Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > BBC SEEKS UK BASED FIRE POI PERFORMERS

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BBCTVnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
The BBC is looking for fire poi performers and groups based in the south of England to take part in a world record breaking performance live on primetime BBC1.

If you and/ or your group are interesting in taking part and would be available on the 22nd July 2006 contact us for more details

Email: liz.collier@bbc.co.uk
Or call 020 8 752 6623

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Definatly interested! bounce

Could we have some more details? Location of event? Is it paid? Or would we be giving you our time for free?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I'll speak to the rest of Burnt toast for you guys... (in case you check this thread, it's www.burnttoast.co.uk) and see what we can do for you, that is, if they don't get here first... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Email sent. smile

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
one sent here too biggrin

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'm interested as to what this record is....

You know we're doing one at play...?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BBCTV email reply

Thanks for your email. We are indeed hoping to set the world record for most poi
fire spinner at once, and it will form part of a special dance programme
broadcast live from Trafalgar Square in London on Saturday 22nd July. It will
be a unique event that will mark the culmination of a week of dance and
performance events across the country and will bring dance and performance, in
all it's forms, to a BBC1 Saturday night audience of millions.

The poi record is as yet unset and I am starting research into the feasibility
of setting this brand new Guinness world record live as part of the event. We
are hoping to find 40+ fire poi performers based in the to take part in a short
choreographed piece. Unfortunately we are not able to pay performers, but hope
that this will be a fun and reward event to be part of and will help bring the
art of poi to a large audience.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Thats a little wierd.............

we need more than 40 at Play then folks ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
We'll never do it... ubblol

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
it's alright, I think we're going for different things anyway...I've just talked to her about play helping out in some way...

more later, but this sounds really interesting and I'm looking forward to it a lot smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
how cheap is that??? gotta love the way event coordinators always seem to want fire for free

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i agree ben frown

its also a bit of a shame that the bbc has planned a programme of dance performance planned, yet all they want poi performers for is to "do loads of fire at the end".

it presents poi as more of a dance gimmick than an art in its own right... shrug

although, i shouldn't assume - maybe there will be a professional poi dance performance as part of the main programme and this mass burn will function as a finale smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Otherwise they would have to pay 40+ people. rolleyes

Oh wait.. how much does the BBC get in revenue every year from licence fees? umm wink

Written by: The BBC site

Last year, TV Licensing collected £2,940 million in revenue for the BBC, which is an increase of £142 million on the previous year. Of this, £80 million was due to inflation, £43 million to the above inflation increases in the licence fee and £19 million from collection improvements

ubblol ubblol ubblol

https://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2005/10_october/11/lf.shtml

I'll still do it for free though...

when hell freezes over. ubblol

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
yeah, but Jonathan Ross gets most of that...

Talking to her, I think she is really just testing what the reaction would be like and trying to find out if they can do it. I don't think they are interested in just showing poi as a "dance gimmick" at all.

She said it was something the arts council was putting on over a whole seek, and the BBC wanted to set a new record as part of it. They want fire because it's more dramatic, but non-fire I think would be ok.

I don't want to start talking for the BBC at all - but having just talked to Liz I think they are coming from the right place and going about it in the right way.

I back them up 100% smile

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
Only 40? There's 500 at Burning Man, spinning at the same time!

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ooh this sounds fun, I might get some new handles on my fire poi and join in smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
ooooo. Ace.

Gonna try and see if I can make it biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
ditto And i can bring some more people biggrin

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
sounds lovely and i hope it goes well. However i (and lots of other Bristol people) shall be here:

[Old link]

Gayle.....!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Firetramp

Shhhhhhhhh!!!! ubbangel

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
there's no denying that its is a cool idea and it would have the massive advantage of presenting poi as a performace dance form rather than as a 'circus skill'.

non-fire would indeed make the most sense but somehow, i don't think this is what they are looking for...

an important consideration is that to do this with fire, all participants would need to have fully paid up pli - not to mention the safety aspects of coordinating a mass burn live on national tv.

i would love to see it happen though - especially since the trafalgar square bylaws don't permit us to spin there normally smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Written by: Firetramp

Shhhhhhhhh!!!! ubbangel

now i am confussed, so they set the record, then go beat it again at a festival like burning man? confused

253 posts

Posted:
hold on, this is might be a stoopid idea, but why not ask the BBC if they want to come to PLAY and film a little of that. they will get a better picture of the growth of poi etc.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Thats exactly what I thought
Why try to get everyone to London, when we could just get the film crew to PLAY - it would be great advirtising for Dunc, the festy could get paid.
There would be guarenteed more people as part of this record and we could probably get away with people spinning that didnt have PLI.
Just as an aside, or maybe to give this idea a back-up:
Why are the BBC NOT paying? - they have massive amounts of money, im sure they will be paying all the other performers, who are taking part in this week long event - and if its going out to a Saturday night audience it must have a big budget. I say boycott the London thing (why does everything have to revolve around there - surely its alot better to get it more regional - PLAY!) and get them to shift their arses (and massive wallets) up to PLAY.
Dont let the powers rule you, let them film you on your terms - especially if theyre not paying........
Wow - I havent had a rant like that in ages!!!!!!
- Fight the Power, only joking.........
or am I

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

253 posts

Posted:
sorry must say, i like the way BBCTV is reged:06.06.06 MUHAHAHAHA

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
If there's no payment involved, does every individual need insurance, or will the BBC's insurance cover it?

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
more importantly:

BBCTV
Member #35481

BBC = NOOB!

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
1) Play IS having the BBC filming the attempt.
2) It's not the same record.
3) As I said before, they are getting a feel for what people think about it, and asking people to contact them for more info. I think they want to start talking to people about it rather then just getting a load of people to come along for free.

Why don't we all just think of this as a good thing, that will get poi on TV in a cool way, rather than slagging them off before they have started?

It would be nice if they come back to us here. I did ask about PLI, and they don't know what the situation is yet.

Has the BBC done something bad to you guys in the past? Am I missing something? I think this is a cool idea confused

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

I'll still do it for free though...

thats cos ur a fire tramp kiss

id say itd be worthwhile someone coordinating with the bbc on hops behalf to negotiate fuel/travel reimbursements at the very least, it seems a bit like [Old link]

Sym i agree it is a cool idea. the slightly negative reaction is simply due to the fact that large scale productions have large budgets, the ppl who work on the set get paid, the costume designers get paid, the makeup artists get paid, the cast get paid, the cleaners get paid etc etc yet they never seem to have any money for fire spinning.

"We are hoping to find 40+ fire poi performers based in the to take part in a short choreographed piece. Unfortunately we are not able to pay performers"

so im guessing its fair to say that since its choreographed its going to have some rehersals, play is play a shows a show, personally when im asked to do a highly skilled task thats not play i expect to be paid.
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1149607014)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: sym

Why don't we all just think of this as a good thing, that will get poi on TV in a cool way, rather than slagging them off before they have started?

who slagged who off? confused

i'm sure we all think that poi on tv is a good thing smile

we just don't think that a poor representation of it would be a good thing, nor would poi performers being taken advantage of, so we're trying to make sure that isn't what's happening here.

there's no inherent problem with this idea at all but it is only fair to pose the same questions to the bbc as we would anyone else who made a request like this.

however, there is often an assumption attached to circus performers in that they will perform for free because they love what they do and it seems this assumption is in full effect here...

i echo what ben just said - if you want quality performers, you have to pay for them.

a television producer should know this better than anyone.

if the request stated that the bbc had had a cool idea and was looking for people to talk to about it, that would be cool.

but it didn't, it said 'we want a 40 person, chreographed fire show - for free.'

that's just not quite cricket in my book.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
I agree with ben and cole

They can't be bothered to pay, why should i bother to show? shrug

world record ubblol surely we've had over double that at Falmouth.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Page: