Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Do YOU hit yourself alot while practicing??

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
xomspinnernewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Hiya people!! This is my first thread in this Forums, and I thought this subject should be in here. If that isn't the case, I'm really sorry and please correct me smile *Gives fire staff* have fun!

Anyway, to get to the point, while practicing I usually hit myself in the head, leg and belly lots! Lol, it's something I have to work on.

When you are practicing.. do you hit yourself a lot? and if so, and you found a cure for that, this could be a good place to share that information to save up on bandages.

Post away !! biggrin

-- Support Creativity, Don't Steal It --

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
to all guys who gets sacked in the sack here is what I told my guy friends

soft poi & cup....there is a reason they are made smile it works so well

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

awakenSILVER Member
The Evil Pixie (apparently)
716 posts

Posted:
yeah hitting yourself in the boobies isnt too nice, but we have it a little better than the boys with their thingy things. mind you, hitting yourself in the box is a bit shocking too ubblol

I'm just getting sick of burning my hair off. I think I'm too cool to wear a bandana (jokingly) but I teach myself a lesson every time... only I dont think I learnt it too well....

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Ry: I can't hear you. I'm listening to The Spice Girls.

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
I don't know one guy that's tried poi that hasn't joked or made a passing comment about wearing a cup/box/protector... also don't know why guy that actually does.

We all take a hit every now and then... if you don't, then you're just not pushing hard enough. wink

Oi, pip... a bandana is usually my solution to the burnt, crackly hair situation. What are u trying to say? Hmmm?

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha nothing.... ahhhhh nothing... biggrin

he he he... dont worrry it will bandana's, beanies and banana's all the way for me tonight, I think. what? who said.. ummm... nevermind..

Pat, Pat! say you're coming to moonfest tonight !?

rock hopping, hop-scotching, pippy pocky stocking - Sureau - wink thanks Jen! biggrin

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
mmm... was supposed to be going to moonfest, pip... and I hadn't missed one since finding out about it back just before the easter one this year...

but I'm sick... asthma+cold turned into flu, turned into chest infection... so I'm drugged to the eyeballs @ home and will be that for the next couple days, I reckon... frown

and... pixie? definitely... evil? wouldn't have picked it... smile

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha... yeah the name got brought up again at moonfest. One of my old friends always used to say that I always look so innocent that I can get away with just about anything.. I'm actually pretty good at it. If you just deny deny deny then smile sweetly... you can pass just about anything off... Theres a few other tricks to it as well. I can teach you... try it one time pat!

So yeah this friend used to tell stories of the crazy lunacy we'd get up to, but people wouldnt even believe it.. cause I can be really really well behaved when I want to. She dubbed me the Evil Pixie... i hope my secrets not out! ha ha... im not reeeeeeeeeaaaly evil... just a little bit naughty and only sometimes. Everyone has to be a little naughty sometimes.
devil

Bummer about missing you at moonfest... I hope you get better soon... get the echinaecia tea and vicks out. Oh hell, but nothing beats some good chemical drugs... *sniggers*

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
Yikes... that was all a bit offtopic

sorry guys.....

I hit my head with my staff last night and now I have an 'ouch button' there?

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
lol... ye, I noticed the off-topic-ness too... but it's habit with me... I can de-rail anything... ta, pip... I hope I get better soon too, so I don't have to have any more time off work...

note to self: find the vicks... was only just talking about vicks last night...

on topic-ness... ummm... ok, I *haven't* hit myself with poi for at least, ummm... I'd say a couple weeks... and eek!! eek head+staff is bad combo hug

KittyKillenthusiast
365 posts

Posted:
for when comes to breast ..I use turtels no pain for me there every where else....ya pain

Have you ever notice that poi is spelled backwords on the key board.............................................creepycool

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
ha ha.. yeah I havent been hitting myself with the poi too much lately. Thats not to say there not some close shaves, and when they're alight that doesn't leave much room for error (hence the lepper-esq "haircut". I just pretend that im making some kind of statement with my radically unveven hair. 'Hey! its ment to be that way! ummmm)

Only just picked up the staff recently, after having eyes only for my poi-love.. so yeah bit unco there. Tops me up on my ouch 'button/googy egg' counts. I reckon you can do more damage to yourself with a staff!!

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Oooh I did a great one the other week. Hit me right between my eyes bending the bridge of my glasses. I actually had a bruised line where my glasses were pushed into my nose.

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
Owy!... *kisses kash on nose* ...better?

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Oooh hug

I managed a nice burn the other day too. Usually when I hit myself witht he fire poi (which will inevitably happen) it glances off and just leaves a sooty smear behind, but I managed to catch myself on the underside of my upper arm where the skin is thin, made a little red square (cathedral wick) and was *really* annoyingly sore for couple of days. Gone now though.

Note to self: with fire poi, you can't just stop in the middle of a move that isn't quite working.

Yeah, I am after more kisses ubbloco ubblove

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
ha ha ha ha fishing for kisses. I thought so...I like your style!

*smooooch*

I have a little chain burn on my arm......?

*waits expectantly*

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Yeah yeah you get kisses too, just this once :P

awakenSILVER Member
716 posts

Posted:
*smug smile*

Dont underestimate my powers of weasling some more out of you....

*runs off to draw up a plan jay and silent bob style*

Pogo69SILVER Member
3,764 posts

Posted:
shameless, pip... shameless... I have much to learn from your evil, evil ways...

as for the hitting thing... btb weave seems a very good way to get hit a lot... every single time I try, *whack* in the chest

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
yes, I do. And sometimes I also hit others ... but that usually only happens when I walk along the streets while spinning ...
however, it turns out guys seem to like that. They always start smiling at me then. I think if I really wanted to, I could have gotten quite a few dates like that
(even though I don't know whether I want to date guys that like to be hit with pois ...)

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah hitting yourself happens all the time, it dosent matter how long you might have been spinning for. Also poi hit the ground, they hit each other, sometimes they even fly off under there own power.

I got these pair of really sweet LED poi, that have 7 different colours loaded into them, which can be set to one constant colour, alternate quikcly between each one, or fade slowly. All with the press of one button.

The only problem with them is there are housed in this rediculously brittle and hollow shell that is stupidly large at 7cm in diamiter, while the LED unit is a little under 4cm's (stupid). After three days one cracked and had to be replaced. I sent an e-mail to the shop I bought it from and got this bullshit e-mail back saying they have recieved no complaints about the product, or had to send replacments in the post to customers, and I was advised they are not for 'new spinners'. mad

Oh by the way, these are Starburst Glow Poi (bought from sonic stars), avoid them unless you can find a way to replace the poi head with a better one.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
not been properly hit for a long time but then yesterday i was rudely awoken far too early with a fone call from crazyhippychick tellin me i need to come to the park and bring my poi cos she forgot hers

and being far too sleepy i smacked myself on left shoulder proper harsh

but despite the pain i havent played today, so i shall be pushin pain barriers lol

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Imaginary_GraceBRONZE Member
53 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brit_Joe

I got these pair of really sweet LED poi, that have 7 different colours loaded into them, which can be set to one constant colour, alternate quikcly between each one, or fade slowly. All with the press of one button.....
Oh by the way, these are Starburst Glow Poi (bought from sonic stars), avoid them unless you can find a way to replace the poi head with a better one.

I bought those off ebay at £10.00 cheaper because they are stained pink in places. Yesterday I whacked myself on the side of the head twice in the same place within 2 minutes with the Starbursts.I had to go and lay down, still have a headache from that frown

Anyway so far I have smacked my head. the ground, and hit them together, and my friend managed to throw one and hit a wall with it, and so far no cracks....

I hit myself alot, but I am learning! I got a nice pair of pink fluffy poi from the HOP shop, and I use those alot because they cushion the blow. I have a friend who spins fire and she says the more you spin, the better you get a dodging them. People think you made a new move, but really you just didn't want to get hit! ubblol

The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head....

kashGOLD Member
Dangerous cynic
166 posts

Posted:
Heh heh, I have some the the ebay seconds, sonic stars. They are a little naff, of perhaps I have been spoiled by the lovely LED poi I got from HOP.
IMO they are too large and light. I swapped the chain for a nylon cord (so the poi would be a little heavier than the cord) and that helped a bit.
They also don't have a consistant light, on time lapse photography they appear to pulse/flicker, which means you get a trail of dots rather than a line.
Compare this (sonic stars): https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1
To this (HOP): https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Hi there just to add my 2 cents worth
If you havent hit yourself in the balls recently then your not learning!

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Just had a revelation
Not everybody out the has balls and if this is the case please apply whatever term you feel is most apropriate.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
i got myself in my left ear. the ear that has six piercings in it all the way up. that hurt. shortly before that i let my friend Seb have a go, and with five seconds he was writhing around on the grass.... it was mean, but i just could not stop laughing. bless!

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
I smack myself all the time, but Im still learning... im a very very new newbie smile But last night, I FINALLY got the 3 beat weave, have no idea why I couldnt do it before, I always always smacked my head, got the poi tangled, or did something messed up. Then last night, I just relaxed and tried it slow, and I got it, I just kept doing it over and over and now I have no idea how I could never do it before. WOOT for learning new moves!

But I still smack myself often smile

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I spent a year with people thinking I either needed to eat more liver "for the iron," take prenatal vitamins (same darned reason!), dump my "obviously abusive boyfriend," or some combination of all of the above.

TTN finally stopped evading me, and the "helpful advice" has stopped. *phew* ubblol

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
i managed to hit myself in the face with my fire poi whilst they were lit the other day. that was a scary experience.

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

Dream_CatcherMember
7 posts

Posted:
actually YES... because every poi hits to its owner.. i havent got any hits from 12 but my neck still hurts... smile smile smile

Your shadow is my Dream.. and my Dream is your nightmare..

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I generally beat myself silly at every opportunity!

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Page: