Forums > Technical Discussion > Help on making a custom fire roapdart

Login/Join to Participate

VasquazBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Hey all! I was wondering if I could get some help on selecting the right parts before ordering and building a fire ropedart.

First off, for peeople who don't know what a ropedart is, its basically a long length of chain with a weighted tip on one end. Basically a single really long poi.

Right. My personal specs were a 2.5" monkey fist on around 44"-45" of chain, plus a handle (which I may have to custom make -- I want a single 5" nylon loop to fit into my palm).

What I need to know is what type of chain I should use, and what links/joins I need to fit it all together, as I'm not entirely sure which part goes where on the different chains.

Also, does HoP make custom handles? If not, I'm sure I can find some ballistic nylon lying around somewhere ^_^

Thanks!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Why not use rope instead of chain?
It'll be much nicer on your hands and wont weigh one metric tonne.

umm

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Here's my rig:

Non-Https Image Link

About 10' of 4mm rope, 1' of chain and a BIG 3 1/2" diameter monkey fist, all tied together with 250lb.+ split rings\quick links and a swivel.

The rope length will depend on your arm length and what you feel comfortable spinning. weavesmiley

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
NOTE: Only use that thin of a rope if you don't mind tearing your fingers and whatever body parts you wrap around to pieces. wink

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

VasquazBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Wow, mtbeer, thats huge O.O"

Mmm... I have two reasons not to use a rope, and they're both pretty pedantic lol!

One, I've practiced with a rope-bound RD before, and I just can't seem to get used to the weighting of it. I've tried an XL poi before and found that the heavieness was something that I found a sort of comfort in.

Two (this is the REALLY pedantic one), is that I don't like the way it wraps when I join two lengths of materials together as the join gives it a bit more dynamic movement, which annoys me to no end =/

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fireNice

NOTE: Only use that thin of a rope if you don't mind tearing your fingers and whatever body parts you wrap around to pieces. wink

Heh, yeah I still have a number of holes in my hands from spinning it at PDF. I'm using a right hand glove now which makes a world of difference.

Vasquaz, you said you use about 45" of chain? That's quite short, it's closer to the size of a nine section whip. Ideally, for rope darts, you want to loop the end of the rope/chain on your left hand, hold the chain straight across your body with the right hand (both arms fully extended horizontally to your right and left) and the dart or wick should just touch the ground. That length will allow you to perform the majority of dart moves and give you the best range. Launching a fireball 12 feet and 20+ foot fire circles can be impressive.

I'm not saying short is bad, there are tons of cool moves you can do with a nine section whip and many of them are the same or similar to rope dart moves but the extra length gives you more versatility.

If you are sticking with the nine section whip size then full chain instead of rope is probably the way to go. Longer darts will definitely benefit from the lighter rope.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

VasquazBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
Wow you guys have been really helpful, thanks!!!

Last two questions, and I'll promise to stop being a pain =)

What type of chain do you recommend? There are three types that I think are suitable, but I'm not too sure how heavy they would be.. the 15# ball chain, the SS oval and the Nickle plated steel oval. I'm leaning towards the oval chains, since I'm familliar with them, but feel free to voice your opinion on them!

Lastly, for something like this, is it nessesary to include a swivel in the design? Would it make a huge difference if i did or did not include it?

Thanks sooo much guys!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
I use twist oval link chain but it's really up to you. I would however recommend stainless steel for it's corrosive resistance. The oval link chain here at HoP is super beefy and fine for nine section whip size lengths but a bit extreme for anything longer.

The swivel helps out quite a bit for heavier fire heads and even more so if you plan on big circular burnoffs. If you are using a small to medium size fire head or ball chain you can do without the swivel.

happy spinning devil