Posted:
Just read this: Surgeon gave his own blood as heart boy lay dying on table

https://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2204387,00.html
what a legend!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
That is absolutely wonderful what the guy did but I'm just sad that giving blood isn't something that everyone is more than willing to do...

I would love to think that in the same situation that everyone (blood type allowing) would roll up their sleeve and strap on the tourniquet without hesitation... Especially when someone's life is hanging in the balance then and there...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I would do it if they would let me! frown

I think that doctor is brilliant....especially after he just had something to eat and drink and went in to finish it all up...WOW!!!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Why won't they let you?

Is it because if your blood touches the floor it'll turn into a army of giant scorpians or something?

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I wish it was something that interesting...that could be cool to watch...nah it is simple...you have to be over a certain weight to give blood I am not that certain weight.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
eek Eek thats abit shockingly irrisponsible, you cant just go giving blood without going through the usuall procedures first though, what would the world come too if that was the norm

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Wengridnewbie
10 posts

Posted:
Having said that i think the questions you have to answer before you can donate blood puts some people off.

Also for those of us who dont go looking to do it but might be willing to do it if asked theres not much advertisment (in this area) about where to go or whatever. i mean university has a van thing that comes around every so often but they dont tell us when unless u live on campus so they get less people going.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
@brit-joe:

Written by: that article

Knowing that the hospital was short of supplies, the team had screened Dr Weinstein’s blood the day before for compatibility

Those sorts of procedures?

Or you mean all the junk that goes with donating in western society? Seems to me that they didn't have time to fill out paperwork...

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

Gremlin_Loumember
131 posts

Posted:
*poke* While we're on the subject i'm going to poke everyone into thinking about joining the bone marrow register next time they give blood. Chances are you won;t get called up, but if you are you get a chance to save someones life (and get 5days off work, pampered, told how great you are etc)

*poke*

'If your deeds shouldn't be known, perhaps they shouldn't be done, if your words shouldn't be shared, perhaps they shouldn't be spoken. Act with attention, for all your acts have consequences" (Rabbi Judah HaNassi)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i donated like three weeks ago, it only takes about an hour, and usually you can book it to a time that suits you. in australia after you donate you get free food and drink as well biggrin.

there are quite a few restrictions to donating, and according to stats i got from the Australian Red Cross Blood Donation Service in the mail today only 1 in every 30 eligible people in Australia donate frown.

i'm 0+ smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
To answer your question Brit_Joe, I am not allowed to donate in my home country, so I don't.

I think, after re_evaluating, I am allowed to donate in england tho, so I probably will when I am over there!

(Can't donate in the US cos I lived in germany, ergo I must have mad cow disease).

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I was listening today that they will organise a bus to come and get groups of 6 or more and you get a free movie ticket and yoiu get to be part of some club that sounded like a vampire club.

They told me not to come back too, I kept vomiting and fainting. frown

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
theres many ppl who cant donate for many reasons.

i cant because i am aneamic thats what my doctor told me

my aneamia drops really low at times

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
guide lines for donating in australia here.

you can never donate in australia if you have:
.lived in the UK between 1980-1996 for a cumulative period of 6 months or more (mad cow disease)
. are HIV positive
.injected drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist
.have hepatitis B or C
.had open heart surgery

additionally you can have you iligibility temporarily suspended if you:

• had a tattoo (in the last 12 months)
• had a blood transfusion(in the last 12 months)
• had any piercing performed with clean, single use disposable equipment (in which case Plasma only can be used)
• have been in prison or lock up(in the last 12 months)
• had male to male sex(in the last 12 months)
• had sex with a prostitute(in the last 12 months)
• had a partner with hepatitis B or C(in the last 12 months)
• are pregnant or breast feeding
• have a cold, flu, sore throat or diarrhoea
• have been taken antibiotics in the last 5 days
• had dental work (fillings/cleaning in the last 24 hours and 1 week for root canal treatment)

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
I have a friend who donated blood, and persuaded me (it didn't take much) to start giving blood too. Unfortunately the very first time we went together she was told that she couldn't give blood any more because of a new guideline about blood transfusions (she had one when she was tiny from her dad).

Me, I'm B+ and help people with sickle-cell anaemia! biggrin

It's actually quite fun, although a bit disturbing because when I got back home, I live on the third floor, and actually got really tired walking up the stairs, a very strange sensation!

