Forums > Social Chat > When should one move on to fire poi?????

Login/Join to Participate

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
i really want to get into fire poi....it looks amazing, and no one in my area does it, So i wanna do it. But i dont know If i should cuz I am very scared that i might get injured. Im pretty good at glowstringing, can do almost every single move even btb weave...any ideas on when I should start fire poi?? or whether its a good idea?? or what to begin with?? thanks ahead of time

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

Kristy-Leemember
26 posts

Posted:
Fire poi can be dangerous if you don't take precautions. Doing it with someone else makes it heaps safer, just keep and eye on each other make sure hair, shirts, or pants don't get set on fire, have a wet towel or water bucket close by is handy too. I've been doing poi and stick for over 5 years on and off and started off straight away on lit wicks, and I don't have any war stories, no injury's or anything, maybe a bit of hair burning, and a few bruises but nothing serious, but your poi are moving so fast they don't usually get a chance to catch you for too long anyhow (make sure you wear close fitting clothes and have your hair tied back)
Just get into it! Your have got to hear the flame as it passes by your head..oohhh it sounds great-as it whooshes past..happy twirling

Magickal_Kaleidoscopemember
119 posts

Posted:
fire poi's are fine just wear a long sleeve shirt and some jeans and a beanie or a bandanna.
the only injuries ive ever tried was doing wraps in shorts and short sleeved shirt.
then there was this one time with an attempted neck wrap but im not going to try that1 again

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Phitokrboy, there's alot of info on the site here you should read through first. FAQ on fire safety

Best thing to do is practice with some non-glowstring poi's as well, so you get used to the different dynamics.

Also remember there are helath risks associated with breathing in the smoke while fire-spinning. As well as absorbing any fuel that may splash on your skin during the twirl

Black star, just coz you haven't hurt yourself doesn't mean it is safe!

That's a very dangerous comment to make to others, you haven't even talkjed about not wearing loose weave nylon (the sort that melts onto skin and leaves scars for the rets of your life), having a safety watching etc etc etc.

I'm pleased you have yet to hurt yourself, but that doesn't mean you won't in the future.

In fact, the more you spin fire, the higher the chance something will go wrong, statistically speaking.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Well spoke Charles. Well spoke and sound advice indeed. We play with fire, there is really nothing "safe" about it, some things are just MORE safe than others.

Anyway, when to move on to fire is really a personal decision. As Charles said, use something heavier to practice on, as fire poi are conciderably heavier than glowsticks. When you can do all the moves smoothely, transitioning cleanly and not thwap yourself regularly, then there is a good chance you are close to ready.

Before you start with fire here are a few things I highly recommend you do....

1) Burn in new poi without spinning them. Lay them on the ground and let them burn until the flame is about an inch or so above the wick head, then smother out. First burns are often very high in heat and intensity on fresh toys.

2) Practice with your "fire poi" unlit so that you are comfortable with them.

3) Find someone you trust with your life, then teach that person how to save it should something go wrong. Practice your stop, drop and rolls and review all the fire safety information you can find on this site.

Beyond that it takes courage and a willingness to have fun.
One word of warning that few people remember to tell you about...it is loud...very cool sounding but loud at first, very smokey and in the dark can have a really awesome yet disorienting strobe effect.
Only you can determine your readiness.
Be prepared. Be responsible and HAVE FUN!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pHoTiKrBOImember
27 posts

Posted:
damn i am scared silly hehe....i dont htink im ready for it yet, maybe in a couple more years

pHoTiK kReW!!!!!

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
not to be dicouraging or anything but i'm still scared....
ive been twirling for about 8 months and i wont even think about fire...
for one thing i got the equip. secondly, i'm still learning...
can't quite get the bhb weave done yet....
i have a question for the wise too,...
what is so dangerous about those beaming poi?
they look pretty safe to me....

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

Magickal_Kaleidoscopemember
119 posts

Posted:
its good to take precautions but fire poi are fun and well worth any risks.
like it says on some1's quote ,
Burns heal and chicks dig scars i have 3 from twirling 2 on my legs and 1 on the back of my neck.
i was at a party and 1 of my friends had a go he'd never even seen poi before he burnt all the hairs off his arm and legs it was quite amusin.
but listen to pele and charles.
get some fire poi , then practice with them unlit.
and ull b right.
good luck

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Mr. Box....lol beaming balls are for the well practiced. I have been doing this for years and would rather play with fire! (No offense Malcolm, you know I love you). I played with some beamers once and the bruise stayed on my leg for a few weeks. They are heavy and hard acrylic so when you get hit with them, you know it...well at least you'll figure it out when you wake up! LOL

There have been a few who didn't heed the warnings about them being for the well seasoned..and there have been some black eyes, mild concussions and I believe one broken nose from them.

They take alot more time and SLOOOOOOOW practice! LOL

Pele

poiaholic22member
531 posts

Posted:
Mr Box to still be scared at this point is a good thing.It means you have a respect for the danger involved in what you are doing.

By the way,I would sooner let a newbie swing my fire poi while lit (not saying you should) before I would even let them look at my beamers.A girl once asked me to use mine after seeing me spin them and I of course said no.She than said that she wouldn't break them.I replied "I'm not worried about you breaking them,I'm worried about them breaking you".Seriously dude they hurt like a motherf**ker.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I managed to hit myself in the back of the head with a synchonised double blow that was pretty impressive. Beamers really really hurt.

As for the:

quote:
Burns heal and chicks dig scars
Okay, I have discussed scars and the stories behind them with partners, but not many girls I know do the "isn't he all manly" bit just cos a bloke has some scar tissue. And burn scars tend to go towards the disfiguring, rather than alluring. So what is the deal? It is like you can use that phrase to justify any kind of stupidity.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
quote:
[Q] Okay, I have discussed scars and the stories behind them with partners, but not many girls I know do the "isn't he all manly" bit just cos a bloke has some scar tissue. And burn scars tend to go towards the disfiguring, rather than alluring. So what is the deal? It is like you can use that phrase to justify any kind of stupidity. [/QB]
*applauds*

Burn scars do not at all say "sexy" at all, especially after telling people "Oh, I'm a fire dancer/spinner. See my scars?" It shows either an accident or irresponsibility that I do not think is attractive. I think the least number of scars on a spinner is far more attractive.

Pele

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
quote:
fire poi are fun and well worth any risks
You have got to be kidding! Blackstar, SOME burns heal, some don't.

some keep on burning until the person who has them dies. Or they lose the use of their hands coz the chains wrapped around them and it burnt through their nerves... I know these are worse case scenarios, but don't fool yourself into thinking it can't happen to you. Even less, don't tell others that any risk is worth it. That type of comment is just insane... (in my opnion, of course)

as for
quote:
chicks dig scars
you may be telling yourself that if you have them, but Hollywood makes money of what chicks and guys like in the opposite sex.

And I think about one leading man in a thousand has any visible scars while onscreen. and those are usually the pumped up testosterone-full martial arts and corny action flicks that have a target audience of 17-25 year old males.

Far be it from me to disgree with billions of dollars of successful crap movies though...

[ 27. January 2003, 20:14: Message edited by: Charles (INFERNO) ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?