gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
When you are doing how do you spin it constantly infront of you. Have seen many people just passing from hand to hand and rotating their wrists on the way round like in the instructions. I do it differently. What I do is the same as normal but instead of rotating my wrist on my left hand I allow the staff to simpy role ove the back of my hand keeping my palm facing the ground at all times. Once I have done this I pass it over to the right and back again like normal ( shocked to much info V.confusing sorry) Is this wrong and should I go about learning the other way. I am very compfortable with this method and can do it at speed,any tipsdiscuss guys, peace outgarbo tongue[This message has been edited by garbo (edited 03 May 2001).]

be excellent to each other: safe:

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I would say nothing is wrong. Rolling the staff over the hand is a very good skill to have. Try rolling over the right hand as well and in both directions. Don't forget to learn passing one hand to the other, too. Learn as many ways of doing the same thing as possible, then figure out which is best for what situations. Learning both techniques will make you a more flexible performer and add to your ability to improvise. Rock on!Diana

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Cheers Dimuch helppeace outgarbo tongue

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Garbo - that technique is great, and from a purely personal perspective, I think it looks smoother. Probly better for your twirling vocabulary to learn both however - with the gripped turn / change, I find it easier to change plane and do things like that - so I guess horses for Courses?have you tried throws off the back of your hand? Really nice and flowing looking smileI'm working on catching with the back of the hand at the mo...got any tips?Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Hey Josh, hmm I do have some tips for you, but it takes alot of practice, i can successfully catch just about anything on the back of my hand due to practice, as I have been learning contact juggling. I would reccomend starting with a pool ball, and just practice throwing the ball up, and down, catching it like it was an egg, on the back of your hand, do it with both hands, a staff is much harder as it rolls, but with alot of practice you can catch on the back of your hand, like it was your palm. Anyways, visit www.contactjuggling.org for more info about CJ.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
thanks Orbital - I've been amazed at the vids on contact juggling.org, but I'm still getting my head around standard juggling (along with my staff and poi twirling) - so I think I'll wait a while for contact.I'll try the pool ball trick anyhow - so that I can apply the theory to my poi twirling smileJosh

Endangered Sanitymember
164 posts

Posted:
I cant't do much with staff, but i have this trick where i throw the staff up, ctach it on my foot, then throw it back up to my hands. It's really fun to do smile

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts

Posted:
Cheers (as all ways ) guyspeace outgarbo tongue