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mr Majestik

guide lines for donating in australia here.

you can never donate in australia if you have:
.lived in the UK between 1980-1996 for a cumulative period of 6 months or more (mad cow disease)
. are HIV positive
.injected drugs not prescribed by a doctor or dentist
.have hepatitis B or C
.had open heart surgery

additionally you can have you iligibility temporarily suspended if you:

• had a tattoo (in the last 12 months)
• had a blood transfusion(in the last 12 months)
• had any piercing performed with clean, single use disposable equipment (in which case Plasma only can be used)
• have been in prison or lock up(in the last 12 months)
• had male to male sex(in the last 12 months)
• had sex with a prostitute(in the last 12 months)
• had a partner with hepatitis B or C(in the last 12 months)
• are pregnant or breast feeding
• have a cold, flu, sore throat or diarrhoea
• have been taken antibiotics in the last 5 days
• had dental work (fillings/cleaning in the last 24 hours and 1 week for root canal treatment)

That's nearly over half of all potential applicants out of the window then? And how come female to female sex is allowed?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon Shaolin

That's nearly over half of all potential applicants out of the window then? And how come female to female sex is allowed?

good question, i dont know, they didnt ask me if i'd had female to female sex when i went in wink

Written by: Sethis

It's actually quite fun

yeah, during the first interview they give you a milkshake or a sugary drink, then you get to sit in a big chair that reclies for you, no effort needed! they stick a huuuuge needle in you, but you dont have to look and can barely feel it, you can just look the other way and read a mag or something for 15 minutes. Afterwards they give you another sugary drink and something to eat. last week i got a shiny new card sent in the mail saying i'm a blood donor biggrin go me!

wonderloeyenthusiast
255 posts

Posted:
Pfft.. don't get me started on the blood donation rules in Oz...

I have several friends who would love to donate but can't... For whatever reason...

But I love watching it all ooze out.. Its actually a lot of fun!

As for anaemia, I donate regularly to keep an eye on my own haemoglobin levels, that way i get to make sure i'm still healthy.

"You've gone from Loey the Wonder Lesbian to everyone wondering if you are a lesbian." - Shadowman

Yesterday is yesterday. If we try to recapture it, we will only lose tomorrow.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
i can't donate, well, maybe i can in a week or so
don't way enough
have *extraneous* chemicals in my blood

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Female to female sex is allowed because of the way things go physicly, lesbian sex is the most safe kind of sex you can have with very little chance of anything spreading (other than genital warts or thrush of some sort hehe)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
What I don't get is why he couldn't donate just before the case rather than having to stop in the middle of it all.

Oh...and I've met this surgeon, albeit very briefly. He works at Montefiore Medical Center, which is our sister hospital.
EDITED_BY: Doc Lightning (1149275760)

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

Female to female sex is allowed because of the way things go physicly, lesbian sex is the most safe kind of sex you can have with very little chance of anything spreading (other than genital warts or thrush of some sort hehe)

Are you forgetting Chlamydia? tongue

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
no, we dont dont talk about that wink

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:

Mr M, do you know if having herpies stops you from being able to donate in oz? i know it asked me on the form when i went in last time but i couldn't donate anyways cuz of a new or infected pericing or something... I've never had a coldsore, but it doesn't mean i don't have herpies... but it made me think "there goes another 1/3 of the population"

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
I give blood regularly but since i went to Mali and had loads of innoculations, i cant give blood for another 8 months frown

But everyone should do it!

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

eek Eek thats abit shockingly irrisponsible, you cant just go giving blood without going through the usuall procedures first though, what would the world come too if that was the norm

Yes, its shockingly irresponsible to save a childs life. Of course it is.

rolleyes

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

What I don't get is why he couldn't donate just before the case rather than having to stop in the middle of it all.

If I were going to guess I would say they'd rather try and do the surgery with a surgeon who has *not* just donated blood, given lightheadedness/ other side effects...

I mean we all know surgeons are superhuman but better not to stack the odds. What I don't get is why we couldn't find a nurse or somebody with the same/ a useful blood type....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
 Written by: foxindocks

herpes?

i checked the australian red cross blood service website and they didnt have anything about herpes, if you really want to know i suppose you could call the information hotline.

Written by: kyrian

What I don't get is why we couldn't find a nurse or somebody with the same/ a useful blood type....

the article said both the child and the surgeon had (i think) B+ blood type, this is the second rarest blood type after AB-, which would mean they couldnt find enough elligable donors and thats why their stocks ran out causing the surgeon to need to donate.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
B-, maybe? Because if you're + you can take - blood, but not the other way around.

If you had AB- blood you'd be in pretty ok shape tho, cos you can take any negative blood, now imagine having O-.....

Pretty crazy set of coincidences when you consider it tho!!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kyrian

I mean we all know surgeons are superhuman but better not to stack the odds. What I don't get is why we couldn't find a nurse or somebody with the same/ a useful blood type....

Honestly, Kyri, I've run across some O- and even A-, but never a B-. I think I've only ever seen a B+ once or twice.

If the best match for the patient is available, then you should use it. Although that would never be allowed in the US.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura