• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

Page: 1234...16
*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Total posts: 1174
Posted:I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

Delete Topic

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:I don't think the new housings will be ready in time, but I should have the new prototype hardware (the circuits) by then... the PCBs should arrive here in a day or two so then it's just a question of whether

a) I can get hold of all the components I need in time
b) Populate the boards in time
c) They actually work first go! (yeah right wink)

I'm hoping they'll be nearly indestructable so you shouldn't need to worry too much about bashing them about.

I still have a couple of neat tricks that I've not revealed about them, but I'm saving those for when the final versions are ready for people to buy biggrin

Cake or Death?

Delete

Geeza
Geeza

addict
Total posts: 694
Posted:email play.com and ask if you could stock them with them. im sure once the idea of poi took off they would sell like hotcakes. (anyone remember powerball) -top seller on play.com for ages

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:They're no where near ready for general consumption but I'll certainly bear that in mind when they are!

Cake or Death?

Delete

Sym
Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest
Total posts: 1858
Posted:Did yo mean to write playfestival.co.uk? I'm sure thats what geeza was talking about wink

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

Mr_Chutney
Mr_Chutney

Tosser
Total posts: 1711
Posted:offtopicShameless Plugofftopic

tongue

Delete

Motley
Motley

addict
Total posts: 434
Posted:What like these?

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:They don't look particularly shameless to me *shrug*

Cake or Death?

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:They don't look particularly shameful to me *shrug*

wink

Delete

VampyricAcid
VampyricAcid

veteran
Total posts: 1286
Posted:whoopwhoopwhoop they look sexy!!!!! i officially CANT WAIT!!!!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

TheBovrilMonkey
TheBovrilMonkey

Liquid Cow
Total posts: 2629
Posted:The plugs?

That's a strange fetish you have there.

tongue

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:At the risk of getting this thread back on topic... Ouch, I just spent ~200 on the bits to make 2 pairs of the mark 3 prototypes!!! It's so expensive when you do small orders... that and forgetting to add the processors for the things so you end up paying twice as much postage redface rolleyes

...still, it should all be here in a couple of days which means there's actually a chance I'll have two new pairs of hyperlights ready for PLAY biggrin

Cake or Death?

Delete

Geeza
Geeza

addict
Posted: Written by: *HyperLight

...still, it should all be here in a couple of days which means there's actually a chance I'll have two new
pairs of hyperlights ready for PLAY biggrin

i'll be a prototype tester if you want. Been using poi for 3 weeks or so, so im still at beginner level really, so all round good for being a tester!

Delete

Mr_widd
Mr_widd

eat my face before i eat yours
Total posts: 253
Posted:i had a play with them at fally 5, loved them, but was too scared to do anything to techy or what nots incase i smashed them and then had to crawl around in the sand looking for parts saying how sorry i was. cant wait to see them again at play.

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:Glad you enjoyed them nick... hopefully the things I have for play will be a bit more robust than the last lot of prototypes (time will tell!).

I just realised that it takes ~9 days for stuff to get from HoP to my house so I may have to re-think my idea of canabulising the LED poi I bought. Anyone got any suggestions for (preferably clear) ~6cm balls into which I can squeeze the new prototypes? The really need to be dismantleable as well so that batteries can be changed and new programs added to them... oh, and they need to be ready for PLAY wink

Cake or Death?

Delete

Sym
Sym

Geek-enviro-hippy priest
Total posts: 1858
Posted:ubbidea

Jo gave me some boing balls for christmas...I've not really used them as one of them broke frown but I could send you them for you to use (I'd want them back, in a working order, but they just screw apart)

http://www.loadsmorestuff.com/popup_image.php?pID=971

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:Never mind, i returned home to find a package waiting on my bed biggrin ...now I just need the boards to arrive and the components to populate them!

Thanks for the offer though wink

Cake or Death?

Delete

anonomatos
anonomatos

enthusiast
Total posts: 389
Posted:Good luck constructing, Jon!

"Dont know how long, this ones gonna take;
I could fail, but Id rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

Delete

VampyricAcid
VampyricAcid

veteran
Total posts: 1286
Posted: Written by: TheBovrilMonkey

The plugs?

That's a strange fetish you have there.

tongue

but but...they're just so sexy!! 3 things going into 3 holes!! its like pron but better!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:/mini rant on behalf of Hyperlight/

Please people, stop asking to be testers!
Im sure Mr. Hyperlight has already told the people who he wants to be testers, and he doesnt need anyone else!
Just becuase you want to have a pair of these sexy new toys before the vast majority of eveyone else, it doesnt mean you will get them simply becuase you offered to "help" test them.
shrug

then again, I may be utterly and hopelessly wrong, in which case I apologise now biggrin redface

Delete

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8737
Posted:as much as I liked the look of mr hyperlights poi...

Hyperlight... any chance you'll develop your idea into staff form redface as my poi... well.... sucks and they are pretty.

otherwise i will think take a basic electronic and machining course to see if i can make one biggrin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:Thanks for the rant UCOF... I've had more offers to help test hyperlights than I can count (even using fingers and toes!) ...and I'm grateful for every one of them! I still like people asking - it's good to know people are still interested smile

I've just had a load of deliveries of components and should have the new boards by the end of today. So it's looking like I might actually have some new stuff to show off at PLAY! If that pans out, I'll be handing them to as many people as I can for another round of feedback. I'll then put the suggestions I agree with into the next prototype (probably the last one!)... and get ~10 pairs of hyperlights built. I have a list I've been cultivating of people I'd like to sell those first 10 to (at cost price in return for some feedback on what they like / dislike about them etc). Once we've ironed out any initial problems I'll be ina position where I can seriously consider selling HyperLights to the masses clap

As for staffs, I already have some designs for a HyperStaff in the pipeline. I'm also thinking about making HyperDiablo, HyperDevilsticks and HyperHoops biggrin

Cake or Death?

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:Hyperhoops?!?! biggrin

Want someone to test them? --> wink <--

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:Lol, you're already on my 'list of people to supply one of the first round of public prototypes to' (a bit of a long-winded name I know, but I think it says it all smile).... so don't be greedy wink

I just got a very exciting parcel delivered - four mark 3 prototype boards!!! There's going to be some furious soldering efforts over the next day or two clap

Cake or Death?

Delete

Geeza
Geeza

addict
Posted:as again, count me in for a tester! what batteries will they take again? and what life

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted:They run off 2xAAA's... the time they run for depends on which patterns you're running. I've not tested all that thoroughly but I would guess upwards of an hour from 900mAH batteries.

Cake or Death?

Delete

Seye
Seye

Geek
Total posts: 1261
Posted:Ooh - Mr Hyperlight. Can I please put my name down to be the first tester for a hyperdevilstick please biggrin

You'd have no competition with devilsticks as even the Aerotech's are not perfect.

Delete

Geeza
Geeza

addict
Posted:sounds quite good. id just get some rechargable ones like uniross or something. Try and make them as light as possible, i dont fancy a 200gram weight hitting my spuds! 60 or 70 grams would be perfect (ie tennis ball weight)

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted: Written by: Seye

You'd have no competition with devilsticks as even the Aerotechs are not perfect.

That's assuming I get it right of course! wink

As for volunteers, I've been thinking a bit about this recently. I've got ~5 people who I've already decided I'm getting a pair to because either; They're helped me massively in getting to where I am now, or I think they're really inspirational spinners and would really love to see them spinning my toys.

I'm planning on building 10 sets of the next versions which leaves 5 to distribute. So I'm thinking either I'll have a competition or a vote or something with nominations for who should have a pair (could lead to a bit of a popularity contest though frown)... or maybe give a pair to a few big juggling clubs so lots of people get to play with them. I'd be interested to hear what people think about how I should choose who to give 'em out to smile

Cake or Death?

Delete

*HyperLight
*HyperLight

old hand
Posted: Written by: geeza

sounds quite good. id just get some rechargable ones like uniross or something. Try and make them as light as possible, i dont fancy a 200gram weight hitting my spuds! 60 or 70 grams would be perfect (ie tennis ball weight)

They will definitely be less than 200g... I've started to think they might actually end up being too light! I've made provisions so that more weight can be added easily though smile

Cake or Death?

Delete

Mr_Chutney
Mr_Chutney

Tosser
Total posts: 1711
Posted:Muchos Exite-A-Mundo biggrin

Delete

Page: 1234...16