Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > BBC SEEKS UK BASED FIRE POI PERFORMERS

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
BBCTVnewbie
2 posts

Posted:
The BBC is looking for fire poi performers and groups based in the south of England to take part in a world record breaking performance live on primetime BBC1.

If you and/ or your group are interesting in taking part and would be available on the 22nd July 2006 contact us for more details

Email: liz.collier@bbc.co.uk
Or call 020 8 752 6623

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Fair enough guys, I'd rather do it than worry about getting paid for a skilled job.

Play can't pay people, we're actually asking people to pay to do it, but no one has said they have a problem with it...

Does this mean that you goys wont be taking part in the attempt at play? It'd be a shame...

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
This is the same time as Ashton Court Festival....

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
we are all going to be at play already for reasons other than the record attempt though so it is far less of an ask.

and play are not requesting performers, nor that the burn be choreographed are they?

if a group of spinners at a convention is asked if they'd like to go for a world record while they're there, that's cool.

requesting that performers turn up to provide a free grand finale for a national tv channels' outside live broadcast is not the same thing.

besides, didn't you say that they were different records anyway - maybe that difference makes all the difference (if you see what i mean)? smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Yep afraid so I've emailed her anyway asking for more details as we could possilbly get they for when it gets dark. but unless there's money or some good publicity I dout i'll do it shrug

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
the difference between the bbc production and play is quite simply the bbc has a huge budget whereas play doesnt, the ppl producing the bbc production are doing it cos they get paid, play is run by fireys who dont get paid but do it for the love of the art.

im sure that if play was in its 10th year of running making huge profits and performers where being asked to pay for the privilidge itd be a different kettle of fish.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: BBCTV

The BBC is looking for fire poi performers and groups based in the south of England to take part in a world record breaking performance live on primetime BBC1.

Now, you see, as many would say, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind man.

But this is not the right context for that saying so forget I wrote it.

You see, the actual world record trying to be broken is "The largest number of baby aligators down your trousers in a minute* and I believe that the spinners are needed for excitement in the background.

So in other words, it may not be a spinning world record.

Which seems a bit wierd.. umm

shrug

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Although I ranted abit - I dont think I slagged anyone off.

The crux of it for me, is that its a big, nay massive company, - the BBC, who are asking for 'performers'. It is not PLAY festival who are providing a great event for spinners, for very little money being asked. The will, im sure, be spending alot of (licence payers) money on this event - cleaners included (pertinent Ben). PLAY are risking their own and probably wont be making anything

Its great to ask what we think - I am expressing what I think:

I think, nay I know!! that they wouldnt expect anyone from the BBC, or their subcontractors, to do something for free. As Coleman said one it is a BIG problem in this business, that agents, promotors, and even the British Broadcasting company, want something for nothing - and by the looks of a relatively large number of people on here - they can get it. Well, when they can get it why would they pay for it? and when they dont pay for it how do we professional performers earn a living?

I am all for Poi and other spinning arts getting TV coverage (what real impact this has upon encouraging more people into spinning, I would question?). The BBC appears to be wanting to promote dance and the arts, well if they are wanting to encourage the arts, surely this should also mean paying the artists?

I would also question how a world record attempt, of people spinning Poi is really an 'artistic' endevour? Surely employing one of the troupes on here such as SOLAR (blatant, tongue-in-cheek plug!!!......or is it:) ) to perform one of their choreographed shows would impress the Public more than a large number of people standing in the fountains spinning Fire?!

I dont think ive ever seen a really good Fire performance on TV. Now that would really make people sit up and go

'that looks great..and theyre look really professional...with nice costumes, and you can tell theyve put 100's of hours of practice in and theyre choreographys amzing and how technical they are, whilst still creating a beautiful spectacle with such a dangerous and awe inspriing element such as Fire'! and whats more they might even say 'im glad that some of my licence fee is being spent on something as beautiful as this, which ive never seen before, and im also glad to be indirectly contributing to these artists lives' and maybe their kid would be inspired and say ' wow thats wicked I want to have a go at that and be like them' instead of going 'oh look theirs loads of hippys stood around the fountains with Fire...but look at that statue without the arms blah, blah, blah!!'

I could go on but its been said before Please read the crusty demons link [Old link]

It really says it all

There is money out there and whilst people do it for free, we find it increasingly difficult to survive doing this job, which means eventually we have to get a different job and that doesnt really inspire me or anyone else

Rant over - sorry

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But then again...
I dont read things properly ubblol

redface

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Play festival

We will be trying to set a new record for the biggest choreographed fire spin

https://www.playfestival.co.uk/guiness_world_record

Oh well guys, I'm not interested in carrying on with this. I really don't see it as a problem, and you guys do shrug

I hope there are enough people who don't have a problem with it for them to put it on.

hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
After having read that Crusty Demons link, I have changed my mind and will never perform for free again unless the is good reason to (charity event etc).

I will gladly help out with the Play record attempt though...seeing as I will be at Play anyway. But spending money on a company that gets more money in a day, than I will recieve in my life, let alone for a Saturday night prime time TV program by one of the biggest broadcasting corporations in the world, for no financial reimbursement... thats just plain stupid.

shrug

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Oh well guys, I'm not interested in carrying on with this. I really don't see it as a problem, and you do

i guess that means this discussion is over then tongue wink

i hope you do understand the differences between what the bbc is asking for and what you guys have planned for play because they are not insignificant at all.

as firenix's post and the other thread referenced here shows, requests like those from the bbc have real negative effects on the state of the art.

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
To be honest Sym this thread is the first I'd heard of any world record attempt being planned for Play. Maybe I don't pay enough attention shrug

I feel that the BBC are hoping that the lure of becoming a world record holder and the publics love of their 15mins of fame will lure people into doing this for free. Well actually it won't be free as they will have to pay their own travel costs to london and for the provision of poi and fuel by the looks of it.

Are they going to audition people first to be sure they know what they are doing with fire and poi? If not, anyone could turn up claiming to be able to spin and have a go. If they are wanting a choreographed show then they will have to audition... more travelling, more cost.

This is all above and beyond the arguement of people working for free taking the money out of the pockets of professional fire troupes.

I think the BBC are looking to get a cheap, if not free fire show all based on the "Oooooooooo look at me Mum! I'm on the Telly making a new World Record!" factor. I don't think that's really very respectful of people who train hard and work hard to make a living with Fire shows. If they want a fire show let them pay for it.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mr_widdeat my face before i eat yours
253 posts

Posted:
found this https://www.bbc.co.uk/newtalent/allsorts/dancing/
this is the event as far as i can see, but i see nothing about fire spinners there. i just think there after a free bit of extra entertainment. Boycott them i say! or at least say that if its about dance to reconise poi spinners and such as as dancers too.
EDITED_BY: nickwidd (1149616514)

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
not wishing to add fuel to the fire but taken from the above link:

Written by: bbc

We're on a mission to get Britain dancing, and break a world record while we're at it. Everyone can join in on the day, but every dance needs a lead. That's where you come in.

So, still don't know what the world record is shrug

and this is gonna really get your goat:

the six dancers picked to dance along side the "professionals" get:

Written by: bbc

The six dancers will also receive funding towards further dance training and development.

So, can somebody actually find out what they are trying to achieve.

Gayle.....!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Just like to add a point made by my friend ZeeBoo and picked up on on this thread. I presume they will audition people (at their own expence) to make sure that evryine taking part is proficient and safe. Becuase (perish the thought!) if anything untoward were to happen (and i'm sure the vast majority of HOP-ers would make as sure as possible that nothing would), but if someone wasnt safe and had some kind of accident, on national TV - how would this promote Poi/spinning?
Us professionals are trained, have insurance and countless hours of prctaice and performance. With the best will in the world, will people who are willing to do this for free, have the same concientious approach?

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I think this is what they are doing:

https://www.artscouncil.org.uk/bigdance/

Skully, the record is in the whats on section of the web site, and I think we put it in a news letter. It will be in the welcome pack you get on the gate as well.

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
Check this out (from the link above):

"The week will climax with a weekend of special events in Trafalgar Square on Saturday 22 and Sunday 23 July. On Saturday, The Big Dance will attempt to set a world record for a piece of mass choreography with the greatest number of dance styles performed to one track of music. "

By the sounds of it, what they are asking would be a nightmare to choreograph, if we had other dancers to worry about, and obviously little space for kit.
I think a throwaway comment by part of the production teammay have sparked this (excuse the pun), without much thought atall, i mean if they havent even looked into pli yet.........

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hmm well the world record as far as i know is held by burningman for the most choreorgraphed fire spinners. I think they limited it to 500. Very strict about auditioning proficient spinners. I span in the conclave in 2002 and i had to jump thru al sorts of hoops. Then i think 2003 they did a choreorgraphed piece with 500 spinners.

So 40 seems weird, but then i guess the official guiness person wouldn't have been at BM and the 1000 or so video cameras are just circumstantial evidence. Without 500 people at least i don't see how any claim can be made tho???

I suggest choreorgraphing the piece BEFORE the event. Some people need to decide on the piece, make it very simple, film it, get it online. Then at least most people will know it by the time they get their.

I think it's great that the beeb are into the idea. Very weird not to offer expenses tho. I really hate that kinda thing, it's quite insulting really. But that just seems to be the way poi is for some reason.

Great news that it's gonna be held at play. That rocks.

procrastination over, cup of tea 2 on it's way, then i might start work wink

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

Am I missing something? I think this is a cool idea confused

Seconded.. I'm in smile

Cake or Death?

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Wasn't there just a world record poi attempt in New Zealand, with real live Maori people doing poi? eek
EDITED_BY: DeepSoulSolas (1149753188)

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

afghan_bingoSILVER Member
116 posts

Posted:
just poi?? no staff??!?

we were somewhere near barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Erm....this is a DANCE record and not a fire/spinning record. Poi and/or fire spinning is just a small part of the whole record so why do folks KEEP going on about it?! shrug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Aimee's reply from the beeb

We are indeed hoping to set the world record for most poi fire spinner at once, and it will form part of a special dance programme
broadcast live from Trafalgar Square in London on Saturday 22nd July.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Firetrampold hand
898 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

I'll still do it for free though...

thats cos ur a fire tramp kiss

Uhm, excuse me? *Looks confused*

Ask a question and be a fool for a minute...don't ask and be a fool your whole life.

muddnewbie
9 posts

Posted:
sounds like fun to me..... a little cheeky on the beebs part but fruk it. it could bring some notoriaty our way.

one q tho..
how they gonna coriograph? 40+ people....?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you read the rest of this thread?
Or just read the first post then decided to reply to that? wink
ubblol

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
sounds kewl, i'm interested... depending on how complex the routine is tho redface cos I aint top notch ubblol

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:

Or just read the first post then decided to reply to that? wink
ubblol

I thought that's how hop worked? wink

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Why wouldnt it? HOP being on the internet brings us noteiety, who dosent have the internet these days? Were only a google away

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:

After having read that Crusty Demons link, I have changed my mind and will never perform for free again unless the is good reason to (charity event etc).

I will gladly help out with the Play record attempt though...seeing as I will be at Play anyway. But spending money on a company that gets more money in a day, than I will recieve in my life, let alone for a Saturday night prime time TV program by one of the biggest broadcasting corporations in the world, for no financial reimbursement... thats just plain stupid.

shrug

You only perform if you get paid? The bbc has lots of money yes but if you decide not to take part just becausr you wont get paid the only thing that will do is make you miss an oppertunity to be part of something to remember, and have a really good time in an enviroment with a great atmosphere and be loads of fun. Your only making yourself miss out n having fun, meeting some nice people, getting to hang out with hoppers who also go along.

Ide love to do this but im too far from london. You can wag your fingers at this all you like and pull a sour face but you'll be the only one missing out, the worst thing would be the cost to travel to london but this is a community of people who travel to all sorts of places for a day(s) out (PLAY, Conventions, Meets, Invasions) which all costs but you cant say its not worth it, and fuel costs what like 3.99 for a full tub of parrafin from garages.

Get of your high horses and have some fun you only live once.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Page: