!!! Lol... I've told her it won't happen, but thanks anyway smile )

But I want info on alternative therapies... things that might reduce it, or just prolong her life for a bit. Does anyone here have any advice on where I could look?

I know not to accept intershnet advice as gospel, but it's good to get a guideline - or a point in the right direction.

Electro-magnetic therapy? Acupuncture? Organic foods and no tap water?!!

Does anyone here have any helpful hints?

Thanks so much for your time... and go home tonight and give your parents a hug... they could be gone much sooner than you think.

Love and hugs to you alll
Clare xx

Getting to the other side smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

They exploit the hopes of sick people and their families for money.

Birgit said it best. These people are the lowest of the low. In fact, these are probably the only people in the world who I would wish cancer on.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
hug

I worked for 6 months at a hospice a year ago. Birgit is right; I find it digusting to see people who are very ill being exploited financially and fed false hopes.

The hospice I worked at provided a range of complementary therapies (free of charge) like reiki, reflexology and aromatherapy. These were never marketed as a 'cure' for any illness, but a means of easing stress and sometimes the symptoms of illness and medications.

The majority of patients felt they benefitted from these, especially a reduction in stress that helped many of them come to terms more with their illness and impending death. The philosophies and ethos of the therapists and their practices, the gentleness, the lengthy contact time with patients, was a great source of comfort for many. When compared to chemo and invasive treatments used to fight cancer, many were relieved that there was someone who could offer them some help without causing them pain (lots of them have had quite negative experiences with surgeons or doctors).

There is no cure, but there are studies out there which suggest that things like having a positive attitude, demonstrating 'fighting spirit' as opposed to 'helplessness and hopelessness' and attending support groups can have a positive impact on survival times and recovery from chemo sessions (such as studies by Spiegel et al and Downer et al, can't remember dates off top of my head). All the evidence is preliminary in nature though, as it is extremely difficult to conduct rigorous scientific studies on terminal illness like cancer.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
Reflexology, massarage, sweedish massarge, armothearpy all come under the heading holistic thearpys they are prehaps one of the most helpful things ever i have found they ease stress and put people in a positive mind set people who think negativly wont get better cuz they dont want to so there body wont.

What these therpies do is relieve stress putting a positive mind set on you it can also help clear toxins from the body which is a great help to the imune system.

Although never markted as a direct cure they do help i know this because my mum is a holistic therpist so i have had direct contact with it put it this way it help cure my insomnia

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello all wave

Well then, it's been a while since my last update, so I thought I'd let you know how it's going...

In case you haven't/don't want to read the rest of the thread, my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer this summer.

It was horrendous for my father, brother and I, and the thought of having to face the future without her was brought into very sharp focus. After a few tests and trials, the doctors decided she could undergo chemo.

Five weeks into starting the course, she had swollen up like a balloon and couldn't walk very far. Also, her legs went a bit horrible (you don't want the details), so the doctors took her off the chemo for a couple of weeks. During this time, much of the swelling went down and she started feeling much better.

She went back onto the chemo for three weeks, and last week had another week off.

She started her last three weeks of chemo on Wednesday morning.

So, around mid-November she'll be getting a scan to find out if the tumour has increased, decreased, stayed the same or completely gone away (the last one is rather optimistic, I know!).

My mother is grand throughout... occassionally, and before chemo, she can feel rather down. She can't walk too far, and I think she feels a bit embarrased about holding my dad back. However, her mood has been ridiculously good - she is staying confident, smiley and optimistic - saying that she plans to stay around for a while, that she feels fine, that whatever comes will come, that she's 66 and had a good life, and that she has her faith.

It's quite hard for my dad and I though... we let ourselves believe her optimism, because we have too. If we continually reminded her (and ourselves) of the impending inevitable then she/we would be sad and it would bring her mood down.

I think the plan is to just keep going until we can't anymore... then deal with the shock (because it will always be a shock) when it happens.

My dad is coping ok, although you can see it's very hard for him. He bimbles about, doing stuff and housework and other busy things, and trying to keep optimistic.

Mum has a lot of old friends and relatives, and she goes out for lunch regularly... there are always people phoning and calling to the house to speak to her.

I think she loves the attention, but sometimes I wonder if my dad feels a little left out. He's a much quieter person, and I think the constant activity drives him slightly mad.

However - they're still going on holiday!!

During the last week off from chemo, Dad took her to Torremolinos.

Ok, so it's not exactly adventure holidaying... but they like going to stay at a nice hotel and not doing much...

They had a good time... and I hope they keep going away as much as they can.

My mum says she wants to be around for their next (30th) wedding anniversary next June (25th)... and we're holding her to it!

It's strange though... what happens with my mum will obviously dictate my plans for next year - Thailand in January, gigs next summer - I can agree to it, and show interest in it, but I know I might be a completely different person by then.

Anyways... that's all for now... thanks for reading...

And I hope those of you who have posted and are dealing with similar issues are doing ok...

love and hugs from Belfast

hug2

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the update Clare.

Maybe to make your dad feel a bit less left out you could arrange to take him out for a special treat to do something he loves.

I hope your mums good spirits win out over the dodgy day spirits. She sounds to me (from what you say) like she pretty much has life in perspective.

hug2

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Quick update...

My mum goes for her scan tomorrow morning (Tuesday), so we'll know in a couple of weeks whether the tumour has grown, shrunk or stayed the same.

She's feeling grand about it... Dad brought her out to see the ballet tonight (ohhh, posh)... which she loved, and she was really upbeat when I phoned earlier.

Dad is a bit more subdued... but doing grand too.

Ok, will let you know...

xx

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Best of luck for tomorrow morning, Clare. You and your family are in my thoughts.

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ooooooooooo The Ballet, very posh indeed biggrin

I hope tomorrow shows the tumour has shrunk hug

How are you holding up? Still smiling I hope!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I'm grand thanks (well, I'm ok anyways)... and thanks for both your wishes...

It'll be a couple of weeks before the results are through though...

hug2

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
WOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebounce
bouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebouncebounce

Mum got the results through from her scan today!!! (uber quickly)

They show a REDUCTION in the tumour!

Ok, it's only a tiny reduction... but at least it hasn't grown and become bigger!

So, they're going to keep her on the chemo for a while longer... see how it goes smile

Hurrah!!!

Clare x

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
every shrinkage no matter the size is great

congrats

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
hug Glad it's good news. Sending out my love to you and your family.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
yay smile

I'm so happy for you! hug

Btw, just received my COL and saw your video, very pretty biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

poigmarmite and nutella sandwich
1,590 posts

Posted:
ubbrollsmile bounce bounce2
I feel so happy for you

THE hop Pyro.
(with parents)
Unowned

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
:hug

that's absolutely *great* news clare hug2 hug hug2

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Yay!!!!! ubbrollsmile kiss biggrin biggrin biggrin bounce2

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yay! it's shrinking! wooo!! nice one Mum! xx

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Good news. smile
hugs
Drew

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Clare your mum rocks!

Positivity and drugs combined are a powerful thing.

hug Yay!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
See?

Never Give Up! Never Surrender!

May it only get better from now on...

hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SunnySammySILVER Member
Watching the Sky
453 posts

Posted:
Congrats missy! hug

sunny
I jumped into the river, what did i see?
Black-eyed angels swam with me. wink

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
great news hug hug

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Ah Clare that's brilliant news! I am so glad that things are improving smile xxx

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Tis good news indeed smile

Thanks everyone for your warm wishes... tis great.

It's only a slight reduction now... and I know pancreatic cancer is pretty lethal, so we're not expecting a miracle or throwing a party, or anything... but it's still good that it's going in the right direction.

smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Meh... shoulda known it was too good to be true...

Went out for dinner with my parents and brother last night.
As we were sitting down, my mum said: 'yes, on wednesday they told me the tumour had reduced a tiny bit in size... oh, but during the scan they also found little bloodclots on my lungs'.

She decided not to tell me about that because I was working in Dublin on Thursday and 'it didn't really matter'.

Argggghhhhhhhhh...!!!!

Ok.... so then, it seems that little spots have appeared on her lungs.
The doctors don't know where they have come from, or what they are related to, but they are making her very short of breath.

This is what worries me now - my mum had a heart attack about six years ago, and the shortness of breath could trigger another one... it could be that which takes her more quickly.

frown

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
frown

hug

This the "platelets" thing she mentioned when we saw her?

Uber-hug's

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
No, that's another thing.

Apparently the chemo treatment has left her platelets low - which I'm told leaves her more open to infection...

Le sigh...

frown

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
as bad as the platelets are-i think that is sort of normal, so they may try some steroids, at least it always seems to happen when one of my family members get diagnosed(not infrequently)...
you can't do steroids and blood thinners at the same time can you? don't they do the opposite thing or something...
is there a doctor around here

well hugs and prayers with you and your family

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
frown hug

I hope they can help your mum with the breathlessness.

Lots of love to you all.
hug2

Nonkymember
44 posts

Posted:
Clare- I don't know how you are coping.

I seen my aunt at the weekend there for the first time since she had been diagnosed with Breast cancer- she is currently going through chemo.

She has lost her hair and stuff now, but yet she remains so upbeat- It's humbling really. That was bad enough to see but in your case- it's your mother, it must be hard-yet anytime I have seen you, you have a smile on your face and take the time to be nice to people: You should be proud of yourself for coping so well.

I truly hope things get better xx

Page: ...