Forums > Social Chat > Dented Tin (Can) Syndrome

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I'm attracted to beauty. I like symmetry. I like when things are perfect.

But sometimes when I'm doing my groceries, I buy dented tins. Not deliberately, but I pick them up (e.g. diced tomatoes) see the dent, and can't bring myself to put it back on the shelf to swop it for a perfect tin.

I start to think something along the lines of "I'm sitting on the shelf watching while all the other tins get snapped up.. nobody wants me."

It's sort of like, if I were going to the dog shelter to adopt a dog, I'd probably end up getting a mongrel puppy with a broken leg just because I felt sorry for it.

But not. Tins aren't alive.. they, as far as I know, don't have feelings.. Dents if anything probably compromise the contents of the tin because the dent could expose raw metal to the food.

Why am I chasing happy endings for supermarket goods.. What the hell is wrong with me?

Oh how tragic.. a dented tin..

What am I doing.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
its a basic human trait to attach emotion to things - it helps us figure out how they might 'react' (ok it helped our forebearers do this) - im guessing its a hang over from that

im pretty sure everyone does things similar - we like happy endings so we try and make them - even if in this case it involves having your head ripped off and your guts emptied into tonights dinner tongue

back

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
I can't throw ANYTHING with a face away. Teddies are a definite no no. Even packaging can be difficult.

But maybe i'm just weird.

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I usually put the dented ones back because someone once told me stuff in them gets bad quicker. It's probably wrong though ubblol

Did you see Clerks? With the school councillors trying to buy the perfect dozen of eggs? That's more like me, only I don't end up smashing things. But I have probably gone through a whole stack of banana boxes dozens of times to find the nicest-looking ones ubblol

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
lol clerks rocks

as far as i know dented tins are as safe as un dented ones tongue i cant see any reason for them to go off quicker either unless the tin is actually punctured

as for things with faces like i said humans tend to give things emotions and things with faces even more so (mainly because anything man made with a face will have a more human face to start with)

back

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
It's not wrong, when was studying Hospitality we did a health and safety part of our course and the lecturer told me that dented cans are generally not good for you. Most five star restaurants that used tinned items will either reject and give back dented tins or throw them away without using the contents because they are considered to be contaminated once they are dented.

I found that bizzare, but after hearing it I no longer buy dented tins.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Mould: Dented damaged or incorrectly processed tins may allow mould growth to occur. This could indicate an error in production or storage.

Take from: https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/index.cfm?request=c1001212

Thought I would just back up my claim with a quote from a site....ummm....a lot of the health sites have this same sentence on their sites.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

trying to buy the perfect dozen of eggs

My friends once had a half dozen pack of eggs known as the holy grail of egg's as every single egg was a double yolker!!

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ok for steel cans - what about aluminium? from what i remember of chemistry there shouldn't be an issue...

and with steel cans i still imagine the time needed for the can to rust through must be quite a while

unless your planning to leave cans for a long time they should be ok....

back

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
Regarding Aluminum cans (as Americans call them), I know that aluminum soft drink cans have a thin coating of plastic on the inside, to prevent an aluminum from touching the drink. I have heard that aluminum in the body is a bad thing (perhaps linked to old age memory loss), and thus I avoid buying deoderant with aluminum in it. I have no problem with drinking from aluminum cans, since I know that they have the plastic coating.

If the can has a serious dent, I suspect that it might be possible for the plastic coating to be breached. Of course, the drink's exposure to aluminum would be extremely tiny (since the rest of the coating would still be intact.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Most cans now have a thin coating of varnish on the inside but this is more to do with the *opening a can, using only part of the ingredients, and sticking the rest in the fridge for later* philosophy. Metal oxidizes, so when that can sits in your fridge for a few days unhealthy chemicals form which can contaminate your food. That's why ( at least in the restaurant industry ) cans in the fridge are taboo.

The dented can thing is more to do with hairline cracks that could accompany the dent. Cracks are a source of possible contamination, who knows what could be breeding inside a cracked can, salmonella? botulism? There's no way you can tell if a can does have a crack, so to be on the safe side, avoid them.

