Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Ok, I did a quick search, but I couldnt find a place that tells you what makes a good contact staff. I'm new to CS and I though I read something about it on MCP's site but I cant seem to find it again. Sorry If there is already a topic like this, as Im sure there is but Im in a hurry so to the point.
Im about to go take a shower, and after I do Im gonna check this thread, and then head out to the hardware store to get some stuff. Im planning on buying enough pipe for several projects IE blowguns, doubles, contact staff, But what I want to know is what makes a good contact staff? Im assuming the longer the better (to a point) and a good grip. But how much weight on the ends, how heavy, is a larger diameter good or bad... Any help would be greatly apreciated as I'd love to start Contact staff soon biggrin

Twisthem488

Im a Thespian, But I'll Act Normal Around You Guys

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
there isn't a this is how you make a staff section...

some of my navigation seems to have messed up too.. poooo.

anyway:

Contact staffs are generally long, at 1.5m / 5 foot, or slightly more or less. The longer the better really, as long as you can still spin it. (1.5m comes up to my chin, which is a good general guide for staff height). The length gives you a slower rotation and more room to do the contact move with.

Contact staffs are supposedly supposed to be heavier than "spinning" staffs. I don't really feel this is necessary. You do need some weight in order to help you feel the staff on your body, but not really more than medium wicks and steel tube is going to provide. All these fully cored contact staffs scare me, cos they're soooo heavy. It makes them hurt more when they hit you, and they're usually a lot faster due to the added weight. I wouldn't recommend it. (Fully cored is when wooden dowel is ran through the entire length of the metal tube making up the staff.)

What I find more important in a contact staff is that all of the weight should be at the ends rather than the middle. In physical terms I think this makes the staff spin like it's longer, due to the weight at the ends. Hence slowing it down and giving it a better momentum for contact. So I usually recommend dowel in the ends only of staffs, to give it a little more weight there and better heat absorbtion. (It stops the metal heating up so quickly.) Also big wicks, though scarey will add weight at the ends.

Obviously I haven't used many wooden staffs with metal end caps. This is because I haven't ever made one, or bought one. But I imagine they're pretty good, since they won't bend like metal will.

Grip eh? Well I like lots of grip. Though I have done contact with a bare metal staff, and a baton, and it's fine if you practise. Posh hockey stick grips are my favourate currently, but I might be converted to leather grips shortly. I think they would be good too. Other grip options include: Bicycle inner tube, bicycle handlebar grip, and anything else that is slightly padded and fire retardent.

from the site.

metal = ali 7/8 inch (~23mm) diameter, 2-3mm wall thickness. Strong enough to not bend

length = long

wick = kevlar, lots of.

dowel, underneath the wicks only, heavy hardwood preferable.

grip: leather is my current fave now. Some people like things with more spring to cushion their weak fragile bodies. I like things with lots of grippiness.

bit of metal tape over the ends to stop the wood burning.

Sorted.

There are various ways to faster the wick to the metal. Other people have their preferences, i have mine.

Use lots of wick. The heavier on the ends, the better.

Make the center.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Yes, thats exactly what I was talking about when I said I saw something on your site. Thank you veeeeery much biggrin. Now I have to order some kevlar. I'll be using makeshift weights until then. Again thank you.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
And dont forget to call it something......

like "herbert" or "Norman" .... names like that will help your contact staffs confidence alot smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
my latest is called appleseed

but I need some names for my pixie throwing sticks, well three names really...

And I recently re found my first ever staff! TONK! Tonk is back! YAY!

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
*plug* you should see the staffs Matty B's been making for PLAY. I predict they will be extremely popular with those of the contact staff persuasion *plug*

wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i hear the wicking technique hes using is sweeeeet too wink

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
ok now I have a general idea of what to play with. Although experimentation does mean more staffs biggrin I wanted to go get the stuff the other day, but didnt manage before some church stuff became priority. Then today I had a cheer clinic and hangout type thing. I tell you, 12 straight hours with cheerleaders wore me out more than spending 3 solid days at a juggling fest! Anywho, more info on Matty's staves? They sound fun biggrin I wont be able to make it to PLAY, although it would be awesome, stugz, bluecat, colin, the ministry'o'manip gang. I hope everyone that goes has fun. Just another reason for me to go to the UK instead of KU. Darn america... :P

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
well if ur in yank you shoulda caught up with meg i heard she did some workshops around that way

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Twisthem488

I tell you, 12 straight hours with cheerleaders wore me out more than spending 3 solid days at a juggling fest!

wink nice! biggrin

ubblol

Simta, America is quite big, you know... wink

So, Joe, Contact Staff as well, huh? wow, you're certainly turning into a jack of all trades!! Well done!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
You know the saying LTC, "Jack of all trades, but a master of none" :P

I missed Meg! Doesnt surprise me though. I dont know why but i've stopped checking hop reguraly for some reason. Havent been to interested in reading up on staff because thats one of those things that I can just do (regretfully that doesnt include contact staff, and doubles, which is why im back biggrin) and i've been leaning more torwards the glowsticking side of poi. *sigh* its me own fault.

Yup Americas big. I live in a hick town and am the only manipulator I know of around here. I guess that just means I'll have to creat my own juggling army! *ponders the dangers of contact pitchforking*
EDITED_BY: Twisthem488 (1149982305)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I made one.

https://mcp.tepookatoys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=11

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:

Yup Americas big. I live in a hick town and am the only manipulator I know of around here. I guess that just means I'll have to creat my own juggling army! *ponders the dangers of contact pitchforking*

i'd watch a video of that, or maybe just contact shovelling. that'd b crazy cause the point of balance would be off centre!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
yay for MCP *glomps* (whatever the heck that means)

imakokodemember
121 posts

Posted:
I've been practicing contact staff with really differents lenght, material, weight and grip, and I mostly agree with Meg, but still wandering what twiring sticks are made of and how the ù!àç they can do such amazing tricks with this totally opposit caracteristics ^^
Well thats supposed to mean if you are used to your staff and you don't get more contact tricks with it, it's maybe not because you have a bad staff lol ; think about twirling baton, and work more biggrin at least that what I tought.

Meast started with very light staves with bamboo and steel at the ends. that seem easyer indeed, but it's breakable ... Now he use quite the same staff (maybe a bit smaller) as MCP's.

I use a bigger and heavyer, and I cannot do this hoOoly JesuS christ!!! ... yet biggrin
All right, I'm gonna train with a lighter one wink

>> all is full of love <<

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
baton's are not totally opposite. They are just the same, but made in minature. They are very end weighted. (but they are allowed absolutely no grip.)

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
OK I've made it down to Sutherlands (Crappy hardware store) They had no aluminum so I had to settle for electrical conduit. Will this work ok? I got two sizes. 1/2" for doubles and 1" for contact, but now that I've cut the pipes to length, I think I might want 1/2" for my contact staff seeing as the 1" is pretty dang heavy. I couldnt find any leather so I got a few different things to try as grips. 2 raquet grips. One blue and about an inch wide. The other hot pink and about half an inch wide. I wish I could have felt them before I baught them. The other is a rubber tape. Its got this cool looking blue criss crossed design, but its not as grippy as I'd like. The backside however is better suited for a grip so I think the the rubber tape will be what I use for contact. It should be very grippy, durable, and more heat resistant. I should purchase silicon tape for my next one. So thats where I am right now. I need to order some kevlar, and find some screws (I should have some lying around that will work) And I think i'll be ready to put my staff all together.

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
make sure you fill the ends, i still haven't been arsed to dowel mine yet (1month+) and i'm paying dearly in burns, those hollow metal tubes get so hot! can't wait for a paycheque to clear

Twisthem488member
187 posts

Posted:
Yeah. I've found some dowel that fits perfectly in the 1/2" tubing. I think i'm going to scrap the 1" and make the contact staff out of the 1/2". Its lighter, and I've already got dowel for it. biggrin Does anyone know what type of metal electrical conduit is?

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
Ive tried making a contact staff and i messed it up a bit. the people who showed me how to do it are the best stick players ive ever seen (3 at once!). anyway, they said expanding foam is better than dowling through the core of the staff. i think its because the foam is a little lighter, which allows more weight to be on the ends making the stick move better.
My problem was trying to fill the tibe with foam, its sticky, deep and dries fast.
ive been trying to look for some instructions on the net but theres nothing.
is the wooden core good to play with?

TumbleHatBRONZE Member
journeyman
50 posts

Posted:
i've made a few contact staffs the same way and some for some unknown reason just spin better than others..it's really frustrating!!! i just want a smooth spinning staff!!! i'm assuming its about weight in each end to length ratio....any suggestions????

Why is a raven like a writing desk?

miestamember
101 posts

Posted:
im making a contact staff do daa do daa! happy days!
hope it turns out good.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Because I can't be arsed buying the dowel and sawing and sanding it, would it be feasible to use spare rolled up kavlar capped with tin foil for the end cores?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

acidchildBRONZE Member
117 posts

Posted:

Yeah. I've found some dowel that fits perfectly in the 1/2" tubing. I think i'm going to scrap the 1" and make the contact staff out of the 1/2". Its lighter, and I've already got dowel for it. biggrin Does anyone know what type of metal electrical conduit is?

If my memory severves me right conduit is usualy steel. It's heavyer but will work and shouldn't conduct heat as well. Not shure how it will be for contact though.

Too many secerets are locked in side your minds, but your all equal in life, equal in love. your all building castels in the sky dreaming of a better world.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
use aluminum 1 - 2.5 mill (sorry metric). You can always increase the weight with some tricks, but to reduce it usually substracts length.

Using steel means that you end up with a very thin stick... maybe up to yoru personal preference... I still want to have something nice and solid running through my hand...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

anti_finBRONZE Member
43 posts

Posted:
i know this doesnt really apply to this thread but i didnt want to start a new one so here goes.

i was wondering whether 4 inch wick on some 2 ft short staves that i'm planning on making would work.
Maybe 2 and a half foot staves, im still not sure. But i was wondering whether the flames would be too big, or staves too heavy cos im about to order a helluva lot of wick and i want to be sure on the right size.

and is aluminium the right metal to be using.

forever twirling, twirling towards victory

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
completely offtopic

UNfortunately I have misplaced my conversion table, but I guess you're talking about 10cm wick on 70cm long staff...

Meaning the handle is.... what? 40cm (1ft4in)???

How much wick?

But basically I'd say: yupp... too hot.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink