Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > BBC SEEKS UK BASED FIRE POI PERFORMERS

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BBCTVnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
The BBC is looking for fire poi performers and groups based in the south of England to take part in a world record breaking performance live on primetime BBC1.

If you and/ or your group are interesting in taking part and would be available on the 22nd July 2006 contact us for more details

Email: liz.collier@bbc.co.uk
Or call 020 8 752 6623

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
nope smile hang on, I'll go and read it.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ok i read it, basically people are saying the same things they're saying in here.
It's the same with reiki healing- you can give it away for free out of goodwill and charity or you can recieve £20 an hour, and earn a living from it. Both are ok smile
I do think it's harsh of big corporations to rip off fire spinners, but all you have to do is say "no thanks". smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
except with doing reiki for free there's no risk of flaming death live on weekend primetime bbc...

i maintain that a corporation requesting firespinning performances for free is hurtful not only to the livelihoods of professional and semi-professional fire performers, but is also potentially harmful to the state of the art and the public's perception of it.

if you disagree or if neither of those things concern you, then there's no problem with what was being asked for smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
What if spinning was classed as dance and we were a small part of a dance forum. If this post had been made to that forum, then they would be asking dancers of any style to take part. The fact that we have a type of dance that has more danger than many others is *our* choice. I think that is where they are coming from. We are the ones who want to spin fire, so it's not like they are asking us to do anything more than our chosen hobby.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
good point Cole. if they weren't paying me and i span fire and set a whole load of people on fire (hopefully i wouldnt be THAT terrible!) who would be at fault? them or me?

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
them, i think you should blame them if you set a lot of people on fire, because even if they're not paying you, they have responsibility as the event organisers to make sure that it's a safe environment for the people involved, watching and taking part. I also think they should perform safety checks on all the fire poi being used, and provide a health and safety briefing. Even if everyone there already knows, i still think that if they are going to get the credit for the organisation of such an event, they should also take full responsibility for what happens there. Especially, for the most part, none of us can possibly say we have had 'formal training' in how to do poi, at least not in the way that, for example, ballet dancers would have had, so if they are going to ask a lot of people to turn up and do their hobby for an event, then they should be aware that not all of those people will necessarily be aware of fire safety issues or take heed of them.... If they were asking for professionals who would be paid, then yes they can expect that, but they're not, really. HoP consists of a mixture of both, and i should think that by posting on an internet forum, they have issued a general request for spinners, otherwise they should've/would've targeted specific troups... maybe?

what was my point? oh yes, i think that by the way they have gone about it, they know they are going to get 'amateurs' (not implying anything, but it's the opposite of professionals) for this event, as they are the ones who will do it unpaid, so they should expect a range of levels of skill and safety knowledge and if anything goes wrong, it's down to them... that's how i see it anyway. shrug If it's successful it could be extremely good fun, and it's probably the best way to make a record like this to have an hugely important and influential broadcasting corporation as the organisers, just in case anything does go wrong wink once we've seen how it's done, we can organise the breaking of stated record again next year smile

this might have already been said, i only read the last few posts, so apologies if i'm repeating

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
On saftey things, they did talk to me about it, and asked quite a few questions. I pointed them in the direction of the great info on HoP, and the videos about how to spin fire (back yard spinners or something...?)

They wanted to hire someone to manage everyone, and saftey, I'm sure, would have been looked in to very well. They would care about covering themselfs, even if they didn't care about us (I'm sure they do though).

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

For once, I'm agreeing with that loveable tyke, Brit_Joe! eek ubblol

QUOTE QUOTE QUOTE - This will never happen again, everybody read it! *points*

biggrin redface biggrin

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ubblol hug awwww, you loveable tyke, you!!! biggrin

BBCTVnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Dear All,

I just wanted to update you that unfortunately we will not be able to stage the Fire Poi world record in Trafalgar Square as part of the BBC Event on 22nd July.
Thank you for all your comments (both positive and negative), suggestions and advice on this forum, which helped massively with our research into staging this very ambitious record attempt, and particularly to Sym who help field a great deal of the research questions.

Unfortunately the safety and logistical concerns of staging such a record in Trafalgar Square (which will already be filled with 2500+ dancers, who are all taking part in the world record attempt for mass choreography) mean that an attempt would not be possible and certainly extremely tricky to do live..

Thanks again to all who volunteered and offered comment and good luck to all those who are taking part in the Play festival record attempt.

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
bye

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Thanks for coming back and letting us know ubbrollsmile

Far better than not bothering and leaving everyone with an uneasy feeling of uncertainty and doubt and a general air of having no idea whats going on and and and and and and. confused

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

Thanks for coming back and letting us know ubbrollsmile

thank-you indeed smile

good luck with the show! hug

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
ditto

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
well that's a shame, it did seem like a bit of a mission, of course you could have people doing poi with tails...... umm

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
lol world record for the biggest tangle of tails??

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

FrodoBRONZE Member
old hand
1,092 posts

Posted:
The bbc paid all travel expenses and gave us fourty quid, for the fire breathing world record....

But its not happening, so dont worry! biggrin
EDITED_BY: Frodo (1150558736)

passing through, this world still lives.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I just danced along to the time warp in the living room with my mum biggrin

Lets dooo the tiiime waaaarp again! ubblol

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Well that was abit poo wasnt it, the cameras were moving too much you never saw any good dancing from the groups, and no fire? Bah. That might have saved them if they had gone with it

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
dam i was at work

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions