Forums > Social Chat > Zen and symbiosis in twirling/juggling

Login/Join to Participate

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
A thread in the Other Toys discussion got me thinking (and remebering) about some of the brief encounters I've had with people who do any of the same juggling arts I do.

Like meeting someone who does Diablo and being able to play games like each person getting 1 diablo spinning and doing switches by throwing to each other at the same time - or even just 1 diablo between 2 people where 1 person does a trick and passes it.

Or doing a great unison poi routine or even just feeding off another persons style and matching each others flow and rhythm.

Or pass juggling with someone

Or (this I haven't had the pleasure to play with anyone yet) is a game called Jollystick (rules can be found on www.devilstick.de . It's more cometitive in nature but you get one handstick each and one devilstick between 2 people and play (basically) badminton with the devilstick.

All these experiences for me have kind of been (in a nonsexual way) like making intense love to someone in that when you hit a rhythm and match the person you feel joined - kind of forming a symbiotic relationship with the person (or people) you are performing with. We've all kind of discussed the meditative effects of these arts before which are really wonderful. When doing the same thing *with* someone else it adds a really nice dimension and adds a closeness with that person not often shared with anyone. And (kind of like sex) it doesn't feel that way with everyone you interact with or even everytime you play with some people but when you do find that, isn't it really cool?

Sorry for the 'peace love and mungbeans' rant. Feeling sappy and missing interaction with nuts who play with fire or throw things around. Just thought I'd see whether people felt that same 'connected' feeling with people they spun/juggled with.

Cheers

[ 27. January 2003, 16:33: Message edited by: BEZERKER ]

Jelloambiguous
646 posts

Posted:
Once again I refer back to my dream of poi'ing in unision with my soulmate... I can imagine it'd be wonderful but I don't know from experience.

primative_toyshappy hunting
228 posts

Posted:
i trained with my roommate of late out on our balcony looking out overr the beautiful town of brisvegas and we started to replicate styles and feed off rhythem and evn began to to double passes as if we were trying to make each other mess up, but by the end of a couple of attempts we figures we have to catch the other staff coming at you or u get burnt.. great motivation... but yeah iits fun and really throws another aspect of skill into the mix..
happyhunting
mythmitch

regret nothing, learn everything

fire_light_movement

Magnusmember
279 posts

Posted:
my mate and I spent yesterday afternoon tossing a flaming club and firestaff to each other.

it was fun, but we have a way to go before symbiosis

Magnus... pay it forward

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
ahh yez, it's a crazy feelin, like you're brain lokked with someone. It helps if you're doing it with fire, as the extra danger tends to heighten how much of a link you have with the partner/z. Even alone, least for me, there's a tranquility that comes, you stop thinking and let rhythym and instinct just take over, and simply clear your head. Walking meditation for me..

The most intense was workin on a routine where I was spinning in the middle of two fire jugglers and they would pass every once in a while. There wasn't much room for error, n we were concentrating so hard to keep in unison the balance(for lack of a better word) became almost tangible, and no one wanted to upset it.

Then me n a friend a while back would do a show where we were spinning with extremely short chains and throwing poi to each other. trikky shit, esp since it was such a small bar, heh..

First time I really noticed it tho was a while back with a friend of mine when we were working on different trixx for two people using poi. A couple of the moves we were spinning as close to each other as we could, and there was this perceptable shift when both of us relaxed and stopped thinking and just let instinct take over. It was like we shared the same mind, everything else just kind of slipped away..love that feelin

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

musashiistarring Skippy the green llama
1,148 posts

Posted:
doh, server hiccup...

[ 28. January 2003, 05:20: Message edited by: musashii ]

First intention, then enlightenment..
Ars Pyronomica

" Life is programmed. Whether death is programmed or not is yet to be determined."

ChennyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
I understand what you mean. When I'm pass juggling with someone who has good control I sometimes stike a rythem and the bond is intense. I wouldn't go as far as sex but it is sensational. I love doing it. And even when I'm doing some fire spinning with a few people I know, I almost get thrown into a moment where we're all together as one, we're our own world, the fire brings the playground and we can play all night. It's beautiful if you do it with people you fell connected with.

Woo. fire ubblove

juggle

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
The [censored]?

When I pass juggle and the pattern works nicely, it feels like a good juggle. I get a sense of satisfaction, but nothing to more than a "Tom, you're brilliantly amazing at juggling, keep up the good work fella!". Same with solo-juggling. No intense bond.

Willy - is bad for your health...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
This is what, 3 years old?

Wooo for necro-posting!

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
So if you had a 4 or more person passing (juggling) pattern, would that be like an orgy or something?

Having said that passing with another person is an intermite experience and builds a bond that is different from talking. Sure is good fun, and i do like doing it with sexy women. If only more sexy women juggled...

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ickleMatt

So if you had a 4 or more person passing (juggling) pattern, would that be like an orgy or something?

ubblol ... and solo-juggling is like masturbation.
rolleyes

Written by:

Having said that passing with another person is an intermite experience and builds a bond that is different from talking. Sure is good fun, and i do like doing it with sexy women. If only more sexy women juggled...

I don't find passing an intimate experience. Especially since 90% of the people I've passed with are guys.

ickleMattenthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Do you find uncomfortable have an intimate experience with a guy?

I find this odd. Can we not be intimate with a sex with which we are not attracted?

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
it would then be a plutonic intimacy? no?

Just call me Pop.

1,019 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ickleMatt

Do you find uncomfortable have an intimate experience with a guy?

Yes. Especially in the way - "like making intense love to someone" - bezerker describes!

DutSILVER Member
lurker
380 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pop_n_fresh

it would then be a plutonic intimacy? no?

plutonic just means igneous rock i thought... plAtonic would be better, if everyone didn't use the term incorrectly. if you've read the Symposium tho, it's taken for granted by classics' scholars that platonic desire didn't orignally proclude sex at all. erotic desire was caused by the wish for fulfillment of physical desires and platonic by the wish for fulfillment of intellectual desires. in those times, tho, both were good reasons for a little old fashioned Greeking...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platonic_love

with all that said, i still feel a little uncomfortable trying to do doubles poi with boys too. it's gotten too much like dancing for me...

ChennyBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:

"plutonic just means igneous rock i thought..."

Maybe the plutonic spelling was on purpose.

Get it? Ignious rock, fire? eh? eh?

Haha.

juggle