Forums > Help! > Reset to factory settings

Login/Join to Participate

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I have a faulty O2 X3 mobile phone. It allows me to turn it on as long as the sim card is not in the hand set but it won't allow me to do anything without the sim card in it. The sim card is not faulty as it it working perfectly well in another phone.

What I need to know is, how can I put my O2 X3 phone back to it's factory settings and remove all my personal infomation (i.e. phone lists etc) from it if I can only turn it on with no sim card in it. Is it possible?

I ask because I have been told I can still sell it on ebay as long as I say it's faulty and I might as well get some money for it and all it's working extras (charger, hands free kit, etc). I don't want to sell it with all the phone numbers etc still on it, incase someone can extract that infomation from it.

Help!

ubbrollsmile

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Depending on the phone the phone numbers may be mainly stored on the simm anyway-

leaving the battery out for a week will probably clear the cmos (the memory on the phone) and effectively return it to factory settings. Not a definite solution, but an idea.

Could you pop to the o2 shop and ask them to put a simm in and see if it works?

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I asked the O2 shop to do that already Mr C and they didn't help much. They just told me they didn't make the model of phone any more and that it was out of it's warrenty and therefore nothing they could do for me.

It has already had the battery out of it for over a week but yet when I put the battery back in with no sim card the picture I had on the screen still comes up, so I'm guessing the phone memory still has it's phone numbers too.

It also has a 32 MB memory card in it that I'd like to try and get some pictures off if I can. I might have to do that by putting the card into another phone though.

Thanks for the ideas though. hug

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
with the memory card you can also just take it straight to boots or jessops or someplace and download them straight to cd...

i always thought that on most phones there was an emergency reset button also, some little bit you prang with a needle because it's so small and it resets itself... but i just had a close look at my phone and i can't see such a thing... have you tried sticking another sim card in it to see if you can fool it into working for long enough to wipe it's brain?

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: NOn

i always thought that on most phones there was an emergency reset button also, some little bit you prang with a needle because it's so small and it resets itself...

I thought that was tamagotchi's? ubblol

Sell the phone on ebay if you can, and buy a new spangly one hug

1,643 posts

Posted:
hehe, yeah that's where i probably got the idea from, i was convinced that all electonical equipment had it, but now i'm not so sure.... biggrin

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Oh if only they all had that little 'reset' button...my life would be a hella lot easier ubblol

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
Life needs an undo function. Period.

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
So Guess what people are saying by not posting in here is it isn't possible to reset my phone without a sim card in it.... Oh well. I'll just have to sell off all the gubins that goes with the phone without it.

1,643 posts

Posted:
well i think it's strange, have you contacted the manufacturer of the phone? by which i mean not O2 as they presumably just acquire the technology rather than design it like all the other networks, perhaps there is a secret key combination or something that they don't know or won't tell you about because it's in their interest to sell you a new one...

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Yeh sorry Skully looks like your not gonna be able to do a factory reset, anyway it sounds like hardware problems anyway.

Future note for anyone with a phone and hasnt done it, copy all of your contacts to both memories(phone and sim) the option shouldbe in your contacts settings menu, this way you wont loose them should your phone bugger

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
The phone is censored ! I know this, but strangely people on ebay will buy them to take apart and use the parts of the phone to fix others, especially if the phone is no longer being made.... such as mine. I just wanted to be able to get rid of any of my personal stuff off the phone memory.

I had a copy of the phone numbers on my computer Will, so alls well with that.

I was just hoping to get a bit of cash back on the phone seeing as it cost me so much when I got it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Bloody waranties!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Skully, i might be being a tad stupid but have you tried somebody elses sim card. I'm only asking cos your posts say the sim card, not any sim card. confused

The only reason i ask, is if the stuff is stored on the phone and not the sim card then putting a different sim card in shouldn't affect what is shown and you can delete it then.

Or am i right in thinking, that you've tried this and it still doesn't turn on no matter what?

Other than that - if it doesn't turn on with any sim card in it then i don't think you can delete the stuff. You need to get the thing switched on to get to the menu option. I don't know any technie short cuts for phones. I think the only was to be able to do this is to get it repaired which would cost you more money.

Short of that, send me the phone and i'll bash it over the head with a bat which makes it forget all the information that was ever stored on it. wink

I hope you manage to sort something out hug

Gayle.....!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
As yet I haven't tried another sim card in there as it is an O2 locked phone and the only person I know on O2 is Jon and he is in london and I'm in Wales.... bit of a bummer really ubblol I will be giving that a try though when I see him next. I'm not holding out much hope though. The phone is utterly screwy!

I think I'll just have to sell all charger, headphones, computer connector etc on their own.

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
Might be able to help you there, a colleague was asking if anyone wanted an O2 sim card the other day. She's left now, but I'll ask her if she still has it on Monday if it might help?

PM me so's my rubbish head doesn't forget!

Failing that, threaten to hit it. I swear electronic stuff can hear you say that.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!