Forums > Social Chat > Nobody likes a bogan...

Login/Join to Participate

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Was listening to the JJJ hottest 100 over Australia Day, and was delighted by that glorious song "nobody likes a bogan".

For the un-initiated a bogan, also known as a bevan or westie, is a strange breed of human, classically dressed in tight black or acid-washed jeans, Metallica tshirt & sporting a fetching mullet haircut. This applies for both males and females. They are known for their broad Aussie accents, their love of beer and barnsey.

I was just wondering if other countries have the equivalent of bogans? And also if any aussies have good bogan stories, or even were bogans at some stage in their lives?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
yep, here we call em rednexx, or trailer trash..The south has a very (frighteningly)healthy mullet population, and the radio stations still have 'mandatory' metallica blocks and metallica cover bands still draw huge crowds..

Two bogan stories I can relate. 1st from personal experience, was simply the best mosh pit hit I've ever seen, n it was at a metallica concert a long time ago, in North Carolina. Outdoor concert, n there was a mosh pit right beside where me n friends were standing. I had just taken a breather from the pit, and a well fed bogan starts smashing every one in the pit. After clearing the pit, he starts strutting around the pit, holding his arms up like he's just won the superbowl. He makes it around the pit twice before getting _slammed_ from behind by the most well-fed bogan literally at the concert and sliding downhill face first in the grass. And comes up with both nostrils full of sod. heh

Second is true I think because it came in second for the darwin awards a couple of years ago. Something like two bogans were using the winch from their truck to sneak into a metallica concert. The first guy slides down the tree, slips, falls down the tree for a ways, pulling his pants down and then becomes, erm, impaled in the now naked region. Second friend tries to rescue, pull truck down on top of both of them..

'good' to know theyre everywhere huh

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
*shudders* Rozi, your going to five me nightmares again

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
ya...im in texas...and ya dont get too much more southern then that....redneck trailor trash is of abundance around here...metallica marathons on the radio are a common occurance and mullets are about the peak of fashion.....and people love spam and mayonnasie sandwiches. its not a pretty sight. welcome to texas....but hey...at least its not alabama

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ey, I had fun in Alabama...those guys make shroomy tea by the vat, and mosh til theyre bloody not a bad place to stop thru, dunno if I'd live there

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

theblackunicornmember
119 posts

Posted:
and yes...i do have a rather funny bogan story...

i was spending the day with my adopted dad( who is a bogan himself god love him...even sports the mullet...but at least he keeps his in order) fishing. these 2 rednecks were on the shore about 100 yards away from us and drinking miller lite like there was no tommarrow. after about their 9th six pack...one of them decides to get in an inner tube and float around for awhile...so his buddy keeps on fishing while he floats around. about 10 min. later....his buddy on the shore casts off and hooks the poor guy's inner tube...popping it. the guy in the inner tube is now thrashing around wildy trying to swim back to the shore in his very drunk state..while his pal on land is screaming at the top of his lungs that he has caught the biggest fish in the world. at this point we left.....ashamed to be texans seeing as they were both natives.....

its to dying in anothers arms and why i had to try it......

Soleilmember
41 posts

Posted:
argh am such a boring cow!!! BUT!! was reading my language books for reply to "obscenities" and found that the word Redneck dates to 1830, when it was first used to denote the Presbyterians of Fayetteville.

There are 3 reasons :
1.it could be a reference to a ruddy neck caused by anger.
2.it could be a reference to sunburned necks caused by working in the fields all day.
3.it could be a reference to pellagra which turns the neck red.

There is also a tale in it which it referred to striking coal miners who wore red bandannas as a means of group identification. This is unlikely due to what we know of its origin. The sunburn or pellagra explanation seems more likely than the anger one.

Interestingly,(to me anyhoo) the Afrikaans Rooinek, which literally means redneck, is a term the Boers used to apply to the British and later became associated with any European immigrant to South Africa.

so there you go...

sol xx

HEEEEEEEEED!!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I had never heard the term Bogan until I had lived in aussie...In New Zealand they are pretty much called 'metal heads,' (one who loves old metal) or petrol heads (one who loves old metal and cars.)
These people can generally be seen congragating in groups grunting about beer, boobs and cars. YUP tis true. But many would never sport a mullet. They would get the beats. Its just so not cool...

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
heyas..

I was chatting to some mates about this some time ago... they're also called 'bevans' ... I think that may be a Qld thing though...

I do remember though..when I was over in New Zealand last year, watching tv, and I saw a music show. (Kinda akin to Recovery that used to be on Saturday mornings)

The presenter guy had a MULLET. Yes, someone on tv (what I think was supposed to be the hip/trendy music program) actually on camera sporting a kind of neatly presented mullet. It had us in stitches for a bit... couldn't believe that the mullet of all thing was making a comeback??

Anyways..

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i like a good bogan

with toast,
for breakfast...

oh
sorry
you said bogan?
right
The ones i know dont wear metallica tshirts. They wear flannel. And skin tight black jeans, the ones you wince at when they bend over, because slight protubance is sure to have been castrated.... not a nice thought really. Ah well

The mullet. Its an institution. Right up there with mental health....

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Pyro_TechCrazy Nutter stuck in Farmidale...
264 posts

Posted:
A group of guys from my Uni college are throroughly fascinated with Mullets to the point that it's an unhealthy obsession - they find things that are completely odd or wacky and latch onto them like there's no tomorrow....!
They love supporting the underdog, adopting crazy fashions and taking the piss out of anything remotely amusing...
They have made a website dedicated to the bogan and in particular the wonderful hair do that is the Mullet.... Will have to find the address and post it here...

Each year at college they also run a 'monthly mullet watch' - everyone at college is encouraged to take a photo of any mullets they see and submit them to the competition - mullet of the month wins a case of beer and the over all mullet of the year wins an entire keg.
My friend won in 2002 with his graphic photo of the 'Mullet family' - Mummy, Daddy and Toddler mullet....lovely sight to see.
Rach

We all take different paths in life, but no matter which path we take, we take a little of each other everywhere...

Paddyback from the dead...sort of
884 posts

Posted:
Check out www.mulletsgalore.com

This very nearly became my homepage over HoP.

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
When I was at Uni, one pizza delivery place got far more orders than anywhere else - purely because their delivery man had an Uber-Mullet. The hair at the back was waist long!!!!

We had a drinking game involving mullets too, although I don't suppose it was much of a game - the only rule was that if anyone saw a mullet, they had to stand up, shout 'APE DRAPE!" and everyone had to finish their drinks.
Luckily for my liver, we didn't see many.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Rozi, love you are describing the Wayne's World fanatics.

I wouldn't say they were rednecks though. There are too many different types of rednecks to really rope them all into one classification.

You have the Southern Gentleman redneck, who wears a three piece suit and a black or white Stetson everywhere he goes.

The Farmer/Rancher, ususally a bit more rude but they can be quite the charmer around the ladies.

Trailor trash/Swamp rat, these are the lowest of the low, people have little respect for them and their art of Aligator wrestling.

Then you have the rare unclassifiable redneck, a person who is truly a redneck at heart but just by looking you wouldnt be able to tell.

There are many more deffinitions but I think you all understand my point.

Stupid Yankees!

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I think our bogans tend to be more urban, congregated around the less fashionable suburbs, hence the name "westie" in Sydney.

I think Aussies also tend to be a bit more affectionate about our bogans, than Americans are about rednecks. Bogans are basically inoffensive until you get a few beers into them, then they are usually just louder

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...