BrokenLeavesSILVER Member
48 posts

Posted:
Okay I have done a search on this, but didn't find what i was looking for...so apolagises if this has been asked a million times now...

okay so so i think wraps look quite nice so i tryed to teach myself......fave looking being the spiral wrap..and well air wrap which would be too hard for me right now....

Okay so after alot of practicing i can get the poi to wrap round my hands....

but either only one poi bounces back and therefore i end up having them both going the same direction and not spiraling back out and therefore getting tangelled and going wrong...or it just gets tangelled...

is there any key to doing this, I've studyed it on vid over and over and over.....

confused

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
when you make the poi spiral inwards put one hand on top of the other (both facing down) and twist your hands with the motion of the poi. As you feel them get to the centre flick your wrists back the opposite way (untangling your arms) and push your hands away from each other (one up, one down). Even if you mistime the wrist flick you can untie yourself by pusihng your hands apart.

Hope that helps smile

48 posts

Posted:
Thank you

Ill give that a go tomorrow...

jaeroSILVER Member
your new best enemy
246 posts

Posted:
from your perspective, the poi should be going counter clockwise. put your left hand face up, with your right hand above it faced left, slightly angled down. when the poi heads get close to your hands, twist them in the direction the poi are moving to absorb a little bit of the pois speed. and that point, move your hands back toward their normal position except you should now also be slowly pulling your hands apart to speed up the poi... pully style. now, the poi are going clockwise.

I'll get there too late if I shorten my stride, I'll get there too soon if I find me a ride, I'll never move forward if I try to hide this path that I've troden one step at a time.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
Over on glowsticking.com we have numerous tutorials on various wrapping techniques, including the spiral. Sadly the forums are down right now but hopefully they'll be back up again sometime soon.
Until then, try going into them from a lock out, then clap your hands together and let the poi wrap around your hands. The trick is to start pulling your hands apart while the poi are still in the process of wrapping.

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

MuskelungeGOLD Member
55 posts

Posted:
I do spiral wraps differently than Seye. I put my hands together, palms facing in. Then I pull my fingers down towards my wrists, to bring the poi strings in towards my wrists. Then I let the strings wrap around my wrists. I notice that my hands do a little turn--about a quarter of the way around--in the direction the poi are spinning. When the poi hit my hands, I quickly twist my hands the other direction to bounce them off my hands, then procede to pull my hands apart to give the poi more power.
Hope that explanation helps a bit.

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
the forums are back up.

Here's the page for the tutorial, the hosting is still having problems but the new version will be up soon.

https://www.glowsticking.com/nu/item/93

EDITED_BY: AngeDeLumiere (1150037300)

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

48 posts

Posted:
thank you :-), I think I have it now, it messes up frequently but its deffinitly a more common then not thing i can do it

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
What exactly is a spiral wrap?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Younglegend

What exactly is a spiral wrap?

I'll do one tonight and film it. May be a little shaky because ive only just learnt to do them about 3 days ago. Im finding they help me with planes quite a bit though.

its when the poi wrap around the hand and spiral in around the hand then back out and into a weave again

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
basic spiral wrap

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Good work geeza. I especially like the way you turned into it from a weave, rather than using strictly wallplane circles...Cheers, it didn't look shaky at all

Younglegendnewbie
13 posts

Posted:
Thanks that was awesome

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
cheers for the comments -you dont have to reverse the weave, just turn around (but then id have my back to the camera of course)