Page: ......
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
when will we get a new vid?

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Yeah Jon, when?

sketchGOLD Member
Empirically random...
431 posts

Posted:
yeah when???? *stamps foot*

"This dark place planet Earth, orbits one star,
Come from afar, far away state of mind,
open up your third eye, black helicopters in the sky"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Good question... how about when I get the new LEDs to replace the ones I broke in Oxford and Chutney gets his ass round to my place with his DV camera.. ? smile

Cake or Death?

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Err.. ok?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yeah Mr C get up off your ass ubblol tongue

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
i know my ideas havnt gone down well before but this one is good, promise...

it's an add on really in the shape of flaggs with fiber optic strands woven into it or the whole thing is made of them. these would be good as they would just tap off the light and give some cool trails and they would change colour with the hyperlights.

any good? ubbidea
EDITED_BY: Brad_Fire (1155919286)

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with fire? You'll get burt. Did i listen, No! Burns heal!

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure if it would work - but I really like that idea! I'm sure there is a way to make hyperlight flags biggrin

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
im sure it would work. all you need to do is have the fiber opticts placed around the led or just in the sock im sure that would even be enough light for the light to come though. The hard part is making the flag, er im not very good with a needle and thread but im sure there are many that are? anyone?

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with fire? You'll get burt. Did i listen, No! Burns heal!

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
dont suppose u do or could do a devil stick i am desprite for a devilstick i could programe etc

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
The only thing about fibre optic wires is that they only light at the ends, with minimal light escaping down the main part of the wire. So you'd have flags with the main part and edges lit.... worth the hassle?

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Thats whyt I didn't think it would work - what about something simple that would keep the 2 layers apart so the light could spread about? For some reason I can only think of bubble wrap...

ficklampaBRONZE Member
81 posts

Posted:
https://www.geekops.co.uk/gallery/index.p...20and%20fire%29

looking good.

the only thing worth dying for is life itself

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Hmmmm, but then you'd have lots of light at the end of the source, and not much at the end of the flags... hmmmm.... altho it sounds much better than the fibre optics...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
if u used the led's as the weights in the flags to give them momentum, and then used some kind of reflective fabric that cud work

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Hm, but then... we are changing the whole hyperlight structure... It would be nice to have an attachment as such, or a new frame to pop the hyperlight balls into to give flags...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
errr yeh, i dont think theres any chance of takin the existing hyperlights design and "popping" it into make flags

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I think it could be made to work with a bit of effort although I'm not sure how much you'd actually see the small pin-points of light at the end of the fibres. I suspect they might well be drowned out by the light from the main beam frown

I see no reason why you couldn't just add a flag around the existing cone - that could look pretty cool smile
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1156097636)

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
One thing at a time tho ah... I still cant wait to own some hyperlights ubblove

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
I can see what you mean. I know the light would only escape from the pin point ends. The idea was to have different lengths so the little specks of light would cover the whole flagg. so the whole thing would glow with little specks of light when the light shines through. but you are right one thing at a time.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
The nice thing about the hyperlights though, is I think you'll be able to just buy the ball with all the usb and charging stuff and no poi or anything else. I guess depending on the shape that would allow you to buy 3 and juggle with them, 2 and make your own staff/flags/whatever or 1 and CJ with it. The really interesting thing is the unit itself - the form you use it in comes after that smile

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Which begs the question, will the basic hyperlight unit come with 2 white "socks" as standard?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
That pretty much sums up my intentions; The balls are the main item although I'm hoping to have some basic sock-like things to put them in as an option. I'm still umming and arring a bit as to whether it would be better to offer a seperate (dedicated) design for juggling or whether I can get away with it for the Poi.

I'm not sure how you'd use them with a staff, but I was planning to build HyperStaffs (once the poi are off the ground so to speak).

I'm not too sure how well HyperLights will work for contact juggling either as they're probably a bit on the light side. Once again, it may be better to get some seperate housings made (from acrylic most likely)... which would be another reason to keep the poi seperate.

What d'you guys reckon? confused

[Edit] Just saw your post Asena; I would expect most people would want them, but I'd make it an optional extra if it looks like quite a lot of people would only want the balls [/Edit]
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1156164306)

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Contact Hyperlights would be ace ubblove

I can see me handing over a lot of money to you... [censored] ubblol wink

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
...but the point is people can be creative smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I wonder how long it'll be before people start producing patterns which don't use the full brightness that a HyperLight is capable of.. ? I've found that spinning them a lot can be quite disorienting as you can see little else! Maybe it's time to find a good pair of sunglasses? :P

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Sym

...but the point is people can be creative smile

Meaning you think I should make a HyperLight poi that can also be changed so you can juggle or contact juggle with it ...?

Cake or Death?

KieronGOLD Member
232 posts

Posted:
I'd rather have hyperlights for just poi, and hyperlights for just juggling, if they'd be better then one form of hyperlights which can be used for multiple things.

Of course if a design that can be just as good at whichever job was used then it would be great, also better for production, however if thats not possible people can always use the hyperlight poi to juggle with even if there are "official" juggling balls that are better suited.

"I'm quite good at darts, though i often miss" - Kylie

"I'm not a bad driver, I just panic when theres other cars around" - Sarah

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
All I'm saying is that if you can't figure out how to do something with the hyperlight design you have, some Hoppers are bound to come up with something whilst sitting round a camp fire doing what we do best...If the units are quite generic it'll give people more chance to come up with more toy ideas.

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I cant believe it censored my insult... it wasnt even that insulting... *sulk*

Um, but ye, a generic unit with changeble exteriors etc would be the way forward, saves us money... biggrin

How long how long! I cant wait any longer ubbcrying

Page: ......