Page: ......
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hello everyone...

Oks, well, I've had some bad news and thought I would post on here for advice on alternative therapies.

I've had a look through the existing threads (nice search system Malcolm!!) but didn't find what I was looking for, so I hope this is ok.

So then...

Just over a month ago my mother turned yellow.
It was two days before my parents were due to go on holiday, and instead she ended up in hospital.

They discovered it was a blockage near her bile duct, and after sticking a camera down her throat, found out she had a tumour on her pancreas.

She was eventually sent home for a few weeks to recuperate, then brought back in for an operation last Friday.

We discovered then that the tumour on her pancreas is too big - 6 cms - to operate on, and parts of it have spread to nearby glands.

The prognosis isn't good. They've told her between 6 months and a year, but any reseach I've done shows people with pancreatic cancer lasting between 4 - 6 months.

Our family is coping well, considering, so far.

(Personally, I feel like I'm constantly going to cry.
I try not to think about her leaving us as much as possible. My mother is the strongest person in the world... She is kind and lovely and despite having pissed me off often, has done a splendid job and has had a splendid life (she's travelled all over the place - took a boat to Australia from Ireland 40 years ago to work as a nanny on a cattle ranch!! She came home, by boat, via NZ, Fiji and the Panama Canal - in a time when tourism wasn't Lonely Planet travel-by-numbers).

At the minute, I'm coping. I'm finding myself running about my parent's house 'doing stuff' for them while also trying to keep a performance business afloat. That's been a barrel of laughs in itself... anyone setting up a business in the arts - prepare yourself now for the bitchiness, competition, jealousy and lack of support.

My deepest apologies to m'lovely friends on here if I haven't responded to your PMs or calls recently - thanks BamBam and Fluff x).

Jesus... that was a bitter and twisted rant... humblest apologies for that... redface

Anyways... I have posted this for a reason rolleyes smile

The doctors are still deciding whether mum should have chemo.
None of us are very happy with that idea... don't want her last few months to be spent throwing up.

She's got a very strong Christian faith, which keeps her bouncing through each day (lol, and she keeps emotionally blackmailing me to convert!!! Lol... I've told her it won't happen, but thanks anyway smile )

But I want info on alternative therapies... things that might reduce it, or just prolong her life for a bit. Does anyone here have any advice on where I could look?

I know not to accept intershnet advice as gospel, but it's good to get a guideline - or a point in the right direction.

Electro-magnetic therapy? Acupuncture? Organic foods and no tap water?!!

Does anyone here have any helpful hints?

Thanks so much for your time... and go home tonight and give your parents a hug... they could be gone much sooner than you think.

Love and hugs to you alll
Clare xx

Getting to the other side smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Clare, that was a beautifully written post, your strength in this situation really shines through in it smile

Your mum had a peaceful death, enhanced by the proudness she must have felt for having a daughter like you.....

hug

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying

hug

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Clare, I'm so glad to be able to say that you are my friend. It's rare to have friends so eloquent, strong, brave and pretty.

You did an amazing thing for your mother. In the last few days, she must have been laying there looking at you and feeling a sense of pride and fulfilment. She and your dad have raise a beautiful woman. That must have given her a lot of joy to see.

Allow the emotions to come and go as they need and remember when the tough ones come along, you have a huge network for friends out here willing to hold you up when your knees buckle. None of the feelings are right and none of them are wrong. They are just stages you need to go through to heal the pain.

I'm thinking of you, as are Jon and all the other people here.

hug

Lynne

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
hug I have a tear in my eye too! I think you dealt with things in the best way possible near the end and you are an amazing person for dealing with it all the way you did. I am glad she passed over peacefully. She will still be with you always. hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
I'll second that George smile

Clare you've been so brave and strong. I just want to throw my arms around you honey hug hug

When dark times come remember to breath - you have a pure bond that can never be broken.

I love you my friend. hug

Lisa

angel

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
frown

Was doing ok yesterday when I wrote it...

