Page: ...
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I've been busy designing recently and I'm happy to report I've made some serious progress! I've very nearly got the final prototype board fleshed out and a design I reckon ought to work very well for the casing.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

I'll send off for the first set of prototype boards some time next week (still needs some tweaking and double-checking). I need to investigate a few more companies to find someone to make my polycarbonate balls. Just need to get the software up to scratch now. As it stands you'd need to have some special hardware to add new light sequences etc. into them... once I've got my head around a few things, you'll just be able to plug your hyperlights into a USB socket, fire up your software and tell them what you want!

Watch this space biggrin cool

Cake or Death?

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Good question.. I'm a touch busy this week, but lets pencil in this sunday coming for an evening of spinning etc. ?

Cake or Death?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Jon, might have found what you were after! wink

I'll be sending them up to Chutney for a play so see what you think!

[/end vague crytic comments]

Gayle.....!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Sweet! You're a star biggrin

Cake or Death?

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
hey, have to say like soo many other people WoW these poi are amazing. The best ive ever seen. I would ask to be a tester but i know your lists are full, will buy some soon as i can. just thought you might like to see this pic i have of them at fal https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/display.php?image=/500/7954untitled.JPG

and congratulate you on making the BEST poi ever clap bounce clap bounce clap

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with fire? You'll get burt. Did i listen, No! Burns heal!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Praise indeed! Glad you liked them biggrin Just you wait though - the next versions are much nicer to spin (lighter / less dangerous!). I think they may actually be marginally brighter too eek

I just sent of my drawings of the new housings to half a dozen plastics comapnies to get some quotes for:

a one off prototype - for test-fitting the PCB / lense / batteries / battery contacts
10 - initial trial run so I have 5 pairs to hand out to my beta testers.
100 - first batch open to the general public
1000 - getting far too ambitious but I'm curious wink

Nice photo by the way - thanks! hug

Cake or Death?

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Jon, i watched the adventures of lois and clark (superman) last night and they had a hyperlight. Is that where the name comes from?

Gayle.....!

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I don't think 1000 is too ambitious I'm sure they'd shift well on HoP or VERY easily at any festival if demo's were being put on smile

>

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gayle......!

Jon, i watched the adventures of lois and clark (superman) last night and they had a hyperlight. Is that where the name comes from?

Lol.. no! Actually I don't know when I came up with the name - it just sort of popped into my head.

Was theirs in poi form? Had they seen the future of my toys? Did it look good? eek biggrin

The more I make in a single batch, the cheaper they become... it's just finding the capital to do it that's the tricky bit!

Cake or Death?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I could buy 51% of the hyperlight company! smile

(though im not up for investing if its a business flop!)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I'll buy the other 51% wink

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

Written by: Gayle......!

Lol.. no! Actually I don't know when I came up with the name - it just sort of popped into my head.

Was theirs in poi form? Had they seen the future of my toys? Did it look good? eek biggrin

Well it was a glowing (bloody bright) globe which transmitted messages to Clark from his parents. If Superman had two of them, he'd be giving you a run for your money i reckon! ubblol

I've been trying to find an image but can't frown

Gayle.....!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Ive just spent the past 20 minutes looking for a picture. I know the exact thing you are talking about \Gayle, but I reckon it looks more like a white globall! ubblol

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
but little brighter and didn't break when they dropped it! ubblol

Gayle.....!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
What happened if they tapped it? Did it go into some sort of confusing menu system? wink

Cake or Death?

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Well, it turned it on. Only one program setting tho frown

Gayle.....!

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Well that's better than nothing smile

Getting back to the original thread topic a bit; I've been thinking of using a similar tap system to turn the hyperlights on / off and to get them syncronised. If there's a few set programs on them I might well use the same mechanism to choose between them. Either way it would be vastly simpler than the old aerotech scheme. I've tried using Chutney's meteors before and found them immensly confusing!

Cake or Death?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Someone cool had an idea after we discussed the new Aerotech ultimates.

What would the chances be of having some RF (Radio Frequency) controlled poi?

biggrin

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
That's certainly an add-on I've thought about, but it would be somewhat more complicated. I'd probably sell it as an add-on module because I would think most people would be happy with the base units.

Also, if you had a radio control of some sort, what would you hold it with while you're spinning a pair of poi? wink

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
... make the remote control float!! Anti-grav devices!!

Mr Hyperlight sir, this may/may not have been asked, and I cant be bothred with a search, but whats teh weight distribution gonna be like... ie... for contact?

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i could use the controller with my teeth, in the same way as i show off when i smoke a fag whilst spinning!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
"what would you hold it with"

Id use the usb port on the computer if I were you! ubblol

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Asena

Mr Hyperlight sir, this may/may not have been asked, and I cant be bothred with a search, but whats teh weight distribution gonna be like... ie... for contact?

Weight distribution? Well the balls themselves should be almost perfectly balanced. If you're talking about where the weight will be within the sock, the answer's all at the end with the ball. If you're asking how much they weigh, the answer is the weight of 2xAA batteries + a bit for the plastic housing. It should be relatively easy to add more weight if people want them heavier too - it'll just be a case of screwing more weights onto a spindle in the middle of the ball.

Does that help? smile

Written by: UmbiliciformCraterOnFace

"what would you hold it with"

Id use the usb port on the computer if I were you! ubblol

...so you can type and spin at the same time then? Impressive stuff wink

I think for everyone who doesn't do proper performances (you and me rather than chimera for example) the pre-programmed sequences will be fine. Unless you've got a show that needs sequencing to lights or something, I find it hard to see how a pre-programmed sequence wouldn't be enough? smile
EDITED_BY: *HyperLight (1154534369)

Cake or Death?

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
Thats bonza... i just wanted to know if I tried to roll one... it wouldnt wobble all funny cos its really heavy on one side!

Spin and typing? thats nothing....

Its all the practice he gets from one handed internet searching tongue wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*nods*

biggrin

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
just wondering what the staff design will be like? what way would you put the LEDS, from the ends to the middle or more than two like a aerotech?
I have an idea, what about a hyperlight at each end pointing to the middle. The mid section of the staff clear tough tube, filled with silver glitter and water or uv glow ink? cap the ends water tight, the cap would fit your board. the LEDS would reflect off the glitter, as it spins the glitter should move? It would glow and sparkle, refelct the light in every direction! ubbidea

Didn't your mother tell you not to play with fire? You'll get burt. Did i listen, No! Burns heal!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Word up Bard smile hug2
Are you suggesting filling an electric staff, with water? umm

Can you see where im going here? ubblol

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
My plans (which to be brutally honest are only back of the envelope stuff so far) are to stick an LED at each end of the staff. The batteries (4xAAA or AA, 2 at each end) would act as ballast.

One thing that been bothering me about the staf design was that I suspected the ends wouldn't be weighty enough to spin nicely. Ideally, the center would be light and strong and the ends heavy to give the thing momentum. I have some cunning ideas to make it stronger although your idea of using water might work to weight the thing. Only problem with that is:

a) What if it leaks? HyperLights are quite powerful devices and the idea of something cracking and electrocuting someone scares me!
b) You'd need something to stop the liquid going funny if it's left in the sun - it could grow algae or something if you're not careful
c) Even plastic tends to be slightly porous so you might find over time that air gradually creeps in. If you've got air in there, you might find the staff starts to slosh about which would probably make it feel less comfortable / predictable to spin.
d) If the staff is left in the sun, water isn't all that compressable (compared to air for example) so if it got really hot, it might crack and then leak (see point a!).

...as a result, water might not be the best choice. My ideas that will make the thing stronger should also help with the diffusing although I think your glitter idea does sound pretty cool biggrin

Cake or Death?

Brad_FireSILVER Member
13 posts

Posted:
the idea of it sounded good at the time, i see your point's rolleyes

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I only foudn out that having a stick of water didnt work... when I made a stick of water.. and dropped it.

ubblol

Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

I think your glitter idea does sound pretty cool biggrin

I think it sounds wicked, although not sure about the water.

Jonny, i thought you had found a picture of the hyperlight and got all excited!

Gayle.....!

Page: ...