Forums > Social Chat > Note to self: Breakbeat rocks!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I'd always heard of breakbeat music... there are so many different styles of hip-hop and techno that I guess I just never really got to sit down and listen to it specificly until this last weekend. There was this awesome DJ at a lounge in my hood that I like spinnin' mostly breakbeat all night long. And it was good.

So all of you breakbeat kids, let me know some more stuff to download, popular breakbeat DJs and other things that a breakbeat newbie like myself can get into... (Please!)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
welcome to the club used to spin breaks for a while..

Plump DJ's
Basement Jaxx
Koma and Bones ***
DJ Gemini
Kid Spatula
DJ Hyper
Sharaz
Simply Jeff
Hybrid
BT
Aquasky ***
Jackyl and Hyde *****
Atomic Hooligan ***
Vandal **
ahh yess,
Rennie Pilgrim(tho I like his schit pitched up bettah)
Uberzone *****
Freq Nasty

peace

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Musashii,

I agree... the Plumps are awesome mate.

Easily my favourite breaksters - nice fusion of old and new sounds.

Jo

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

1,148 posts

Posted:
no doubt, n their still toppin every one's bag

One more, Omar Santana puts out some sick sick sick beats..mad respect cuz it's hard to decide which is better his producing or his sets

[ 28. January 2003, 07:51: Message edited by: musashii ]

Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Uberzone was one of the songs that the DJ was playin' that got the whole coversation going.

DJ Shadow seems a bit breakbeaty too, no?

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Breaks

Woo!HCH No 2
216 posts

Posted:
NYC, whatever genre you try and squeeze DJ Shadow into, he's wicked.

The Private Press got me through this last lot of exams!

[And an unrelated (to break-beat) band, AIR (aka Air French Band), and the Moon Safari album, this is the soundtrack to my life and I plead others who have not heard it to beg borrow or steal a copy. Esp track 03 'All I Need', beautiful!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Insert comedy signature HERE ..]
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All I need is a little time
To get behind this sun and cast my weight
All I need is a peace of this mind
Then I can celebrate

All in all there's something to give
All in all there's something to do
All in all there's something to live
With you...

[ 28. January 2003, 13:48: Message edited by: trippyhippyslittlebuddy ]

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
dunno if u will like them, but these are bereakbeats by asian DJs....they mainly use software to do their mixes but its still good

www.neofreestyle.net

www.ngoname.com

www.hypnotika.org

just some direct downloads....

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
hell ya, man!!!!!

we been jammin to breaks for a long time, my best friend/ex-fire show dj has been djing breaks for about a bazillion years. it's what opened me up to electronic hard music. i dig it way hay haay. i like dark, deep, hard, jazzy, funky, dreamy, sushi, sexy, dub-by, bassy breaks.

check out nubreaks.com and torontobreaks.com

older stuff musashi forgot on his list. (his bada$$ list, love half of it, going to get the other half.)

dr. olive
sofa surfers (dub jazzy, my favorite band)
cujo (dark jazzy)
dj lorin (aka bassnectar, a beautiful spirit)
dj neptune (my bestest buddy)
dark soldier
freqnasty (rocked my booty chakra)
botcht breaks (compilation)
up, bustle and out (awesome latino/third world breaks)
govinda (sensual indian atmospheric)( another buddy)
ronnie and clyde

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
Indeed, Breaks are wikid, although wibbly scratchy bits are often f@~kin hard to spin to.

I recommend:

DJ Qbert (nigh on impossible to spin to)
the Invisibl Scratch Pikles
Amon Tobin
Mr Scruff (less hiphop/scratch influenced, very english, very good to spin to)
Prince Paul
and EVERYBODY loves DJ Shadow, with good reason

and pretty much anything by Ninja Tune

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Jomember
517 posts

Posted:
Fingathing!
Rae & Christian!

yummy...

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

DJ DantanaBRONZE Member
veteran
1,495 posts

Posted:
I think my favorite part about break beats is watching the break dancers. I love to copy their moves/footwork and add them to my twirling style.

we eat and we drink and we smoke and we try!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
see you went and got me started.

freestylers (hard hip hop breaks)
can't believe i forgot amon tabin!
label- WE records ( )
HIVE (not breaks, really it's drum and bass, but hey, everybody should know about hive cuz they are the shit)
thunderball (retro breaks)
kruder and dorfmeister (same)
dj kicks (compilations)
label- finger lickin records (funky)
label- silver pearl (fast)
dubbed out in DC
cheb i sebbah
aphex twin (hey, it could be breaks)
eathrise (trancey)

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

1,148 posts

Posted:
ah yes, Arashi, I love botchit breaks lbl, half the shit I used to spin is Botchit, n their new schit is really nice..There's one more artist I keep forgettin, I'll have to raid the bag tonite to see what their name is again.

Icey's new mix tapes are much better than his older stuff, I'd highly recommend them too..

We forgot mistress Baby Anne too

Also if u like the jazzy downbeat stuff, nothin beats DJ Krush, don't think I saw him mentioned

or even Cold Cut for that matter
also must give shout out to my boy DJ Neutron, he's got another 12" comin out soon

Ars Pyronomica

1,148 posts

Posted:
DIGITAL PIMPS!!!

thassit, they rawk, nuff sed..
gotta werk on that memory thing sometime..

Ars Pyronomica

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
sheeeeeeit, you like hip hop?
DJ HELLRAZOR
dj twist
dr. dre
snoop dog (older the better)
people under the stairs
terra nova
2pac

more GOOD stuff

BROOKLYN DUB (indian/funky)
strange brew
boom box
funky porcini
lee coombs
dj cam
thievery corporation
eat static (trancey)
wagon christ
crooklyn dub consortium (awesome!)
ground zero (indian)
dubbed on planet skunk
layo and bushhwacka
aphrodite (drum and bassy)
drum and bossa
celtic cross
loop guru (indian fusion)
massive attack
music with no name (third world)

geez, that enough for ya yet?!?!?!

1,148 posts

Posted:
nah nah never enuff

more downbeat
Thievery Corporation
Universal Project
Two Lone Swordsmen ****
Red Snapper
Coil (course no way ever of pigeonholing these guys)

hiphop?

DR Octagon
Talib Kwali
DJ QBert
Tribe Called Quest
Q Tip
Busta Rhymes
KRS ONE
Cube
Jedi Mind Trixx
Fugees
Raekwon
Xhibit
NWA
Dr Doom
Master P
Pharcyde
Nas
Jay Z
Method Man
Redman
Hi Tek
Mos Def
Ghostface Killah

will have to chek out DJ Hellrazor n ppl under stairs, have heard good tings

hehe, eat static trancey? that's like callin George W a rednek..a bit of an understatement

Ars Pyronomica

Liquid Prodigymember
7 posts

Posted:
I spin funky breaks. If you'd like a few demos of me and a few other artists in Florida hit me up, mel@liquidprodigy.com with your address.

Sharaz is definitely producing some great music right now and he just signed with Tommy Boy so I’m sure he’ll be touring more. His new CD “Until Dawn” is full of great breaks by him, Infiniti, and a few other artists.

Rick West is another great breakbeat producer. His new CD “original flavor” is selling quite well and it’s totally badass.

Infiniti is releasing a bunch of tracks he’s been sitting on lately that are just unbelievable.

These are all breakbeat producers and you shouldn’t have a problem pulling up some of their tracks online.

Hope this helps.

-Mel

JeStErSILVER Member
enthusiast
214 posts

Posted:
I've got Adam freeland-coastal breaks, it's alright.

celtic cross, now that's gotta be ambient (grab a ticket before listening to it)

Really like break-beat, drum n bass and jungle but sometimes have trouble telling 1 from the other, are there any distinct differences that define each of them?

Also does anyone know of some good break-beat, drum n bass, jungle that uses acoustic samples e.g. djembe/bongo as a baseline and perhaps flute etc over the top?

Trying to play the Akashic records,
but my turntables not compatible.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
okay i can't believe i forgot one of my faves...

TOSCA (downtempo/retro)

as far as what defines breaks/d&b/jungle...

i'm no expert, just a "professional" dancer doing shows at raves for years with lots of dj friends... but i have skim read a book on the history of d&b

there is a fuzzy line, cuz something can cross over from one to the other... really it comes down to the beat pattern. d&b is sort of a catch all, like "Techno" since it is so widespread and evolved, and has many many sub classes. the thing that differentiates it specifically is the bass. since breaks have evolved out of it i would say that d&b has become more for the beats that are more regular, less off time, closer to trance. breaks have beats on the off tempo, closer to jazz, reggae or hip hop. jungle _to me_ means there is lots of crazy staccato drum solos or complex rythm mathematics, usually with an industrial feel. drum and bass would be simpler, with the sub frequencies more basic- one note, chord progression _support_ oriented. breaks seem to have the mid and high range complex chord progressions supported tonally by the bass frequencies, enabling the subs and woofers to be more integrated chorally, and not just an extension of the drums. like not too much D&B with the bass frequencies bieng modulated, or sliding around to match, or even augment the music, as with breaks. both have roots in the funk/disco/hip hop/reggae genre . to me breaks are the most musically complex, and allow for much more expression and musical journey. if a drum and bass song starts getting weird, or changes up, or gets moody, i usually say, oh! now we're getting a little breakbeat action going on! not many prime # beat signatures in d&b, but i'm running across the ocassional prime in the breaks genre. and everybody knows that prime # signatures are the true thermometer for how evolved a music style is. that's why i practice spinning in prime patterns (hello 13 beat weave)

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
oh yeah...

at the eat static joke. true, lots on my list are sort of crossover. eat static are like the david bowie of trance, but man they have lots of breaks in there. i can't listen to a monotonous beat for more than a few minutes, but i love eat static.

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
MARINE PARADE

"freq nasty" style funky bass grooves tha'll rock the booty chakra

1,148 posts

Posted:
yeah, eat static is one of my faves of all time

mebbe I kin help in the dnb/breaks classification a little, add to what arashi has said here..

most traditional 'teechno' can be classified by the traditional 4 on the floor bass drop. 4 on the floor meaning bass that can be broken down into phrases of 8, 16, 32 or 64 beats. Traditional techno, house and trance usually have 32 or 64 beat phrases, where during these phrases the bass is hitting around once every second, more or less depending on the bpm(beats per minute of the music). What usually starts or ends a phrase is an audible shift in the music, ie an extra drop, a buildup, or addition of a bass or percussion line.

Here's a list of bpm(or speed) of most genres

House 80-120
Trance 110-150
Breaks 90-120
DnB 150-190
Hard Kore - 170-210

Now drum and bass and breaks are different from traditional techno in the fact that the bass line isn't a 4 on the floor bass line, it's usually a combination of bass and percussion that makes up the driving line of the song. Not that when you mix dnb or breaks you don't eventually break it all down to the 4X4 to beatmatch, it's just something you have to listen for a little bit harder because it isn't given to ya. Breaks and DNB are interchangeable, meaning you can speed breaks up and you will have DNB, or you can slow DNB down and you will have breaks, but this doesn't always mean it will sound good howeveah
Other than that, another big difference in break beat and dnb producers is the amount of change in a song. Break beat songs can change a significant amount during a song, whereas dnb _usually_ stays along the same base rhythym, adding or subtracting secondary rhythyms or samples on top.

probly forgetting something, hmm

oh yeh, Jester, sound like you would love live drum n bass, where you actually have a live band playing, usually someone on drums, bass, little bit o vocals, alot of percussion. cool schit, tho I've only seen it one time at Phoenix Festival, but they rocked..

Ars Pyronomica

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
i LOVE LOVE LOVE doing shows with live PA drum and bass bands!!! pretty rare, but it does happen. they make doing shows even that much more fun, so much that i'll usually do them for flight expenses plus some food money. dependin on how broke i am. you wanna see me bust out? get me a live d&b band!

miami, san fran got it going on in that department.

1,148 posts

Posted:
ack, I would LOVE to spin fire to a live act...have any artist names by chance Arashi??

Ars Pyronomica

Mr.Coffeemember
56 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't really say baby anne was breaks, but she's still good. anyway as far as break beat artists, there are genres as well. nu skool, funky, and miami breaks, and im guessing there are more as well. you guys all forgot BLIM (boy lost in music) he makes some kick ass shit, chronologic is a good one by him, as well as torquoise (sp?) also buddy ralph has a good remix of madonna's "like a prayer" that's titled "call my name"

also koma and bones have some good stuff and pretty much any wishfm radio set by adam freeland is gonna kick ass.

oh yeah, i almost forgot clubbed to death by rob d, there's a breaks mix of that. and kick a hole, by forme (i think)

-Rhys

--> I'm just a wave acting out in my own particular way <--

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Hey now, I was just brain stormin' for break beats. Don't get me started on Hip Hop now... I grew up in the 80s in Brooklyn NY, the cradle of hip hop existance. The first song I had memorized was UTFO's Roxanne, Roxanne (or was it Slick Rick/Doug E. Fresh's "The Show"?) Back in the days BEFORE Ol' Skool.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:

@NYC!!!! hey now! i carry a human beat box/ drum and bass rythm machine with me when i travel nowadays!!!! old school meets new school! he's the guy in the pic with me! a great dj, and we also JAM drums together!!! don't even ask about the girl! she's trouble!!!

musashi- names? only done a three or four, unfortunately... wish i could remember, if i could i'd be calling them to knock them up for shows!!! only two i _can_ remember have been/are my "$$clients$$" so i ain't tellin that's me with a red zipper on my lips

Salingermember
382 posts

Posted:
NYC,

If you are interested in more nights offering breakbeat then go into breakbeat science's shop, (www.breakbeatscience.com), I went in there when I was DJing in the States and it's a wicked shop, very orientated around dnb but there's tons of flyers knocking around about all breakbeat nights in the city and the guys who work in there are good blokes.

p.s. If you want some dnb to download I should have a few sets to post up here in the next week or so.

happy spinning,

Salinger

A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words...

1,148 posts

Posted:
Arashi, you _officially_ suck, BOOOOO

Ars Pyronomica

ooahgroovesmember
3 posts

Posted:
Don't forget to "kick a hole in da speaka" with Forme:Marine Parade. Its off the hook!!
But freakbeat producer of the year definitly goes to MasterBlaster vs. Aquasky! They keep it rockin non-stoppin! But definitly mad props to
Evil 9
Tipper
B.L.I.M.
Raw as Fuck
Future Funk Squad
2sinners
Buckfunk 3000
sonz of mecha
e.v.a.k.
Player One
Kemek the dope computer
Flip & Vigi