Not so well today...

I used to feel mum's energy... and can't anymore ubbcrying

Feeling a bit paniky.

To those who can see what I'm going through and act accordingly, thank you hug

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:
PM darling

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You could spend time in photo albums and cry heaps. Crying must be important as we do it heaps. Lots of us are crying with you babe.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
still crying.

hug

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
There is so much sorrow these days, it's hard to take. I'm happy for you that you had the chance to say farewell and that your mum has lived a life and raised such a daughter. She must have been a great spirit and what a tragic loss for you and your family.

I hope she can take Maddi by the hand as you said, because I think Maddi was everything but ready to go.

You don't need to be strong now, Clare. Take your time.
Everyone is with you as much as they can - me too.

If I was to be a light my dear, you are a chandelier.

Lots of love and as much support as you need. hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
hug
condolences to you, lady, but I'm glad it was a peaceful passing for you mother

strength,love, light
hug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Clare hun, don't worry. She is there. She will always be there, because she is forever and will always be part of you.

My dad has been dead nearly 13 years and I still talk to him all the time in my head. When I need help making a decision or I need advice I just ask him and I guess I knew him so well the answers just come to me. Some people choose see that as him talking to me from somewhere else. I just see it as him being part of me forever.

I truly believe that when a person dies a part of who they are is held in everyone that ever loved them, so your mum can never leave you, she is part of your make up now. Maybe for now you are too upset to tune into her presence in you, but you will get it back. I promise you.

ubblove

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Your mother has seen the circle of life close, in that before she died she realised that she has raised a daughter who's grown up into a beautiful, talented young lady, who was there for her and cared for her when she needed it. I think she knows that you're confident and will make your way, and she is at ease now.

From what you've said about your mum, she was a practical, no-nonsense person. I think it would be like her, even in spirit, not to linger on for long if there are things that need doing. Part of her energy, I think, has simply found its place. Maybe she's reunited with people she's lost, or found someone who is lonely and needs her. I agree with Spanner that from time to time you will feel her presence, maybe it will just take some time to tune in because it's from further away now than it used to be, like when you come out of a noisy club and can't hear someone whispering next to you.

The other part is within you, your brother, your dad, and all the other people she's touched. You can't feel it yourself because it is a part of you, but it will always be there, as Skully says. It's part of what makes you so special, and other people who knew her, I'm sure, can see it when they look at you, hear you talking, watch you perform etc.

hug2

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Clare, don't worry about it - she's busy checking out the Otters Cottage and catching up with old friends.
As Birgit says, she knows you are strong and you don't need her all the time. And she knows that she has to leave you alone for a bit so you can adjust to a life without her (physically). But you can bet your boots she will know when you need her most and she'll be there at those times. She can never totally leave you - she is part of you forever.

hug ubblove sunny hug

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I still feel my mum around sometimes. Especially when I'm cooking, as thats what she did best. Sometimes I dream that it was all a big mistake, and things will go back to the way they were before. I'm going to try to write a bit of fluff about how much I'm feeling for you now hun, and even though we've only spoken very briefly in the real world, I, and i'm sure all the ten thousand or so other HoPpers, wish you and yours all the love and strength in the world over the coming months and years.
Passing through the sun,
Each and every time I think
Of you and all you did for me,
I know you still are here for me,
in this world of hurt and pain.
And though you travel past my sight,
I know you walk beside me here
In daylight under trees of gold
And gentle summer rain.

Immortality is the memory of someones love. Keep it well

hug grouphug hug2 ubbangel sunny ubbangel hug2 grouphug hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Clare, dont know if the idea helps at all, but in a very real, simple sense she is absolutely and irrevokabley a part of you and with you-- you are her blood, her dna, her gift to the world, and she will always live on with you and through you.

In a spirit sense, sometimes we dont feel their prescense as strongly simply because they give us, or we give us, time and space to connect back with our day to day earthly needs, to heal and adjust. Still there, but allowing you room to grow in a new way...

