Page:
NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
www.globalrichlist.com

puts things in perspective. there are 5,315,756,791 people poorer than me.

although i wonder how many hours they think i'm working, because i'm not getting paid as much as that per hour...

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Interesting. And before I'm accused of whining, I'm not. The choice was made.

You'd probably call my car an SUV. And yes, I drive it to work (can't afford a second car). Why do I have it - because of my hobbies, swords fit in it and it doesn't get stuck in muddy fields (in fact it tows others out of muddy fields). Can I afford it? Just, calculations were done before purchase. Is the price of diesel making me reconsider - not yet, but it might very soon unless biodiesel becomes more available and cheaper than it is at present (or I have somewhere I can store / make my own). And just for the record, it was 11 years old when I bought it - new ones are stupidly expensive.

Do I consider myself financially rich? Definately not. Reasonably well off, yes, but not rich. If I were rich, I could afford to buy that house in the country rather than dreaming of it!

In non financial terms however, I am probably one of the richest people in the world.

Written by:

Every child in America has the right to a free education (which costs between $5000 and $10000 per pupil per year) with free breakfast AND lunch included until they are 18

Interesting. Only kids whose parents are on benefits get free school meals here, and a fairly pitiful allowance at that.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MiG

Maybe they should go by disposable income?

hmmm... i thought about that but i don't think it would make any difference as the majority of people in the world also have no "disposable income". Plus if they factored in debts and rent and everything, it would be much more than a simple website, it'd be like doing your yearly accounts..! don't know if that would have the same impact biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
{Flexes my rarely used conservative side again...}

Is there a difference between "poor" and "financially stupid"?

Because I'm quite certain that there are far more "financially stupid" people in America than there are "poor". 13.8% is not that big a number and yet so many people seem to think they're poor.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Oh wait... this has been in 'chat' the whole time?

Then we need a 1337 llama...

Non-Https Image Link

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

ZeeIndifferentOnenewbie
11 posts

Posted:
'You are in the top 0.127% richest people in the World.'

Well, thats' my household income. No wonder I don't get firggin' EMA.

But just my income is in the top '19.53', that's horrendous, i have SHITE pay, and do SHITE hours. Gawd.
That's put things into perspective.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Because I'm quite certain that there are far more "financially stupid" people in America than there are "poor". 13.8% is not that big a number and yet so many people seem to think they're poor.

about 40 million people isn't a lot? Or do you just mean that on a global scale, compared with the 2nd/3rd world?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NYC

Is there a difference between "poor" and "financially stupid"?

I'm quite prepared to admit that I spend far too much money on alcohol/drugs, and as a result my standard of living is less than it could be. That being said, I dispose of my disposable income quite joyously.

"Financially stupid"? Yes. Without a doubt. I take responsibility for my actions.

But I'm only financially responsible for my own wellbeing. I refuse to call myself "poor" because I know that I could live a lot better than I do. This is my choice.

But I guess the point of the exercise is that I CAN afford to take the tram to work of a morning. (When I first got this job, I had to walk - an hour and a half - to work every day because I couldn't). I have food in my cupboards and I know at the end of the fortnight I will have money. I don't have to beg, or rummage through rubbish, or prostitute myself to keep myself alive.

And for that I am thankful. biggrin

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Yeah, cat, you do have to be below a certain income level to get free lunches. And I'm curious about the breakfast thing... I certainly was never aware of it is it new, or is it just poorly implemented, or what?

And the quality of the education as presented does vary widely as well. Nonetheless, I must admit the oppurtunity is there... and that is indeed a big difference. That said, I would rather raise my kids in many third world countries than in many poor neighborhoods in american cities. **Please note that does not include ALL in either case...**

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

The_Magnesium_Masterjourneyman
97 posts

Posted:
When I recorded all the assets I had and rated them on a 5 point scale of usefullness, the benifit obtained was extreamly tightly graphed as a straight line if the log of the number of items in each group vs satisfaction rating was plotted. (remember the log of that steep exponential curve displayed by investment sellers is a straight line) .

Conclusion: Big money and owning lots of stuff does squat towards hapyness, and just deprives your desendants and fellow humans of what they need, all to fail to satisfy 1 persons greed.

GitasGuyPooh-Bah
2,303 posts

Posted:
You are in the top 8.44% of people. Just shows how bad the 3rd world really is cause i struggle.
There are 5,493,198,529 people poorer than me!!!!
Thats a real confidence booster isn't it. Just think i was complaining i had to spend $300 on my car next week. Some people don't see that amount in a year. eek soapbox

:admires giant wooden aeroplane: Its about time trees were good for something, instead of just standing their like jerks!!! ubblol ubbtickled

Homer rocks!!!! ubblol ubbrollsmile

Page: