Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Does anyone know what the white fire poi wicks you commonly get in Thailand are made from (no, it's not cotton)? They're also being sold on ebay.co.uk these days.

I think it might be asbestos tape (used for thermal insulation), which could have health implications, but I'm not 100% sure.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I didn't think it was legal to sell anything with asbestos in it these days?

I may be wrong...please correct me if I am...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I have some now. (my idiot brother brought them back for me.) but I have no was of checking if it's asbestos. Any ideas?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
maybe comtact the company that prodcued asbestos? i'm pretty sure they havent manafactured asbestos this century so i doubt it would be, still better not light up wink

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
Check out this website:

https://www.healthdangers.com/injuries/mesothelioma/asbestos.htm

According to it asbestos is actually still legal in the US, although not used so much. So I doubt if it's illegal in Thailand!

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Apparently asbestos is mostly used for building things like cement, roof tiles, drain pipes and the like.

Some is used in vinyl produts, a lot id used in brake and clutch production.

Only 2% of imported asbestos to Thailand is used for Heat Insultaing materials.

To me that would say that it is hard to come by...

But have a read and see what you think:

https://www.hvbg.de/e/asbest/konfrep/konfrep/repbeitr/siriruttanapruk_en.pdf

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
They're made from fiberglass, most likely

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
My best friend uses asbestos torches for fire eating. He got the idea from Red Stuart - a sideshow performer who has used them for 40+ years. I think they're crazy but since Red is like 60 years old and still kickin' I suppose using aspestos wick isn't really as bad as one might think. They burn up slower than Kevlar and I suppose for things like poi and staff wicks, you don't have a lot to worry about... However, I wouldn't go putting it in my mouth.

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Mesothelioma can lie dormant for YEARS!!!!

My grandfather worked in the mines when he was in his twenties, he died two years ago after being diagnosed two and a half years early with it.

He died aged 78....

Asbestos is NOT something to be played with....

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I mean if asbestos wasn't that dangerous, they would have saved the millions of pounds and not pulled it out of every building they put it in...

Anyway: I think the wicks are actually paper. They have the consistency of paper, and they flake off really easily like processed paper. They don't have any of the characteristics of fibreglass. They are very opaque white, and they smell slightly chemically, like they have fire retardent on them. That's my guess anyway. They so far don't have any of the rash inducing qualities of fibreglass...

Plus the entire thing is very cheaply made, no dowel for christsakes! I think the poi community would be a lot better off if these things weren't made. I'm sure a lot of beginners must get discoraged by such bad fire equipment.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I'm basing my fiberglass comment on an answer I got to the asbestos question when I posted it on Tribe, but I like the paper theory better. This material holds on to fuel better than kevlar or fiberglass, and takes considerably longer to saturate too ( Thai wicks take about a minute for the bubbling to stop when immersed in fuel )

I wonder how I can find out for sure what this stuff is? If it is paper that must be some fire retardant they're using. I just happen to have a brand new set sitting right here. They do have dowel cores,( but I know the crappy ones you mean, and I've almost had a bad experience with them) they do need some modifications, though, like replacing the screws, and cutting off the 1/2" of tube sticking out the top.

I sure would like a proper set of cathedrals made of this stuff.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I checked all 'fire staff' on ebay.co.uk and they are KEVLAR wicked. We have to learn from past so, NO ASBEST!.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Yell fire!SILVER Member
151 posts

Posted:
No, they're not all Kevlar:

https://search.ebay.co.uk/search/search.d...op=1&fsoo=1

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Interesting, the fire staffs all do have kevlar wicks, today at least. Richee. the above poi link illustrates the white wicking material we're discussing, just look at any of the full moon stuff.

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
if your unsure if it's asbestos or not contact any insulation companys that do asbestos removal as they will have the means of getting it tested. i would be horrified if it is asbestos as i used to work around it.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
well ive decided to ask the easy way, and ask the seller

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?