Page: ......
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
ok water is out the window, but i was thinking about lasers. weak ones so it doesn't blind anyone!does anyone know how to make beam wider? thinking about lens to magnify it so i could make a real lightsaber. wich wont cut your hand off! or take a laser pen apart and fit as many in a ball a possible. laser poi would be wicked weavesmiley

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with fire? You'll get burt. Did i listen, No! Burns heal!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
To be honest, if you made the beam wider, you'd basically have a HyperLight. I've been playing with the new versions today and I'm fairly sure they are brighter than the last set! wink

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Jons selling pitch... dazzle your cutomers so they buy them... and if they dont buy them... turn em up a notch and blind em... ubblol

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I get to seem the mk3 in some form this evening biggrin

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Tsunami?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Hyperlight version 3s exist- I was there at theire construction, I was lucky enough to spin them.

They are even better than before- I can't wait biggrin

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Not sure if it has already been adressed, but do you have a system that would allow both poi to sequence at exactly the same time? with some colourchanging poi, you need to turn them on at the same time to do that, and even then they don't always come out right.

Any possibility of synchronising them through a digital system?

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I have some ideas on that which I need to test further, but yes, it's certainly something I have in mind smile

Cake or Death?

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
wave Jon, you coming to Poi in the Punt next weekend?? Gwan you know you want to biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I'd really love to, but I've got a beer festival on Friday followed by a weekend of climbing large rocks in the peak district!

I've been busy this evening - check out the screenshot I took a moment ago:

Non-Https Image Link

...can ya tell what it is yet? biggrin

Cake or Death?

furinaxBRONZE Member
7 posts

Posted:
Okay so... I think I read this all wrong.

Does this little toy spell out words in midair? Cuz that would be sick, and I've seen someone design such a thing (just not for poi spinning).

Also, another idea would be to add in a microphone with programming that would make the lights change to whatever music is playing. I'm sure they would be a huge pain to add on but ehh I'm trying to think outside the box!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well those are certainly both possible... however, I won't be adding either of those functions to my HyperLights any time soon. Spelling out words would require a load more LEDs. It wouldn't be all that tough to do, but it's not what I want for my toys.

The microphone idea has been tossed around a few times before, but once again, I have no particular plans to add anything like that. If you want to sync your poi to music, I'm planning to have a way to load and MP3 (or whatever) into the program that sequences the poi.. so you'll be able to sequence them that way if you want.

I might well have a play with those ideas, but for now I'm focussing on getting the current design out the door so people can start playing biggrin

Cake or Death?

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
you got a usb connection!
man i cant wait to see these things, the whole thread is fascinating, really.
roll on falmouth! ubbrollsmile

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Gold star for you my friend.. Man I was excited when I saw that little balloon pop up biggrin

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Jon thats really really cool biggrin

Can you programme via the USB yet/ at all?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Not yet.. I've only just got it enumerating as a USB device (at 2am this morning wink). Next step is to start trying to write data down the USB cable to the thing. If I can get that going, programming the thing should follow fairly shortly clap

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Wow, thats really cool biggrin biggrin

Well done you!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
wow thats awesome, you've made some serious progress since I last checked. Cant wait to check out the new ones and getting started on the USB connectivity is great news.

Shall I start saving my pennies now? biggrin

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
usb connection, what the! last time i was in this thread you were buying the pcb's.

Presumably it can charge via the usb connection at the same time as doing other things (or is that what the usb connection was originally for)

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Motley

Shall I start saving my pennies now? biggrin

Depends how long it takes you to save wink

Written by: Geeza

Presumably it can charge via the usb connection at the same time as doing other things (or is that what the usb connection was originally for)

I currently have no intention to add circuitry to charge them via USB. The reasons being:

1) That they take AAA batteries so you can recharge them in any standard charger.
2) That if you go away to a festival (or on holiday or whatever), you don't want to have to lug a laptop around... and if you have access to power, you can take a charger. Also, you can buy USB battery chargers if that's what you want to do. To sum up, I reckon it's more flexible (and cheaper to you, the customer) to no have that on-board.

That was my thinking, but I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions. Remember; these things are being built for people (you!) to enjoy so if most people reckon that something would be better done another way, that's the way I'll probably do it smile

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I like the way iPods work - (in my case) over firewire but they shop with a plug that has a firewire port that carries the power. Best of both worlds!

However, I think that would be a lot more complex than your idea. I don't like the idea of AAA batteries though - I'd be willing to pay more for a in built, replaceable, battery

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

However, I think that would be a lot more complex than your idea. I don't like the idea of AAA batteries though - I'd be willing to pay more for a in built, replaceable, battery

Really? Why?

Would being able to charge the thing via USB (or whatever) solve that? Bear in mind that they will ship with rechargeable NimH batteries installed...

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Ah, if they are rechargeable NimH then thats fine smile No need to charge over USB either - as it would be a pain.

Sorted, sorry I missunderstood a little before smile

hug

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

Would being able to charge the thing via USB (or whatever) solve that? Bear in mind that they will ship with rechargeable NimH batteries installed...

IMO i would say its a nice option, like sym said, the whole ipod chargy thing is useful! but yeah AAA batteries is a good idea.

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
No probs Sym - I suspect as much wink hug

I agree it's a nice option... just plugging the thing into a PC would be kinda nice, but for it to work, you generally need an externally powered USB hub (charging requires a lot of current which in most cases won't be supplied by a computer's on-board USB hub(s)). So if you need an external hub, you might as well just have a regular charger and be done with it.

Cake or Death?

K__BRONZE Member
...join us...
184 posts

Posted:
I agree just plugging into a PC USB hub would be cool, but as it's not as simple as that, supplying rechargeable AAAs sounds fine. And as you said before, it allows for more flexibility when you're not near a PC for a while. And more flexibility is good smile

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I think your onto a winner with the AAAs to be honest, much simpler and more versitile.

oh and saving pennies will take forever so probably best I start now eh biggrin

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
How long will the AAA that come with it last and what will there mAh be?

How long would some 800 mAh AAA batteries last before needing to be recharged. As they are called hyperlights I suppose they will drain power pretty quickly

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well I don't have any precise figures (more testing needed), but I reckon I was spinning them for at least an hour if not two the other night. They have 1000mAh batteries in them at the moment.

Cake or Death?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
good stuff, as long as they dont die after 20minutes or so

Page: ......