tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
I have a dilemna, and it's driving me insane. In order that anyone else can understand it, a bit of background first...

I come from Zimbabwe, which I left after being caught in ten riots too many, and came to the UK to save a few quid and then globetrot. That was the plan.
I now have the opportunity of returning to Zimbabwe to manage a game farm, which I think would be an awesome career, if slightly unstable, given the situation in Zim at the moment.

Where is the problem, I hear you cry?? It goes as follows :

If I decide to take the job back home, it has to be done within the next couple of months i.e. just time to save the airfare home. This leaves little room for traveling the world, as the job would be permanent (barring Zimbabwean hiccups), and therefore, travel would have to take a backseat for many years. This is a real bummer, IMHO, because it's something I've always wanted to do. Travelling somewhere for a couple of weeks every year is not an option either, due to complicated circumstances at the game farm. It's also not travelling then, IMO, it's just holidays, which isn't really what I want.

I realise that in the grand scheme of things this is hardly what most people would call a problem, but it's doing my head in. I also realise that it's a personal choice that only I can make, but any feedback or ideas or anything at all really would be both welcome and appreciated.

Don't worry, be happy...

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
Just read that, and to clarify :

Take the job, kick travel in the teeth for several years, or,

Stuff the job, and travel the world. It's unlikely an opportunity like this will arise again.

Don't worry, be happy...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Where is the farm hunny?

You read my report that I gave you - obviously that was skirting the issues -

one question I would ask is wether you'll be paid in Zim dollers of ForEx.. inflation is 3000% and rising.. it's not good there at the mo.. but do they need a cook??

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
Travel the world, or move to a primitive, violent country to breed animals to kill them for profit.

Tough one...

Magnus... pay it forward

tadpoleGOLD Member
enthusiast
200 posts

Posted:
MisStix - it's in an area called Mateki Hills, which is near Beitbridge. Reports from people in the area say it's fairly unaffected from violence due to the fact it's not good farming country.

Magnus - it's not quite as clear cut as that. It's not "breed animals to kill them for profit", responsible game management is a necessary technique for species survival (only because of the way man spreads, which makes it rotten, but still necessary). I disagree with hunting personally, and the farm emphasises tours as opposed to hunting, I'm led to believe, but by controlling necessary evils we can minimize their impact.

Don't worry, be happy...

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Tadpole - I can only suggest that you follow your heart - as you say this oppertunaty comes once but a life time.. I'd go back home.. troubles and all.. what is the worst that can happen? You don't like it/ you have to leave/ you are made to leave.. then you can go traveling - the world is aways out there- granted they say it's best to travel when you are young.. but man - game farm?? the touristy thing is gonna get shittier, but conservation is something that Zim needs the animals that I saw up round the Kariba park (can't remember what it's called - the livestock there was dying - they had no special conservation program going)

The best that could happen - you spend your life in a beautiful country working with the animals you grew up with.. sun, and Zambizi/Castle.. hard one hun - but me. I'd go home too...

Plus we need to infiltrate poi to Zim.. and you can always stay with me if you wanna come over to the cold, wet, extotionatly overpriced shops to look at miserable people all day in your little office..

Edit - plus if you need anything ie petrol or food - you could always do a deal with my dad.. they've just bought the petrol station @ Makuti..they are thinking of getting more..

[ 28. January 2003, 06:47: Message edited by: MisStix ]

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

Yemustranger
1 post

Posted:
zim is awesome... hope you came????

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
if the job is a great opportunity take it. is there anything that says you can't chuck it in if it's aweful or to stop you travelling the world when your older or if things go horribly wrong?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally posted in 2003. Just btw.

Also, cool new avatar TJF.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland