Page: ......
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
These aren't any ordinary lights don't forget.. they're MUCH brighter than regular LEDs.. and they can reproduce any colour of the rainbow smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
mm, from what I've seen of the hyperlights up close, 2 might be enough depending on the internal refractive qualities of the tubing (or it's coating) used for the hoop.

otherwise, 3 or 4 should almost certainly cover it, and gives plenty of opportunity for wonderful effects smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Just remember the cost here... bearing in mind that by my current estimates a pair of HyperPoi are going to be around the £120 mark. That would be one expensive hoop (and would need 8 batteries to power it)!! smile

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
ubblol And the power to blind onlookers too!

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
£120! jesus! they do look amazing...but £120!

*goes away to figure out a way of justifying spending £120 on a set of glowing balls*

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I think that's first run costs (ie b4 a bigger level of production)

and besides, do you know how much aerotechs cost? blehh

1,286 posts

Posted:
i know, its just a fairly large outlay for a set of poi.

O.B.E.S.E.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
but oh, so, worth it! ubblove

Gayle.....!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Idancelike...

You really should consider the standard of the kit relative to other market leaders- Aerotech meteors were over 150 for a pair,more for the better colours.

Hyperlights offer so much more than than that- yes its quite a bit, but IMO they will be the best glow poi available by a considerable margin and totally worth even the initail cost(and thats from someone who owned Aerotechs for 2 years).

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
£120 biggrin

if you put a price on Johns time - id say hes doing you all a favour ..........

That is cheap, damn cheap for that amount of work, i think people forget what goes on behind the scenes as far as accumilating costs goes rolleyes

Nice one dude clap

Besides - these will get you work anywhere, shite, one gig would pay for a set!! eek

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hehe, cheers guys smile

I would imagine the time I've spent on these to run into hundreds if not thousands of hours. If I factored that and all the cash I've put into building prototypes, you could probably add a zero or two to the end. Fortunately, this is a hobby and as a result, I'm writing off all the development costs because I enjoy it (most of the time) wink

I know they sound expensive, but once you've spun them and played with making your own sequences you'll soon realise how much you're getting for so little. Even when they're in production I'll be continuing to improve the software that makes the POI do what they do and the interface on your computer... so they will mostly likely improve even after you've bought them. The hardware is capable of a lot more than I've currently got running - think of it as a free upgrades biggrin

[Edit]Just got back from the post office... Mr Mags, you should be getting some fun post in a day or two. Congratulations on being the proud borrower of the only pair of HyperLights in existence smile
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1159270696)

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
... DONT BREAK THEM! eek

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Well that will certainly cheer him up!
*is massively jealous*

*plans on intercepting the post man for the next few days*

*evil grin*

ubbangel

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I should warn you, they're fitted with anti-stealing devices. They're tuned to Mags' DNA so if anyone else picks them up... *BOOM* ...so don't say I didn't warn you ...not that you'd be able to (being exploded and all) wink hug

Cake or Death?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
£120 sounds like a more than fair price to me. I've seen them and they are worth every penny.

Maus if you manage it can I bribe you with naked men and 'special' coca cola for them? biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

1,286 posts

Posted:
fair enough, £120 isn't that bad, it just sounds alot. you say that one gig would pay for them.....i don't do performances so the money isn't quite as easily justified. they are amazingly good, i saw them at falmouth and was in shock at just how bright they are.

just out of curiosity (plus i can't be bothered backtracking through the thread) will they be programmable by a technophobe such as myself?

O.B.E.S.E.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Thats alright Jon, being God I'm invincible anyway, and plus I extracted Mags' DNA yesterday, thinking it might come in handy one day...who would have thought that day would come so soon! wink

Skully..naked men you say???? umm *tempted* however the "special" coca cola concerns me a little.... I'd have to say no...but you could come and play with them! wink

And I think £120 is a bargain, and I will most certainly be getting some as soon as I can.

Any chance of putting myself on a pre-order list!?

Or is that already 10 miles long! ubblol

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Jon is planning to have a computer interface that will be as techy as the user wants it to be (simple for those who need it to be simple, techy for those who like things more complex).

But i'm sure he can tell you that himself smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Programming them should be as easy as dragging and dropping different colours to make a sequence and then hitting the program button. I was playing with an early version of the software last night when I was preparing things for Mags and was pleasently suprised by how easy and quick it was to make small adjustments to get things looking just right biggrin

If you don't want to make your own sequences I suspect that once a few people have them, you'll find hundreds of patterns posted on www.hyperlight.co.uk smile

[Edit]Damn, you write too fast Chutters... but you're correct wink

Mags; If the patterns that run on there aren't enough, I should (with a bit of luck!) be able to get some software to you so you can re-program them with some new sequences! hug
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1159276382)

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
This may well have gone without saying, but if you want another person for serious software testing, or even working on the code a bit I know several languages reasonably well, and have all the bits/software necessary.

I live with some fulltime pro coders and ui designers too atm smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I appreciate the offer.. and I may have some demo sets soon to distribute to a few BETA testers. Funnily enough I have a long list of offers though wink

As for the website, thanks for the PMs guys and yes, I'm aware that there are spelling mistakes and out of date info on there. It was literally just a placeholder so that I could test that I had the basic site installed correctly smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
oops, lol, that was meant to be a P.M, anyway, it was also meant to imply I was happy to test software without the hardware smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
That would be greatly appreciated. I've got some basic software that could do with being tested (just to check it will actually run on other peoples computers).. although it won't be at all impressive from your point of view (it's just the command line interface that allows you to write programs to the poi via USB).

Once I've finished fiddling with the design of the balls and sent that off I'll start to concentrate on the website and software a bit more.

'tis all coming along rather nicely so far smile

Cake or Death?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
brightness! YEAH! you've got my vote mr hyperlight! BRIGHTNESS is the number one thing all glowtoys need more of... if only you could spin 100w lightbulbs without a cable to a mains power supply...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I reckon these are almost as bright Meg biggrin

The diffusers set them off perfectly, as bright as you'd ever need without being too bright (though we did consider sunglasses for the new vid biggrin)

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: maus

Thats alright Jon, being God I'm invincible anyway, and plus I extracted Mags' DNA yesterday, thinking it might come in handy one day...who would have thought that day would come so soon! wink

I shan't be asking HOW you "extracted" that DNA eek

Knowing you, it will either be X rated... or gross... or both wink

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well if you set them all to show bright white, that's 3W right there.. so if you spun 15 and 1/6 pairs, you'd have very nearly 100W wink

To be honest though, spinning them as they are made me feel a little odd after a couple of hours.

As for the DNA.. I got it from his hair brush (honest) wink
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1159305462)

Cake or Death?

Brian:-)BRONZE Member
stranger
37 posts

Posted:
Don't forget that LED Light is brigter than incandesent light, where most of the output is heat.
You are doing a great job. I have been following from the start. Good luck.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Good point - wikipedia agrees. I'd not realised they were as bad as that (according to wikipedia, only~5% of the energy is emitted as light in a normal lightbulb!!!).

I'm very grateful for all the encouragement you guys give - without it, I think I would probably have given up on this venture some time ago smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
oh i think many people could arrange for things to get 'interesting' should you try with the givings of up devil

biggrin

Page: ......