Panik, I know that well. I used to swim, and write sometimes, do physical stuff until my body was forced to exhaustion and sleep. And ate a lot of chocolate mousse, too. smile

Love to you, and when I have more computer time I have a post to put up for , a blessing around the gifts of absence and connection. By that author I am always going on about, John O donahue, I would get you a copy of Eternal Echoes if I was anywhere where such things were possible... From here I just hug hug hug your spirit...
( and theirs)

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

BirdGOLD Member
now available in "advanced"
6,086 posts

Posted:
hug

I don't think there's anything I can say that someone else hasn't already said.

hug

My thoughts are with you and your family, I know how hard a time you must all be having. Feel free to PM if you want a(nother)shoulder to cry on.

hug

My state of mind is not yours to define!

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Mags The JediGOLD Member
Fool
2,020 posts

Posted:
Hey darlin', it was really good to talk to you yesterday. You know where I am if you need me. hug

Big love.

m
x

"I believe the cost of life is Death and we will all pay that in full. Everything else should be a gift. We paid the cover charge of life, we were born."

Bill Hicks, February 1988

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Thank you so much for your thoughts and wishes... and in time I will respond to them all...

But since this is a thread for all shades of this journey... today is the bad side.

My insides are screaming and shaking and falling apart... please can someone help me to stop this... please? ubbcrying

This week:

* My mother died
* My friend was killed

(on a lesser note)
* I saw my mum in the funeral home, and seriously wish I hadn't
* Someone took £1,100 out of my bank account in Chang Mai... so I have no money to buy clothes for the funeral
* I have been badly, badly let down by two people I thought were close friends... and because of this will not now be going to Play (it is impossible, I am afraid).
* I received a very unpleasant, and completely unwarranted, email from a client (who has now apologised, but the damage is done).

Where exactly do I start to deal with all this?

I am screaming.

For two days I have been shell-shocked, but today it's all too much.

I am so angry. I want to break things. I want to be sick.

This is 7/7/7... supposedly a day for change... how is this going to change me? Please don't tell me it will make me stronger because right now i don't even want to be here tomorrow (of course, I will).

F*ck this. F*ck this. F*ck this.

(whatever blessings and good wishes still left in me are sent to Molly and Matt for their wedding today... (I'm sorry if that doesn't hold as much good energy as it should))

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
hey clare..

i-m so sorry to read all this..
i didn-t knew there-s a thread about it..i just found it cause of all this maddi tragic last days..

oh my god there-s soo much more sadness and deep feelings this days...
i can feel soo deep with you and your family and all moments what it means and how it is influencing you all daily life..

maybe you remember when we shortly spoke about in paris 2006..
you talled me about your mom-s cancer..i told you about my story with my dad of 4 years cancer, dying 2004.

just now, there-s just deep silence and feeling this peace of wonder life.....

now i see again your eyes and person this year in paris..we didn-t speak much..but i see you in me ..and your asking .."how are you"..i just felt how you where ,but i forgot about what happens in your life i forgot it..unbelievable..i was blind..i could feel it but wasn-t brave to ask you really how you are,
all this high technical fire poi.stuff technic and all this people with personal stories.we don-t think about..this "too much at a uberevent"..now i miss that i spoke with you..and now i read all this...

frown hug hug

clare..pufff ...if you want get in contact with me..maybe i can be there for you anyhow..we have a similar story in this- i feel...
it-s unbelievable how my life now still is influenced of my dadies death 3 years ago...this emptyness somebody leaves in a family live..my mom,my brother and sister...

clare -i-m at your side and send you all my love...
take care and all time you need to be with this

hug hug
love
josh

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
go ahead and break some things! I used to throw glasses at the wall, screaming, cause I needed to see something other than me shatter. ( but watch out. Once one bounced back off the wall, hit me in the head and knocked me on my ass..) was not that funny at the time!

Screaming is good for you. Go down to the ocean somewhere private if possible, and let yourself fall to the ground screaming your rage and pain....

dont keep it in sweetheart, find a safe place, and let go...

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
..yes go screaming best to the sea or uphill on a mountain...
and then go for you big dance of love like only you can do..
and fill the athmosphaere with all you sences...

love
josh hug

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
Oh Clare hug- if that helps any...

Given what you have been through, I think it is totally understandable that you feel the way you do. Forgive me if I am wrong, but to me it seems like you have been holding it together for your mum, and other members of your family for so long... I guess now you no longer have to put on a brave face for her, everything has just come crashing down around you.

I run an online support group, and the members and I have come to a conclusion over time that usually you need to hit rock bottom, before you can start coming back up. I appreciate that many people will disagree with that one, maybe yourself included... or maybe this is about where you are right now....?

I have a friend that lost her mum a few months back. She hit that point a few weeks later after the funeral, as she had felt compelled to be positive around visiting relatives- and she had also had so damn much to do. When everyone had gone home and everything was over, the enormity of what had happened hit her. But..... she got through it. Slowly but surely she has come out the other side.

I don't know how I can advise you to start dealing with anything- I haven't been in your position. Sure, I don't know you at all, but from what you have written in this thread you do seem to be able to think and act with amazing clarity when you have to. Do the screaming, and breaking things or whatever if you feel you need to, give yourself a little time to "let go" as BansheeCat said- but have faith in yourself that you will be able to piece everything back together again.

Gosh, I hope that helps a little. I didn't really know what else to say... frown

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
ubbcrying again
hug hug hug

- 10 hours too late no doubt... but hope you did go and pound on something and do some screaming until it all came out. Breaking stuff not so good but smashing at a punching bag, the sand on a beach, the ground, a big old tree etc can help. Not healthy to supress that much negativity girl.

Dammit, why is NZ so far away! (again)
hug

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Scream. I used to do it in the fields behind my house. Cant do that now (as I dont have fields)

The darkest hour is always just before dawn.

Look after yourself hon, let it go, let it out.

hug

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
One of my friends in Romania lost her mother when she was about 16. And when I was in Romania, my "second mum" in Australia was killed tragically. And my Romanian friend told me something which really helped (sorry i've only thought of this now)

It's like the end of the movie Finding Neverland:

All you need to do is close your eyes and she will be there.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
just reading back through the first post in this thread, you said many people did not last 4 - 6 months.. your mums strength and will to continue so long is astounding, a trait that we can all see shining through in you, right now

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
hug

Thanks everyone...

Not feeling as bad today as yesterday, but I think yesterday was a sign for what is to come...

I'm actually feeling quite fine most of the time... but I suspect that may be shock, and my mind not knowing which issue to deal with first, let alone how to deal with mum.

Miss Corinth... thank you lady... I'm feeling low, but not at rock bottom - certainly not as bad as I was in April... and I know I will probably go lower before coming back again.

Fortunately, a close friend is coming to stay with me for a while... which will be good - there's alot I need to let go of, and don't really know where to start.

And many, many thanks for all the offers of money to help me out, it's very kind... but I'm not going to be taking any of it!

I'll put things on my credit card, then pay it back when the money is refunded (I'm hoping it will be)... it's no worries, and I'm going to handle it myself, rather than rely on the very nice generosity of others.

Best wishes
xx

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Throwing breakable stuff leaves you with a huge mess to clean up.

The funeral home thing, seeing your mum, its an image that is hard to deal with. If you want that image to be merged with the one you remember try photo albums and films of her. Make you cry lots more and maybe help.

The funeral is a poo of a day when you cope while breaking inside. The time till it happnes is limbo. Every time Ive lost someone close I do the greiving for them later than the funeral itself, as funeral day is a day to cope with and get through any way you can. Its more for others somehow. The cultures with ashes and renting of clothes may have it more right than uptight in a penguin suit trying not to completely lose it. Spending half your time trying to look out for the rest of the loved ones and the other half in shock and wondering what the hell is going on.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
hug

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Page: ......