Now, attributing human emotions to inanimate objects. Ikea actually did a commercial using this idea a few years ago, did you see it? the one with the lamp? I have to agree with the marketers, it really is stupid when you think about, but so are a lot of the things we do. You may want to think that dented can you bought got a warm fuzzy feeling from your compassion, it didn't, but the grocery store that would have otherwise been stuck with it sure did.

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
It's like that Ikea commercial with the lamp.

I still cry at night because it's so sad.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I say - choose the dented cans...

They are lost and lonely and need someone to give them love.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

*nods* i try to wear all my shoes regularly so they don't get lonely and feel neglected.

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: wonderloey

I say - choose the dented cans...

They are lost and lonely and need someone to give them love.

Someone who understands! hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: yoni

Written by: Birgit

trying to buy the perfect dozen of eggs

My friends once had a half dozen pack of eggs known as the holy grail of egg's as every single egg was a double yolker!!

i can top that, about 3 years ago we got a dozen eggs and 10 of them were double yokers, it was the craziest moment of my life. umm

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
I feel left out,, never had a double yoker in my life frown

I quite happily buy dented cans of beans/what ever though.

With me its having trouble throwing away bits of tech,, especially if it still works,, and yeah I'm sad enough to name all my computers,, so when the end comes its like saying goodbye to an old friend,, even if its just retirement to to cupboard of hugeness in my hallway...

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
supposedly with AL cans even if they are dented just a little it is the hairline fractures that can let bacteria through and make the product go bad...and the cracks are so small you can't see
i think they used to say it lead to botulism

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
thats what stout said

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Choose the dented ones and ask for a discount. I think I must be attracted to dented cans as I seem to get lots of them. I always find it an odd sensation when you are casually reaching for a can and suddenly its dented.

Dented paint tins are often really well discounted and they probably would even go off.

Im the sort of person who strokes the cerral boxes looking for the one with the prize in it biggrin biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

Im the sort of person who strokes the cerral boxes looking for the one with the prize in it biggrin biggrin

ubblol ubblol

I'm still spewing I didn't get a sarong in my promotional Special K box :hehe..:

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
You have to shake Kinder Eggs to find out if there's a figure in it, or just the average model thing... I had a success quote of 1:2 with the Lord of the Rings figures they had, with a 1:7 quote of eggs being in toys in the first place!! biggrin

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
I shake Kinder eggs when I'm buying them, but I never seem to figure it out..

*insert sigh here*

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I have a phobia about using toilet paper that has pictures of things with faces on them. I kind of worry about how that cute puppy feels about being shoved in places I can't see.

So my bloke goes out of his way to buy puppy paper.

Ooh, and I can't leave odd numbers of biscuits in the packet just in case they get lonely.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
So you'd have a problem with a packet of timtams being a prime number then, wouldn't you? tongue

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I feel horrible about throwing out the kinder surprise toys I don't like... oh, and about leaving my fav stuffed toy lying on his head when I go out wink

(G.W. Dahlquist)

_Aimée_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
I know what you're all saying about knowing that something isn't loved!

My mum has jsut rang me. My step dad works at the local police station, and theres a little jack russle in the pound there that has been handed in. My mum is collecting her tomorrow because she can't stand to see her unloved!
Kadie will have a jack russelly friend to play with! Yay!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

So you'd have a problem with a packet of timtams being a prime number then, wouldn't you?

There's a reason why you *have* to eat a whole pack in one go, you know.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Spanner

eek I could have written that post, Ry!

I've given a home to many an imperfect purchase. When I buy something I also tend to arrange the remaining products in groups so that none of them are lonely and they're all with their mates cool

ubblove

I'm not sure though whether little eccentricities en masse is a good thing.. ubblol

glow_monkeyDIAMOND Member
21 posts

Posted:
but then you have the problem of there being one empty packet, would you use that to justify eating two packs

keep your country's future secure, report a taroist

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
ahh dented cans..

you know that i agree.

they can't just be left there.. waiting.. watching all the shiny, perfect cans being taken away..

i think it's something within us that we've recognised, 'hey, i'm not perfect'.. then we shouldn't strive to be perfect.. translated into dented can language.. it's ok to not be the smooth shiny can.. as long as we're still appreciated for what's under the label.

Page: