Page: ......
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
ME, me me me me me me, more than you *points up*, me.

Did I mention I want a pair?

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Woohoo!!! Just made another step forward. I now have the USB code working properly so you can just plug in, change your sequences, unplug and spin. I've also got the buttons working so they go to sleep properly (no more fiddling around with batteries to turn them on / off!) biggrin

Next step is to get holding down one button move you into selection mode (where the two buttons will let you cycle through the available patterns) and the other button will reset the current pattern and hold it at the start until you release it (so you can synch the two poi).

Time for some sleep first!

P.s - looks promising to ship them to you Mags wink
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1158807127)

Cake or Death?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
So you've moved away from taps to buttons now?

What made you change your mind? Wern't you worried that they would break/allow water or dust in/whatever?

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
sweeeet work mr hyperlight biggrin

id be well interestd in seeing the code you are using..... not that im geeky in any way, but im trying to get my head round this ultimate technology at thm moment, is your pgramming a similiar style?

(should i just read the rest of this thead?)

You poi look wicked by the way, although to interest me youd have to make them much bigger and rigid......... and no i dont mean so they look like chutney wink

biggrin

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
again, a post that highlights the massive need for a gui for this programmable glowy stuff.

i have lots of ideas - any decent (java/c++) programmers fancy talking to me about it...? ubbangel

can't wait to see full working versions of these toys! ubblove

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Based on what people have said and watching a few people actually using their tech's at Falmouth I've come to realise that you could do everything quicker and less confusingly with a pair of buttons. Dust and water issues can be solved with an o-ring and a little careful manufacturing.

I've only had a brief look at the aerotech programming style, but it looks reasonably similar (albeit somewhat limited wink). I have a fairly crude piece of software that allows you to put together sequences. I'm in the process of re-coding it at the moment to make it much easier and faster to use.

I'll be at BJC on friday night / saturday morning if you fancy a chat? I'm quite eager to see what the new tech staffs are like. I may even have a prototype staff of my own with me wink

[Edit] Oops, hadn't spotted your response there Cole. I whole-heartedly agree.. and better still, I'm pretty fluent in C++. So what would you want in the way of a GUI? I have a load of ideas of my own, but I'd love to hear yours before I muddy the waters with my own thinking smile[/Edit]
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1158843463)

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
*walks in*

WOOOO GEEK ALERT! wink

But geeks who are making pretty toys, keep at it...

*runs out*

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Geeks?! EEeeeek! Where?!!

...does anyone know if Aerotech will be at BJC? I heard mumblings that they'd have a stall there. It'd be nice to meet them smile

Cake or Death?

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
my ideas all arose out of using video and music editing software...

in short they are grouped as:

main sequencer/timeline features.
pattern bank features - rquired to do useful things like setting up a 60hz strobe between three colours and storing it to be dragged onto the timeline as and when needed.
all other functionality - all the extra essential stuff like music import capabilities so that synching can be easily worked out on-screen, a customisable preview mode and so on.

smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I was thinking exactly the same sort of thing coleman, audio/video sequencer style thing, with a timeline where you can allocate blocks of any color, or transition effects.

the ability to import audio and have it displayed as a wave alongside would then mean you could perfectly sync a sequence.

lot of work though, but would be ace. uber programmer would make transition effects plugins maybe, but then I can't offhand think of how it could get complicated enough to need that, as with only one light you'd just need strobe's and fades?

to have a play with the sort of thing i mean easily if you haven't already, you could download the trial of sony vegas for free (used to be sonicfoundry b4 teh 3vil bought it, excellent easy to use product still, 66mb) https://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step2.asp?DID=613

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I have all of that in the pipeline.. great minds think alike!

What you call 'pattern banks' I would call sequences... and everything revolves around them. So for a 60hz rgb strobe, you'd set something like this up:

Written by:

Sequence "RGB Strobe"
SetAll(0)
SetRed(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetGreen(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetBlue(255)
Wait(20)
Return

Timings are in milliseconds so can change colours 1000 times per second if you really want to! To make that same sequence repeat 10 times (for example), you could put a while loop around it:

Written by:

Sequence "RGB Strobe"
While(10)
SetAll(0)
SetRed(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetGreen(255)
Wait(20)
SetAll(0)
SetBlue(255)
Wait(20)
WEnd
Return

Bear in mind that that's the crude / techy interface. There will be a simple mode as well which won't involve writing code like the stuff above. I'm hoping it will be easy enough to use that even a complete technophobe will have no problems smile

It will all be drag and drop to make things easier. It should work on just about every popular platform too; Windows, Linux, MAC etc.

It will interface directly with the toys so any toys that are plugged in will appear in the GUI. Programming them will be as easy as selecting which sequences you want and hitting the upload button. It takes less than a second to send my current sequences smile

Not sure what you mean by transition effects plugins? They may be what I'm thinking of as macros.. which I'll add at some point although they'll be a tricky thing to implement and probably only used (or at least created) by the more technically minded!

Cake or Death?

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey dude

Aerotech will not be at the BrJC (thats what Bev told me, however i believ a couple of thee tech heads are - ill get some names if i can, however i was told to show the staff around and then they would find me smile

Well up for a chat as i rekon if you can make a stick to my spec...... well....... lets just say you wouldnt need chutters anymore! kiss wink

See you soon dude.

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Lol, I'll keep my eyes open. I reckon I too should be fairly easy to spot if I've got my toys on wink

Cake or Death?

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Yep me too if I've got my toys on...oh ..oops..wrong thread for that perhaps! redface

Seriously though Mr . Hyperlight sir... when can we buy them? I've had family asking what I want for christmas, and it would benice not to get socks and a dressing gown for a change! ubblol wink hug

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Socks aren't so bad... especially when they're filled with hyper-bright toys wink

About a year ago I said sometime that summer... I was wrong smile Now I'd say it's likely you'll see the first batch going out in time for Christmas... I've learnt a lot in the last year and I suspect that a 'in time for christmas' deadline is actually not all that unreasonable!

There's still a fair bit to do, but the electronics that drive them is ready for the final prototype. I'll be ordering a load of boards next week I think and shortly afterwards the first batch of balls to put them in... Exciting times biggrin

Cake or Death?

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Hmmm, I may be the first person in South Africa to own a pair of Hyperlights. What status cool

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
i'll have your xmas dressing gown if you don't want it kelly - mine got a little bit burnt at play this year... rolleyes

i like big ones with hoods but anything will do.

if i were you, i'd keep the socks - they're good for putting hyperlights in innit smile

good luck mr hyperlight!

don't rush it though - if they're as good as they look, they'll be worth the wait (and don't stress about getting them out in time for christmas either - it happens every year you know wink ).

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

Socks aren't so bad... especially when they're filled with hyper-bright toys wink

Oh that joke was painfully obvious rolleyes tongue

... I'm just jealous you beat me to it frown

Ooops offtopic ... get back to work!

Edit:

Written by: Coleman

(and don't stress about getting them out in time for christmas either - it happens every year you know wink ).

It does????? eek

My parents have been holding out on me frown

EDITED_BY: Asena (1158853379)

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

... I'm just jealous you beat me to it frown

i'm less jealous and more embarrassed that i didn't even notice and made the exact same obvious remark redface

ubblol tongue

cole x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hehe smile

The thing is, I'm just as anxious to see people spinning them as you guys are to spin them. I'd forgotten how happy it made me until I watched Simian and Ollie spinning them at Falmouth for a considerable length of time... the smiles on their faces were a very satisfying sight biggrin

Cake or Death?

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
Sure Cole...although certain members of my family don't seem to know me that well so they tend to be fairly cute and girly...but I'm sure you'd look great in it! wink

In fact last year I got a purple fluffly one with a big hood that said princess across the back of it!
ubblol
perfect!

And no Jon, we don't mean to rush you! smile

Hurry up though! tongue hug

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
 Written by: coleman

any decent (java/c++) programmers fancy talking to me about it...?

One request - please not java! wink

Jon, I assume that any software made will be open source under something like the gpl? Any nice gui could come at any point - it's just software that writes the same files isn't it. However getting one sooner for the non-geeks would be nice.

hug see you tomorrow!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Fear not; there shall be no Java smile

I'm not 100% sure how I'll license the software, but yes, probably something along these lines.

You're right about it writing the same files. Essentially, it just needs to generate a hex file that the HyperLight can understand and send it down the USB cable. I already have a program that reads a .hex file and does the USB bit so if I were to release the codes you need to send, we could get going on a group effort smile

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
transitions - like i said check out vegas for a bit wink

with vegas (and other similar apps) u can drop video's in blocks all over the place, then select over a couple and define a transition, it can then be defined as, or later changed to, a fade, wipe, 3d effect, all kinds of things, with various parameters.

effects are similar but different, being predefined 'extras' with parameters (maybe an explosion or something)

so, to make it make sense in hypercontext,

you'd want to be able to say, create 2 light tracks on the timeline

-----------------

-----------------

import an audio file and add some colour to the top and bottom track

0ms.........................50ms

----[RED ]-------------

-----------[GREEN]--------

--\__/--/\/```''''\_____(dodgy asci wav)

you only 'see' from the hyperlight when it's running the top defined part, so once the red's finished you'd see an instant change to green.

now add a smooth fade transition (note this isn't another track, just can't represent it another way in ascii)

.........[fade]

----[RED ]-------------

-----------[GREEN]--------

--\__/--/\/```''''\_____(dodgy asci wav)

so now from the beginning of the transition to the end it will fade from the first colour, over to the second it covers on the timeline the fade could be linear, spline based, a strobe burst etc etc..

>
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1158873226)

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
having your transitions defined by plugins just means that you can do a few yourself, like smooth fade, strobe, whatever, and leave it open for others to code up anything they can think of easily. like maybe you don't want to spend design time doing a spline fade interface yourself wink

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
what's with the anti-java sentiment? I would have helped out even if you had decided on c++, which is obviously a worse language, and not just because there's already an almost complete java prototype of such software kicking around. With sexy graphics and everything. But now I feel like you're all just totally irrational.

Lisp is obviously the best programming language so why even consider c++ or java? wink oh no wait, lisp is the best programming language, I take that wink back.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Hyperlight already said he was fluent in c++ is all.

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I probably could have explained that better - there's a few reasons:

1) (This is by far the most important reason IMHO) I know very little Java and have been writing C/C++ for years.
2) I've never been a massive fan of the way java apps look. I'd rather have something that looks like it was written for whichever O/S the software is running on.
3) I've got a framework (wxWidgets) which will mean the code should be fairly platform independant.
4) The USB drivers I'm using to talk to the poi are written for C++

...so I'd say it's not as irrational as it might seem smile

Is Java really better than C++? wink

Cake or Death?

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I'd have written more myself but I didn't want to drag this into subjective, or speculative language bashing in either direction smile

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Java is old and slow. C++ is old and a bit faster.

Neither are great, but java is just horrid.

Page: ......