Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Not a finished thought:

So angel rolls (in the vertical plane) have four variations:

The angel roll
The angel roll that travels over the throat.
The frontside angel roll (requires an extra beat)
the frontside angel roll that travels over the neck.
the four beat angel roll.

Therefore steve’s should have those variations.

the steve
the steve that travels over the chest
the steve that does an extra beat and does a thoat wrap
the steve that does an extra beat and does a halo.
The four beat steve.

But the other steve variations:

The minimal beat steve,
the continuous. aspect of all steves.
The arms in wheel plane aspect.

can these be done with angel rolls?

Is the minimal beat steve just a equivalent to the frontside angel roll?

So the ‘full steve’ is just a steve and then a horizontal angel roll that goes across the throat on the way back.

So there could be a ‘low fat’ steve that does a minimal steve then a true horizontal angel on the way back.

After that you get to something I was told in america. That the difference between an angel roll and a steve is no just that they go up your arms in different directions, but that they travel in opposite direction spirals on your arms.

Now thinking about it, they obviously don’t travel in spirals / helixes, as that would require some crazy arm propelloring. They inscribe a wave or a squiggly line on the tops of your arms. Nor indeed do they travel in opposite directions up your arms, that was my brain making fun of me. They essentially travel a different route up your arms. Their waves are out of sync. Like Trigonometry. Hmmmm Trigonometry.

They also start out of different hand wraps. a vertical steve starts from the pinky side and comes over the wrist. An angel roll starts from just plaining coming out of the thumb side.

What does it all mean?

Well it means I have several new things to try out, but most importantly: Angel rolls with arms like a zombie, not like a crucifix.

Plus to think about: Pivots, Angel rolls, Steves and Jesus.

angel to steve like the jesus, but without the hand propellor? That’d be sweeeeet.

plus chronos quatering up the full steve and rearranging it how he likes... ought to try that vertically... Hmmmm....

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I know its possible to do a double neck wrap simply by placing one stick higher than the other, but how does one actively control one side of the angel roll to go higher up the neck than the other?

I like to think my angel rolls are pretty clean and would LOVE to learn this trick, but first I need to work out in my little head that its physically possible outside of the occaisional freak accident.

She seems to have her arms pretty far back, I mean much farther back than the average angel roll. Is it possible that the one fully contacts the neck while the other is 'thrown' from shoulder to shoulder?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Chronofracture333Hobo Gaylord
329 posts

Posted:
Maybe the lack of grips on batons helps here? Sliding over each other instead of getting stuck.

I think timing will be important as well. Not sure that either of the batons is thrown though, looks too smooth.

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

"Oooh, what a shiny new move!"

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Not necessarily that its thrown, but that maybe the one jumps a bit? I remember when I first learned the angel roll the stick had a tendency to bounce over, and maybe its possible to learn that the one side bounces over intentionally.

I doubt the batons lack of grip allows them to slide rather than crash, but maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I take back the bit about maybe they could pass each other like in a double neck wrap, since an angel roll passes at the vertical plane at the neck.

Another strange thought: aren't there baton twirling forums on the internet discussing this very same trick?

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
ouch that was nice biggrin

i can do throws catch into angel roll
(throw staff up and put wrist in a right moment for staff to angel roll to other hand, I thought maybe it could be popped up spin the body through 180 and repeat. OR

pop up and angel roll BACK to original hand.. with fire i think it would give a wing like trace... comments?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
Regarding the double angel roll vid, it seems that both batons are tossed and neither are touching her neck. I'm figuring it's a controlled angle variation in the same vein of the poi butterfly.

Of course, I'm a newbie so I could be entirely wrong smile.

Peace,
- Sui

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I thought that too, even so they were very well angled throws.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
nah it's totally possible, it just requires a lot of work. I can almost do a much much much easier variaition of it now.

Dual bfly horizontal (mostly) pivots

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

nah it's totally possible, it just requires a lot of work. I can almost do a much much much easier variaition of it now.

Dual bfly horizontal (mostly) pivots

your gonna have to show me that one at UberEurope!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
OK, now meg needs to update the angel roll variations list to include whatever it is that chick just did confused

now that the arashi pretends he can contact staff, he's somehow managed, despite a complete lack of skill, to figure out a little antispin present for you. watch you go DUH when you see it. of course i will leave all the actual work of teaching it in meg's hands, but it's just a cool push in entrance from a backhand roll tongue

"don't mess with the jesus."

wink ubblol

anyways, i think with devil rolls it is possible to do an atomic angel roll... both staffs moving together in an 45 degree tilted atom... damn i can't wait to see someone who doesn't suck (ie. ME) pull it off... otherwise gimmee a year or 3...

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah...I reckon they're thrown, not rolled. Nice video though.

I also think that all staff spinners should adopt a fixed beauty-queen smile and wear more lycra.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
but the announcer lady says straight up that it is a roll! and i figure she would know, she even describes it as a roll several times. i think the fact that they are rolled off center allows for the tips/ends to meet at her back, graze against each other or perhaps miss altogether... it looks like she has set up the batons so the small side is down to allow them to roll across each other.

ditto on the lycra outfits though, can't wait to sport my new gold silkies.

-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah...I didn't have the sound turned on.

I think pink with leopard spots would look hot

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
uncanny. so reminiscent of my last outfit, purple sheer catsuit with these boots

ok i've been hitting pause for a while now and there are clearly two very different planes and some timing differences... obvious i suppose but i think it's interesting the way her shoulders lift off her rib cage to create a valley between her shoulder blades, she almost throws her arms up to really make a groove there... i think she may be slipping one of the staffs in that crook while the other rolls over the scapula. either that or her trainer is missing a real obvious injurous form redface

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what this move actually requires is practise.

In other news: We going to call your 'devil' rolls, demon rolls arashi. To be more in touch with the heaven / hell symbology. biggrin

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
sure, whatever, but didn't somebody call them (or at least the concept) daemon rolls earlier in this thread? i do like demon rolls better... daemon sounds too much like some pretentious comic book writer that has gotten sick of using the word demon... personally i am sick of the whole premise of a dichotomy of evil and good but you know darn well why i thought the name would be apropos... wink

and you have failed to comment on you preference for lycra-esque garmentation.

i'm getting together with sage to teach her contact staff TOMORROW bounce

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I wouldnt be so quick to assume its a roll just because the anouncer lady says so.

From the circus video collection I've got I have come to the conclusion that the commentators never have a freaking clue about the real facts on what their babbling about.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that was probably chronos. We talked about it in leeds. I don't think the spelling is really pertinent to the move particularly... smile Thou now it will forever be connected in my mind to RH's (non-biological) son. wink

my preference for lycra-esque garments is that they be on somebody else and not me. Thou that's just my normal side talking, the side of me that wants to be a ninja cat-burglar really loves black catsuits. biggrin

Say hi to sage for me! rub off some of my contact staff knowledge on her if you can. (yes in that way.) hug

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
 Written by: entheogen

I wouldnt be so quick to assume its a roll just because the anouncer lady says so.

definitely agree with you there, especially the way they think they know everything and are so judgemental, how could they really know as much as they think they do? for me it seemed though like she was fairly farmiliar with the girl's work... that could be her just being a stinkyhead commentor trying to appear more knowledgeable, but the way she kept saying, in so many words "well she's got skills blah blah... she's almost great... if she wasn't so choppy" sounded like she's seen her compete many times and knew what she was going to do before she did it... how about the points system? would they count it if it was a throw? cuz that may be a good indicator, i doubt she'd train a throw like that if it didn't give her points.
why don't we just ask the girl? meg get on the net and seduce her... you know you want a lycra beauty queen to chat with...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
generally the commentators and judges for these sorts of small sports are old competitors who enjoy the sport enough to give up their free time to judge and commentate on these events. I know plenty of coaches and such like in baton twirling and gymnastics that also judge, so I think it would be the case that they know what they're talking about.

Plus chronos has almost done it as a roll in front of my very eyes. Plus I have done it a good few times with the back of hand to elbow transfer instead of the angel arm roll. So it's perfectly possible.

Now I just have to practise it with lycra....

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
THAT'S IT!!!!
lycra is the secret!!!
lycra imbues the staffs with non stick super glide powers.
well at least it imbues ME with *ahem* super glide powers... or that could be just a result of how fabulous my arse looks in a catsuit hehe

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Mmmmm, is lycra fire-resistant?

If not I'd suggest tight black leather, miaouw!

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ubblove ubblove
*sigh* methinks i concurrr heartily, matey (i be gettin ready for pirate day, arrr) but the only tight leather i have has too many sequins on it to do contact with biggrin it's left over from my 6 month stint as a "riverdancer" and i don't want to damage it. fond memories you know. eek

hey speaking of showing sage some "special" contact moves, are there any forbidden moves with contact staff? or shall i embellish at will? something reminiscent of a stick pony immediately comes to mind...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
that move isn't forbidden, it's just illegal. So you can get away with it as long as you don't get caught....

329 posts

Posted:
 Written by: arashi

shall i embellish at will?

Oh, go on then... I've seen it all before but I could do with a giggle. (And a magnifying glass?)

devil

*no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no moves there are no*

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
touche.
anyways my mum told me that 1.5 inches will rock anybody's world, but only if they are special enough. and someday soon, she says, she'll find someone who i can show my special purpose to.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
eugh!

I don't want to see your special purpose! (unless it's 1.5m long and has flamey bits on each end.)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
that could get sore

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Man ia this getting offtopic

Shouldn't we go back to the actual point of this forum
i.e. angel rolls vs. steve's, are all steve variations theoretically possible in an angel roll?

My answer is no. Anybody care to try and prove me wrong?

329 posts

Posted:
I think there all theoretically possible. It's just that some of them just aren't very likely to happen and some are just plain hard.

I've found that almost everything I do horizontally can be done vertically but not visa versa.

Hmm...

One armed angel rolls/steves- Perform roll to the shoulder turn 180deg and continue roll back down the same arm. One direction is easier than the other. Trying to get these horizontal at the moment.

Elbow Pop angel roll/steve- When the staff reaches the inside of your elbow, pop it across head/chest/back to the opposite elbow.

I tried this one because various people were speculating about the nature of the double angel roll in the baton video. Having now tried it both ways I feel they could both be rolled or one could be thrown. Didn't seem to make it easier.

329 posts

Posted:
Also on an angel roll tip....

Got an angel roll from hand to opposing ankle a few times today. Nothing like controlled yet but the most obvious exit seems to be swing it forward into reverse foot fishtails/kickup.

Acting under instruction from the good fairy Sparklejess this move will henceforth be refered to as the Superman.

ubbrollsmile
EDITED_BY: Chrono333 (1158524104)

Page: